The Student Room Group

Can you become a healthcare assistant with AS levels?

I'm asking if it's possible to become a healthcare assistant of care home assistant with AS/A2 levels as opposed to an NVQ level 2/3 qualification. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Yeah I think the only difficulty is that a lot of places look for previous experience.
Original post by Akpanudo
I'm asking if it's possible to become a healthcare assistant of care home assistant with AS/A2 levels as opposed to an NVQ level 2/3 qualification. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Often the NVQ training is done "on the job" so many people join care homes etc with little or no experience - they work towards their qualifications with a mentor (often someone in the environment too) and do some coursework with it. Your qualifications won't give you a higher salary than someone with no qualifications at all but obviously being educated and enthusiastic to learn is a bonus for them when looking to employ you.
Original post by Akpanudo

I've been working in a care home at weekends for the past six months along side sixth form. I had no previous experience at all, they took me on and did my first aid training, manual handling etc once I'd started working. It can be done :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gcses alone will get you a HCA job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending