How to get an A* in Edexcel History

Watch
Devkj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is there a clear cut method to achieve this and is there a certain way you have to write, and by the way I am doing Medicine Through Time and the American West,
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Know the facts is important. Ensure you know as much detail as possible.

There is a specific exam question structure (my class have been given one for all 3 exams, all though we're doing Germany, Britain and wwI)

Ask your teacher if there's an exam structure that he/she can give which details how to answer questions correctly. It helped me as i was 3 marks off an A* on my mock in december..

Sent from my Nokia 3310 #retro
Devkj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobjim12)
Know the facts is important. Ensure you know as much detail as possible.

There is a specific exam question structure (my class have been given one for all 3 exams, all though we're doing Germany, Britain and wwI)

Ask your teacher if there's an exam structure that he/she can give which details how to answer questions correctly. It helped me as i was 3 marks off an A* on my mock in december..

Sent from my Nokia 3310 #retro
Thanks, much appreciated
a123a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is this GCSE? If it is I can help.

I got an A* in Edexcel History spec B. I did medicine and treatment and American west.
To revise, I would first read the textbook given. Then I would summarise each section and write notes (or mind maps etc...). Then I would memorise the notes and make sure I knew the key stages in chronological order. Move on the past papers, and look at the mark scheme to see the points given there. Add any that you don't know to your notes. (Keep your notes short)
For essays skills make sure you can write clearly and cut the waffle; no "I'm going to assess the impacts...blah blah blah". English was my weakest subject but with practice it improved drastically. I'm more mathematically-minded so I combined memorising notes with essay writing skills to make sure I aced the exams. You could also do past papers and let your teacher mark them; they can also help you structure your essay.
Time management is key for History exams. Make sure you leave enough time for the end question.
For the source question make sure you infer and not just describe.

Hope this helps...
a123a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This got me 100%ums in American west and my source exam (which is unit 4).
Devkj
Rep:
?
(Original post by a123a)
Is this GCSE? If it is I can help.

I got an A* in Edexcel History spec B. I did medicine and treatment and American west.
To revise, I would first read the textbook given. Then I would summarise each section and write notes (or mind maps etc...). Then I would memorise the notes and make sure I knew the key stages in chronological order. Move on the past papers, and look at the mark scheme to see the points given there. Add any that you don't know to your notes. (Keep your notes short)
For essays skills make sure you can write clearly and cut the waffle; no "I'm going to assess the impacts...blah blah blah". English was my weakest subject but with practice it improved drastically. I'm more mathematically-minded so I combined memorising notes with essay writing skills to make sure I aced the exams. You could also do past papers and let your teacher mark them; they can also help you structure your essay.
Time management is key for History exams. Make sure you leave enough time for the end question.
For the source question make sure you infer and not just describe.

Hope this helps...
Thanks alot this really helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads