beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I hold a BA(hons) 2:2 in Drama and an MA in music but having spent some time in a school I'm not keen to teach these subjects.

I would like to teach food tech because I got As in it at gcse and A level and I have a genuine passion for it and would feel more comfortable teaching this because I'm not the arty type person I was when I chose to do my degrees.

All unis have advised me that to do food tech pgce I need a degree in this subject and I'm excited to say that I've now got a place on an MSc in food.

Would doing this degree help me get where I want? I can afford (with difficulty) an MSc but absolutely not another BSc/BA.

Does your experience as a teacher really vary much depending on the subject you teach or am I being fussy?

Advice please.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
You definitely don't need another undergraduate degree.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
(Original post by clh_hilary)
You definitely don't need another undergraduate degree.
But an MSc (or pgcert or pgdip?) would allow me to teach a subject right?
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
But an MSc would allow me to teach a subject right?
To the best of my understanding, MScs are not normally considered proper teaching qualifications anywhere in the world.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
But an MSc (or pgcert or pgdip?) would allow me to teach a subject right?
You need a QTS which you can get through PGCE/SCITT and an array of different options. Normally those options asked you to have a degree in the teaching subject. But not sure if you really need to do a Masters. Perhaps with spending a year volunteering should be enough? A master is a huge investment so make sure you have no other options left.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Ah yeah pgce has definitely got to be done.

The unis running pgce in food tech say I need a degree in food to get on and that's the thing really.

In theory I could apply for drama or maybe music pgce for this September but whether I want to teach those subjects is another matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise