Beckapan10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys! I hope you can help me with this little issue. So I am a 22 year old student wanting to pursue my BA in Education/Special Education and cannot decide which school should be my last pick: Middlesex University or London South Bank University. As an international student, of course I want the school with the better course but I also want a school in a nice area, with good transport nearby... to enhance my overall experience . What do you think? Which one is the better pick?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beckapan10)
Hey guys! I hope you can help me with this little issue. So I am a 22 year old student wanting to pursue my BA in Education/Special Education and cannot decide which school should be my last pick: Middlesex University or London South Bank University. As an international student, of course I want the school with the better course but I also want a school in a nice area, with good transport nearby... to enhance my overall experience . What do you think? Which one is the better pick?
London South Bank is a joke of a university. Middlesex isn't great either, tbh, but I'd take Middlesex over SB any day. About the only advantage that SB has is that it's more central, but that is inevitably going to mean a longer commute, as very few people can choose to live in central London. Both are very close to tube stops though, so don't worry about transport too much.
Delta, Δ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
London South Bank is a joke of a university. Middlesex isn't great either, tbh, but I'd take Middlesex over SB any day. About the only advantage that SB has is that it's more central, but that is inevitably going to mean a longer commute, as very few people can choose to live in central London. Both are very close to tube stops though, so don't worry about transport too much.
What's wrong with LSB?
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Delta, Δ)
What's wrong with LSB?
It's generally got a dreadful reputation, and (though I'm not one for trusting league tables too much) generally languishes around the bottom of the league tables.

I'm not the only one who thinks so btw - try googling 'London South Bank reputation' and see what comes up.
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
Wow thanks so much for your help! I think I will go with middlesex instead, but why do you say middlesex isn't that great either? What's bad about it?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow thanks so much for your help! I think I will go with middlesex instead, but why do you say middlesex isn't that great either? What's bad about it?
Middlesex and London South Bank are two of the lowest ranked UK universities with very low entry requirements.
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
Ok well you guys clearly know a lot more than me when it comes to this haha, these are my picks: Leeds Metropolitan University, University of East London, Oxford Brookes University, Nottingham Trent University and then Middlesex University. Which one would you say is the best one overall (good academics, good location, good transport etc.)? I've looked online for reviews on them but they were all in favour of the schools... it's nice to get an honest opinion! Thanks so much!!
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok well you guys clearly know a lot more than me when it comes to this haha, these are my picks: Leeds Metropolitan University, University of East London, Oxford Brookes University, Nottingham Trent University and then Middlesex University. Which one would you say is the best one overall (good academics, good location, good transport etc.)? I've looked online for reviews on them but they were all in favour of the schools... it's nice to get an honest opinion! Thanks so much!!
Out of that lot, Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent are noticeably better than the others.

However, you seem to have got East London confused with South Bank?
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
no I didn't mix them up, I was looking for my 5th university choice ( one that has BA in Education/Special Education) and East London had a nice program... is there bad too??
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no I didn't mix them up, I was looking for my 5th university choice ( one that has BA in Education/Special Education) and East London had a nice program... is there bad too??
You've talked about six different unis though, when you can only apply to five via UCAS?

East London is just as bad as South Bank though, if not worse.
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
Well I had 4 picked already and I was just trying to fill the last place with either south bank or middlesex... so I was asking for some help to make my final decision. It's so upsetting though because I couldn't find many good undergrad Education programs in universities in good locations :confused:
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
where's a good place for BA of Education/Speech Education?
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Middlesex has never been a great poly or uni. They have very low entrance requirements and the student body is very high in both international students (often of quite low quality) and students who have very low grades or are for some reason deluded.

The pros are that it's not the worst university in London, and the campus is in quite a good location. Hendon is generally quite nice, extremely safe and near transport and a large shopping centre for PT employment. The only slight downsides are that two of the Halls are in slightly questionable areas - the Colindale one, on the site of the former RAF Hendon is next to Graeme Park Estate, historically exceptionally bad - but now improving. The other in Cricklewood isn't too bad - but is well out of walking distance to the university.

There are halls directly across the road to the main campus - that's where you want to be.

Where else to go for Education? University of London, IoE of course.
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
Oh great! Ok I'll check that out then.. thank you so much!
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
East London and LSBU shouldn't even be on your final list if you are into academics. Both of these schools essentially are junk places that are best avoided.

OBU and NTU are both very good universities, both have pretty good academics and quite value for money though I won't send my kids there as I don't particularly care much for ex-poly unis.

Middlesex? Generally not a good university and the neighbourhoods it is in isn't fantastic. Generally okay if all you want is a UK degree and vast majority of them tend to go there only for their final year as like many ex-poly they tend to have lots of links with overseas institutions that allows them to spend their final year in UK. Granted these days even Russell Group universities do that to a certain extent.

If you are an overseas student better ensure the institution you are applying into is recognized in your own country and what is its reputation within the country, some tend to see Middlesex as acceptable while many scoff at it
Beckapan10
Rep:
?
ok great! Thank you so much for your info, are there any schools that you suggest I look at? with a good Education/Special Education program?
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Liverpool Hope was originally a teacher training college, and whilst it's not much good for anything else, it is good for teaching degrees, and it does have an education and special educational needs degree.

Similarly, Manchester Met is one of the better ex-polys (rather like Trent) and has an Inclusive Education, Special Educational Needs and Disability Studies degree.

However, if you wish to be a teacher, then it's considered the norm to either
a) do a degree in the subject you'd like to teach or (for prospective primary school teachers) a national curriculum subject, followed by a PGCE / Teach First / School Direct
b) do a degree in primary education (for primary school teachers only); there is the option of doing this with special educational needs at some unis.

Do be aware that if an undergraduate degree doesn't say that it comes with QTS (qualified teacher status), you'll still have to do a PGCE / Teach First / School Direct afterwards if you want to work as a teacher in the UK.
Dusky Pheonix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Origami Bullets hey buddy can u help me here? I have chosen Middlesex University for "msc Network management and cloud computing". Can u tell me the good points for choosing the MDX over uni of Sunderland and metropolitan University for my interview credibility?
Middlesex University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dusky Pheonix)
Origami Bullets hey buddy can u help me here? I have chosen Middlesex University for "msc Network management and cloud computing". Can u tell me the good points for choosing the MDX over uni of Sunderland and metropolitan University for my interview credibility?
Hi, my name is Alex and I am ambassador at Middlesex.

Middlesex is great university which can provide you excellent facilities for studying. You can explore our campus here, during virtual tour: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/get-in-touch/virtual-tour Middlesex is about 10 minutes far away from Hendon Central station, where Northern Line works. You can also take a bus which will take you straight up to university. Our campus is new and modern.

Network management covers a wide area including performance reliability, security, fault, accounting and configuration management. This master's programme has been developed to meet the growing needs of a rapidly evolving sector of industry. The programme is designed as a full-time course including industrial experience whenever possible, or as a part-time programme. The modules taught on this programme present a well-balanced combination of the theory of computer networks, network management, and network security. Through gaining the essential and much needed skills of network security, you'll have the opportunity to work in a dedicated laboratory to experience security configuration for various systems. The modules taught on this programme include network systems and services, computer networks, wireless and mobile communication systems, network management, security and disaster recovery, and web-based information systems management. This is in addition to the computer communications project. These modules present a good combination of the theory of computer networks, their management and application. You can read more about this course here: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/postgr...ork-management

Our tutors at Middlesex are really supportive and students are priority for them. About student crowd, people are really friendly here. It's very easy to find friends. Student Union organise many opportunities for new students to feel welcome and meet new people. At the beggining of new academic year we have student fair, where you can explore all societies and sports groups at MDX. Middlesex is home for many international students, we have diverse environment

At Middlesex we have the MDX Work- it’s an employability service, free of charge for the students, where you can book and appointment or just pop in and ask for help with your CV, cover letter, finding a job, internship or a placement. I used their help several times and they are very helpful. They helped me to improve my CV and prepared me for interview. In my course tutors put a big pressure on the topic of future career and employability. They encourage us to do work placement or internships, so we will gain not only knowledge but also skills while being at university. I work for university as SLA (student learning assistant) and course ambassador. Both jobs are paid, have flexible hours of work and offer you great experience.

You can find accomodations at Middlesex here: https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/campus/accommodation

If you need more information, please contact me.

Best, Alex
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (184)
28.93%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.51%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.12%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.33%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.02%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.97%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.97%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.14%

Watched Threads