A level English is killing me!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
scozy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It is unbelievably hard!!

I can't seem to be able to get my coursework essay right!! The topic is an analysis of love in Shakespeares play Much Ado About Nothing.

If anyone can help me then please get in contact. Thankyou
Wally
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What is the point of doing ENGLISH. You stupid person!!!!!!!!1
scozy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I am doing A level English because I find it very interesting, and I prefer it to maths and science. It is just the extreme indepth analysis that is hard. Don't bother to reply to me if you are going to be rude next time.

Thanks
LIL_RIA
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hey scozy i'm in exactly the same dillema as you.!! Infact i just wrote my Much Ado coursework before the winter hols and i still haven't found out how i did. We get to do Hamlet as well and choose which ones better but yeah as much as i love English, the 'in depth analysis' bit is terribly hard. Unfortunately i have a pretty **** class...they never get into discussions! So it's extra hard on the teacher. I don't think i could really help with your coursework (mine was an analysis of marriage) but i'd love to get in touch. U can mail me at [email protected]. Btw what other exam texts are u doing?
scozy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi, thanks for replying!

I am also doing The Handmaids Tale, it is seriously weird!! All about men being in complete control of everything, and woman enrolled for different jobs!! Then I am doing Victorian Poetry, Tennyson, Browning, and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, then I am doing The Glass Menagerie.
What are you doing?
I will send you an e-mail in a bit!!
Thanks for being so nice, obviously the female species have a better understanding of the REAL world!!

Susie
LIL_RIA
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
LOL! 'course girl!!! My Lit teacher is a total feminist, so we're the doing 'The Rover' as our Drama text. It all about women women women - treatment, stereotyping, prostitutes, the whole thang! I'm also doing the Edexcel set anthology for Poetry, we haven't really started that, and Hard Times for Prose.
Well i guess i'll wait 4 ur mail then! btw d'u have msn?
cheers sis
Ria
scozy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi Ria,

yeah, I have MSN but I can't get it all of the time as I am at school and it doesn't work very well here!!! The Handmaids Tale is all about feminist issues as well, it must be the in thing at the moment on the English Examaning Boards!!

Got to go as I haven't slept since 5.30am on Saturday and it is now 8.40pm on Sunday!! Wild weekend!!

Speak soon

Susie
Human01
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Several issues are obvious here.

Firstly, you take English as an AS subject - which is profoundly easy - yet cannot actually form too many decent sentences.

Secondly, you appear to be incredibly insecure: for no apparent reason you feel the need to try and make your lowly gender appear somehow better (at understanding the "real world").
This merely proves your lack of integrity, and shows how threatened you must feel.

English is an easy subject. It is a subject aimed at people who are stupid, but have strong opinions. It allows these people to express their [somewhat worthless] opinions, and justifies judgement.
I pity the fact that you feel so threatened and disrespectful towards yourself, and hence resort to hatred and fear as substitutes to intellectual reasoning.

Furthermore, mathematics and science are undoubtedly the most important subjects in existence.
Pointless, talentless subjects, such as drama, English and art, are obviously subjects of leisure rather than structure: fanciful subjects centred around tolerance of idiots.

Just because you cannot succeed at mathematics or science, does not give you the right to attempt to lower their status.
Doing so simply proves your idiocy, jugdementalism and thorough lack of true knowledge: which you hide by constructing a fear-clad wall of artifical superiority.
I suggest you get over yourself, then look to your own (multitude of) weaknesses before criticising subjects and people that you have no knowledge of.

This, if anything, is why women are rarely granted equal status to men: because women are unfortunately ridden with insecurity and a lust to appear better than they are.
You can entertain yourself with foolish texts of hatred all you want, but when you wake up to reality, you will have to come to terms with this eventually.
therock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Human 01 is a genius, I totaly agree with his wonderful point of view, I think you should really catch a grip on your self ASAP.

Thanks
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
english teaches you qualities that can be applied to \lmost any other subject you care to think of - the analysis skills it gives you are so valuable that an english degree can get you almost any job in the world, unlike a physics degree.
english is a beautiful, amazing subject, and if you disagree with this you clearly lack the intelligence to do it at A-level anyway.
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
PS Human01, keep thinking like that and you'll be reading those physics text books alone for the rest of your miserable life,
whereas i fully intend too woo my beloved with shakespeare, keats, wordsworth, donne....slightly more romantic than e=mc2, wouldn't you agree?
tell you what, we'll all meet back here in 10 years, and see who is happily married and writing for the times, and who is alone in a lab throwing apples at the floor and counting them bounce, using arithmetic sequences to predict the height of the next bounce, using the cosine rule to work out.....
scozy
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thankyou therock and loon, I think that people like you two who stick up for others, even when you don't know me, will go far in life, and make decent friendships and form solid loving relationships.
Thankyou again, hope to speak to you both soon, bye.
genius_02
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
ive got an english exam 2mw on the anthology adn if ANYON can please help me on wot i need to revise? i would be real grateful cos u would be saving my but!! so please get back 2 me B4 2mw!!! thanx! :confused:
Eternal_Rugburn
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Several issues are obvious here.

First, Human 01 is a genius.

Secondly, for all of us insecure wrecks out there who are incapable of forming a decent sentence, don't be discouraged. In my opinion, I would agree that English, in my experience of it at GCSE and AS level, is not the subject it should be. They ifar too easy and require no understand when even completely robotic approach to the subject can allow one to do well, simply mentioning obscure techincal vocabulary earns you the mark (without necessarily having any idea of its relevance or function).

In spite of this, we must never take anti-arts propoganda seriously. How ignorant and unfortunate most English students are those who will never understand the beauty and insight that science offers, just because they are too wrapped up in the whole "I am an artist, look at me read poetry," vibe. Well how much more beautiful could any subject be, only with science is there a chance to stare God in the face, as you begin to understand the in workings of this perfect universe!! Not just any beauty but the most fundemental beauty, the beauty of wonder- science students we are incomparably lucky, in that They have a chance to see and understand all of this, of which we arts students can only dream. Consequently, they are able to express themselves so diversely and imaginatively, that it astonishes me how anyone (who maybe isn't trying to cause a stir for the sake of it) could proclaim that science is superfluous and unnecessary...

Oh **** I got my English exam tomorrow! Pity me.
Eternal_Rugburn
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Last edited by matthew on 05-24-2002 at 10:55 AM
Bookworm
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Aha!

Now this is a play that I know lots about! It is one of my favouritesand I have studied it many times. I am happy to help you if you wish..

What do want to know?

The Bookworm
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed