The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Help with philosophy interview at Southampton

I have an interview at the University of Southampton next week. I'm applying to do English and Philosophy, but it seems only the philosophy department want the interview. It's my first and only one, and it's where I really want to go. What questions are they going to ask me, aside from the obvious? Any advice hugely appreciated.
Reply 1
Im going to the Philosophy Visit Day at Soton on the 26th too. Good luck to you, Its my only choice so I need to get in aswell!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hi, hope you're interview went well! I too have an interview at Southampton for Philosophy and Economics, could I perhaps have an insight into what they asked you? Thanks!
Reply 3
I heard it's not as formal as most interviews. It's almost like a casual chat about what you wrote on your personal statement. Just make sure you know what you wrote in your head. I've got mine on the 26th for philosophy and English too...Good Luck
Reply 4
Cheers, straight back at you. If I remember Ill update this with how I got on.
Reply 5
The interview was so relaxed and informal, I dont even think the guy who interviewed me read my personal statment because he didnt know anything but my name and didnt ask questions on it. He only asked two questions really, which were why Southampton? and why Philosophy? The rest was just a chinwag. I didnt think they could make any kind of decision based on the interview and thought this was more like a pre-offer 'choose Southampton' day. Which is plausable seeing as I got my unconditional offer today! So pleased! Best of luck to any of you waiting and if you do get an offer, good luck with ur exams/results!
Reply 6
Wow...congradulations. My interview wasn't that bad either. The guy asked me about my personal statement and if I'm enjoying my a levels. Then we talked about the weather, the floods and had a mini debate. Im still waiting for an offer though :frown: good luck your exam and congradulations :smile:
Reply 7
Is this the visit day tomorrow (5th March)? If so I'm going as well! Might sound really pathetic but do you know if we should dress up smart? Informal interview suggest smart casual which always has me stumped!!!
Reply 8
I went on February 26th. I wore black jeans a smart top and a black blazer. Don't wear a whole pant suit but put in a bit of effort. Most people where wearing casual clothes. Wear comfortable shoes because there was a lot of walking(outdoors) involved . What I wore was certainly good enough since they gave me the offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending