The Student Room Group

Tories plan to stop under 25s getting any benefits

if they win the General Election.

Do you agree with this? It looks like a very controversial policy.

Its suggesting that everyone should have a job but how can this be the case when there are at most 600,000 jobs advertised in the UK and at least 2.5 million unemployed its impossible for every single person to find a job. Also what about those with disabilities who can't work are the Tories going to stop them getting benefits as well?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Also what about those with disabilities who can't work are the Tories going to stop them getting benefits as well?

I'm assuming that it would exclude the disabled.
They announced this ages ago, and it just proves how out of touch Cameron and his multi-million pound bank balance are with the real world.
Given last time this was "announced" the quote from Cameron didn't bear any relation to the headline, can you reproduce the Conservatives' actual statement on this issue?
How many under 25s have their career sorted? Not many. Cameron needs to get it into his head that if you're on benefits, it's not because you're lazy. All the people I know who have got JSA have genuinely been looking (impeccably hard, might I add) for a job.
If you're under 25 and unemployed - because let's face it, getting a job isn't as easy as it used to be - how are you going to have any money at all? Unless your parents help you out, but that just adds more strain on them which isn't fair, parents already do enough for us imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Its suggesting that everyone should have a job but how can this be the case when there are at most 600,000 jobs advertised in the UK and at least 2.5 million unemployed its impossible for every single person to find a job. Also what about those with disabilities who can't work are the Tories going to stop them getting benefits as well?

Where's your link?

Or is this just idle speculation?
Original post by MatureStudent36
So they're not stopping under 25s getting any benefits, just some benefits.

Yes but housing benefits and JSA are the main ones if you are not entitled to that then I quite frankly do not know how people will survive.
Bitter old men couldn't care less about under-25s. They should magic jobs and houses out their arse, it was easy enough for the Baby Boomers, it should be easy for the rest.
Sounds like a plan

*lights cigar*
It must be so fun for all those unemployed 18-25 year olds, who can't find a job, and are seeing their adult life torn away from them as their stripped of their benefits, and being increasingly forced to rely on their parents and family again.
Reply 12
completely ridiculous idea. If young people are struggling to get by, they have less time and energy to look for a job and less chance of getting any experience. taking JSA and housing allowance away means people have even less of a chance to get on the job ladder - unless their parents can support them. So basically, people from lower-income families would struggle to have the energy/time/money to get a job (how do you pay for suits for interviews, transport to interviews, internet & phone for contacting employers when you can barely eat?) while people whose parents can support them have the luxury of all the support they need to find a job.

Poor people stay poor and rich people stay rich. truly revolutionary.
Its just some benefits, and the one Osborne has been saying is Housing Benefits which Is ridiculous when you think of housing prices, but guess they'll point to help2buy or the amount living with their parents something silly.It unlikely this will happen as I doubt(and hope!) LibDs and Labour will oppose this and it doesn't seem likely that the Conservatives will have a strong lead come 2015.
Original post by andrew2209
It must be so fun for all those unemployed 18-25 year olds, who can't find a job, and are seeing their adult life torn away from them as their stripped of their benefits, and being increasingly forced to rely on their parents and family again.

I'm more concerned about the ones who get kicked out of their home at age 15 and end up slipping through the gaps in the system, and eventually wind up committing crime in nice middle/upper working class neighborhoods.
Reply 15
And the war on the young continues.

Great. Not only will I be unemployed living at home after graduation, but now I won't be able to contribute anything to pay for my board. My family will be even worse off now, great. Thanks David Cameron, you're creating a disdain for your party in a whole new generation of voters.
Reply 16
Is this to do with that absolute tosser George Osborne? I thought he was talking about just stopping housing benefits for people under the age of 25? Which I don't agree with either.
Reply 17
This simply isn't true.
Reply 18
Yeah, how can Cameron preach to me about how to live my life with all his cash in the bank. Thank god there is Ed Milliband, a man who lives on next to nothing every day, there to make sure that the working class like me are doing Ok.

Grow up and get a job for gods sake. Anyone that says there's "no jobs" out there are just absolutely lazy. I tried that argument with my parents and they didn't accept it, so I realised I had to get a job that was maybe not at my "level" and now I'm doing absolutely fantastically.

Stop blaming everyone else and take some responsibility. Get a job.
Original post by Huskaris
Yeah, how can Cameron preach to me about how to live my life with all his cash in the bank. Thank god there is Ed Milliband, a man who lives on next to nothing every day, there to make sure that the working class like me are doing Ok.

Grow up and get a job for gods sake. Anyone that says there's "no jobs" out there are just absolutely lazy. I tried that argument with my parents and they didn't accept it, so I realised I had to get a job that was maybe not at my "level" and now I'm doing absolutely fantastically.

Stop blaming everyone else and take some responsibility. Get a job.

There approximately 2.5 million people looking for work and 500000 vacancies.

Aye seems like there's plenty of jobs to go round :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending