The Student Room Group

The FGM debate thread?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation
Hello, this is a thread to debate FGM all thoughts (so long as they are well intentioned) are welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
here's my point of view:
FGM = bad
MGM = also bad
therefore, we should criminal both of them
who's with me?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
What debate? There's nothing to defend. Genital mutilation is cruel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by captain.sensible
here's my point of view:
FGM = bad
MGM = also bad
who's with me?

Um, everyone. I doubt that anybody would actually try to encourage the practice of genital mutilation.

The reason FGM in particular is getting so much attention lately is because of the sheer popularity of it. In some countries, for instance, it's practically compulsory if you are female. For girls of those cultures currently living in the UK, school holidays are usually the "cutting season", it's all very sick. Practically all FGM gets rid of the clitoris, thus stopping girls and women from ever having orgasms. (As far as I'm aware, circumcision definitely doesn't do that... not to mention that circumcised men aren't at risk of death because of their circumcision. And you don't get hordes of 13, 14, 15 year old boys living in England involuntarily shipped off to their home country in the holidays to undergo it. i.e. idk why you brought up male circumcision because the OP was specifically referring to FGM?)
Original post by LookCloser
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation
Hello, this is a thread to debate FGM all thoughts (so long as they are well intentioned) are welcome.

whats the debate question, because I refuse to believe you are suggesting that we debate its merits and demerits :smile:
Original post by Катя
Um, everyone. I doubt that anybody would actually try to encourage the practice of genital mutilation.

The reason FGM in particular is getting so much attention lately is because of the sheer popularity of it. In some countries, for instance, it's practically compulsory if you are female. For girls of those cultures currently living in the UK, school holidays are usually the "cutting season", it's all very sick. Practically all FGM gets rid of the clitoris, thus stopping girls and women from ever having orgasms. (As far as I'm aware, circumcision definitely doesn't do that... not to mention that circumcised men aren't at risk of death because of their circumcision. And you don't get hordes of 13, 14, 15 year old boys living in England involuntarily shipped off to their home country in the holidays to undergo it. i.e. idk why you brought up male circumcision because the OP was specifically referring to FGM?)

the objective and goal of both FGM and MGM is to reduce sexual pleasure for the inflicted parties. therefore, what is the difference? if I punch you lightly and you hurt, in comparison to if I punch you hard and you hurt a lot more, are you still willing to argue that you shouldn't be defended against getting punched however hard it is? the logic is the same if you're saying "it's not as bad as an extreme, therefore, leave it legal regardless of the human rights abuse involved" which is absurd and deeply unprincipled
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Катя

Because people like you defend MGM...?
Reply 8
Original post by ehiamour
whats the debate question, because I refuse to believe you are suggesting that we debate its merits and demerits :smile:

No nothing so crude as that. More of an analysis of it and why it has gathered support.

Eg

Jomo Keynetta argued that FGM was the "conditio sine qua non of the whole teaching of tribal law, religion and morality." Jomo was a serious academic and I believe Keyna's first prime minister.
Reply 9
Original post by Катя
What debate? There's nothing to defend. Genital mutilation is cruel.

I am interested in a non emotional analysis of FGM. Also comparisons to MGM are welcome as a contrast
Reply 10
the objective and goal of both FGM and MGM is to reduce sexual pleasure for the inflicted parties. therefore, what is the difference? if I punch you lightly and you hurt, in comparison to if I punch you hard and you hurt a lot more, are you still willing to argue that I shouldn't be defended against getting punched? the logic is the same if you're saying "it's not as bad as an extreme, therefore, leave it legal regardless of the human rights abuse involved"

No, MGM was popular as it was seen to be more hygienic. Same reason many people didn't eat pork.

Although I agree with you that both should be banned, they are in no way equivalent in terms of their goals or outcomes.
the objective and goal of both FGM and MGM is to reduce sexual pleasure for the inflicted parties. therefore, what is the difference? if I punch you lightly and you hurt, in comparison to if I punch you hard and you hurt a lot more, are you still willing to argue that you shouldn't be defended against getting punched? the logic is the same if you're saying "it's not as bad as an extreme, therefore, leave it legal regardless of the human rights abuse involved"

Not the goal of MGM.

Original post by LookCloser
No nothing so crude as that. More of an analysis of it and why it has gathered support.

Eg

Jomo Keynetta argued that FGM was the "conditio sine qua non of the whole teaching of tribal law, religion and morality." Jomo was a serious academic and I believe Keyna's first prime minister.

I didn't know that, thats ridiculous. All I can suggest is that some cultures practices are so deeply ingrained they find it hard to acknowledge when the practice is wrong? For example, in some places people are still stoned to death for Adultery.
Reply 12
here's my point of view:
FGM = bad
MGM = also bad
who's with me?

An interesting proposition.
Reply 13
what debate?
Reply 14
Not the goal of MGM.

I didn't know that, thats ridiculous. All I can suggest is that some cultures practices are so deeply ingrained they find it hard to acknowledge when the practice is wrong? For example, in some places people are still stoned to death for Adultery.

Kenyetta was a well educated man and so I think he viewpoint needs to acknowledged, although obviously not agreed with! Is your viewpoint not perhaps culturally imperialist, how do you define right and wrong? I personally agree with you however, I think to eliminate FGM and indeed MGM a clear analysis needs to explored.
Not the goal of MGM.

the goal of MGM is to remove the foreskin which is the part of the penis that covers and thus sensitises the head of the penis. in effect, it (mgm) nullifies the sexual sensation of the penis. it is a religious ritual of sacrifice, or at least that's how it originated. did I mention that both female and male circumcision is horrifically painful and, in particular, not consented? what right does a parent have to negate sexual pleasure of their son in the same way they don't for a daughter?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Plainview
what debate?

More of an analysis than a debate. For instance someone has raised the point that. The general public have been so encouraged to accept other cultural practices etc that when it comes to FGM, there is an understandable fear that speaking out against it will be deemed "racist".
Reply 17
the goal of MGM is to remove the foreskin which is the part of the penis that covers and thus sensitises the head of the penis. in effect, it (mgm) nullifies the sexual sensation of the penis. it is a religious ritual of sacrifice, or at least that's how it originated. did I mention that both female and male circumcision is horrifically painful and, in particular, not consented? what right does a parent have to negate sexual pleasure of their son in the same way they don't for a daughter?

A well made point.
There is no debate to be had. FGM is bad and should be eradicated from the world.
Reply 19
Original post by Liquid Swordsman
There is no debate to be had. FGM is bad and should be eradicated from the world.

Again, it is not a simplistic dichotomy debate between bad and good, instead it is an analysis, about the origins of and development of FGM and how can it be stopped.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending