Danderlilly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I'm wanting to know if anyone can help me or can shed some light on my situation.

I am a Scottish student applying to an English University and have been made a conditional offer.

My basic question is will SAAS help pay my 9k tuition for University for the 4 years I will be there???

I have previously studied a HNC/HND but that was Art and Design.
I now want to go to university to study Korean, a completely different subject area. I checked a pdf by SAAS and it said that if a student changes a subject area of study then they can be entitled to full payment of their new course if it's a different subject area. (All to so with new '+1' system) Regardless if they have previously studied a HNC/D.

I have tried phoning SAAS but i get no luck either i get passed to the wrong person, or i'm left on the phone for hours (exaggeration). I still keep trying but no luck.

Much help would be appreciated to anyone and everyone.
mythtakes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They will only pay tuition fees if you are studying in Scotland: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug..._available.htm. What you've said about changing course is correct, yes (check example 7 here as it applies to you: https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf). You'll be entitled to a loan/bursary, but not tuition fees.
Danderlilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by mythtakes)
They will only pay tuition fees if you are studying in Scotland: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug..._available.htm. What you've said about changing course is correct, yes (check example 7 here as it applies to you: https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf). You'll be entitled to a loan/bursary, but not tuition fees.
I'm a little confused now (Got through to someone at SAAS)
They said i would be entitled to payment for just years 2,3 and 4 and that i would have to pay my university 9k fees for 1st year??

I mentioned the plus one but apparently this only allows for payment of my second year as i have only 2 years of payment left after my HNC/D.
(Just to say i only had to apply once for my art course it wasn't 2 separate courses, HND year 1 and 2)

I'm really stressing now, if thats the case i can't go to uni as i can't afford the 9k fees.
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Student finance go by years of study not by how many years you received funding. Your HND was 2 years so...

New course (4years) - previous studies (2years) + 1 gift year = entitled to 3 years funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gillybop
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As mentioned above, loan/bursary you will get, tuition you will have to stump up yourself.
SELiza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind. I'm kinda in the same situation. I live in Scotland and I studied a HNC. I'll be entering first year at uni in September in Scotland. So this means SAAS won't pay my uni tuition fees, but will give me a bursary? Can someone confirm? I thought it was the other way around for some reason!

Does anyone know how this money has to be paid? I.e. do I pay it in one lump sum before the start of uni in September, can I pay through direct debit? Any help is appreciated!
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SELiza)
Hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind. I'm kinda in the same situation. I live in Scotland and I studied a HNC. I'll be entering first year at uni in September in Scotland. So this means SAAS won't pay my uni tuition fees, but will give me a bursary? Can someone confirm? I thought it was the other way around for some reason!

Does anyone know how this money has to be paid? I.e. do I pay it in one lump sum before the start of uni in September, can I pay through direct debit? Any help is appreciated!
Since you get a +1 year of funding, you should get your 4 years paid for you (assuming the HNC was 1 year).
SELiza
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
Since you get a +1 year of funding, you should get your 4 years paid for you (assuming the HNC was 1 year).
Yep the HNC was only for one year. OK, thank you! You've kind of put my mind to rest lol
Danderlilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knalchemist)
Student finance go by years of study not by how many years you received funding. Your HND was 2 years so...

New course (4years) - previous studies (2years) + 1 gift year = entitled to 3 years funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry its been a while,
Wondering if you could answer another query.
Even if i can't get student finance for 1st year at an English Uni could i still apply for a loan for the 9k in first year??
Bluebells60
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a single parent who's daughter is going to uni. Is there any extra help other than loan, bursary, grants etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Danderlilly)
Hi, sorry its been a while,
Wondering if you could answer another query.
Even if i can't get student finance for 1st year at an English Uni could i still apply for a loan for the 9k in first year??
... no.

You can only receive a maintenance loan.
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bluebells60)
I'm a single parent who's daughter is going to uni. Is there any extra help other than loan, bursary, grants etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really.

If you're a single parent on a low wage your daughter will be more than comfortable at University money wise.
Bluebells60
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mmm. Don't think so lol. I have two small children too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Individual universities will have a number of scholarships and bursaries for widening access that you should look into if you haven't already.
Bluebells60
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ok thanks.
Bluebells60
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
do i need to apply for these direct to the university once i sort out funding elsewhere.
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
do i need to apply for these direct to the university once i sort out funding elsewhere.
Scholarships and bursaries go direct to the university or charity. All the info will be on each individual university website.
stvnmurphy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello i am hijacking the hijackers thread please excuse new here and don't know where or how to post exactly. My situation is this last year i was studying HNC Construction Management and for reasons i shall not go into i missed the last two months of the year i believe there was only two units remaining. Do i have to re-sit the full year? Which i am thinking will be the case if so will SAAS fund me? Someone told me i should just progress onto HND? I am really baffled as to where i stand if anyone can enlighten me it would be much appreciated,
Steven Murphy
Bluebells60
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When can we start an application for September 2015 starts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Danderlilly
Rep:
?
I think it's only from the April every year, so you'll have to wait until then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (646)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.61%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads