The Student Room Group

Which is better for Physics?

I know starting a university prestige thread on TSR is like opening a can of worms, but I'm struggling to chose between the 3:

Lancaster - Maths and Theoretical physics (A*AA)
KCL - Physics with Theoretical physics (AAA/A*AB)
UCL - Medical physics (with a view of swapping to straight physics)(AAB)

Ideally I'd like to go into further study such as PhD (possibly part 3 of the maths tripos at Cambridge, that sort of thing) and therefore the reputation of the department matters, although I've heard numerous different opinions about all of them (Lancaster being awesome and UCL being awful, Lancaster being overrated and UCL being a great place to be etc). I really like the look of the Lancaster course (if you asked me to write out everything I want to do in a theoretical physics course, that would be it), but UCL/KCL would be a lot more convenient (I live near London) and also makes up for the lack of music which is really important to me and seems to be lacking at Lancaster...

Any advice would be very welcome :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
UCL is the more prestigious university, but if you like Lancaster's course then go there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alow
UCL is the more prestigious university, but if you like Lancaster's course then go there.

I'd say KCL or Lancaster
Reply 3
Original post by sliceofthepi
I know starting a university prestige thread on TSR is like opening a can of worms, but I'm struggling to chose between the 3:

KCL - Physics with theoretical physics (AAA/A*AB)

Ideally I'd like to go into further study such as PhD (possibly part 3 of the maths tripos at Cambridge, that sort of thing) and therefore the reputation of the department matters, although I've heard numerous different opinions about all of them (Lancaster being awesome and UCL being awful, Lancaster being overrated and UCL being a great place to be etc). I really like the look of the Lancaster course (if you asked me to write out everything I want to do in a theoretical physics course, that would be it), but UCL/KCL would be a lot more convenient (I live near London) and also makes up for the lack of music which is really important to me and seems to be lacking at Lancaster...

You're almost definitely not going to be able to get into Part III Maths at Cambridge without doing 3 years of maths at COIW. You could maybe do Part III Physics or Astrophysics.

Original post by 391iady
I'd say KCL or Lancaster

Definitely not KCL. For reputation look here KCL isn't even there, Lancs is >100 but UCL is top 50.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
You're almost definitely not going to be able to get into Part III Maths at Cambridge without doing 3 years of maths at COIW. You could maybe do Part III Physics or Astrophysics.

Really? They say on their website the entrance requirement is "normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification.".
Reply 5
Thanks for your advice anyway guys - I was already thinking about it but now I'm pretty sure I'll firm UCL :P
Reply 6
Original post by alow

Definitely not KCL. For reputation look here KCL isn't even there, Lancs is >100 but UCL is top 50.

what is CIOW do you mean COW?
Reply 7
Original post by 391iady
what is CIOW do you mean COW?

COWI = Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial - arguably the 4 top institutions for maths.
Reply 8
COWI = Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial - arguably the 4 top institutions for maths.

When did Imperial get added?
Reply 9
Original post by 391iady
When did Imperial get added?

It's been there for a while I think - its got a pretty good maths course :')
Reply 10
It's been there for a while I think - its got a pretty good maths course :')

just in maths or maths deriviates too, e.g. stats or computer science
Reply 11
Original post by 391iady
just in maths or maths deriviates too, e.g. stats or computer science

To be honest with you I'm not really the person to ask - try the maths or Imperial forums! :smile:
Reply 12
To be honest with you I'm not really the person to ask - try the maths or Imperial forums! :smile:

thanks for the assistance
Reply 13
Original post by alow

Rubbish. I know of at least 2 people that got in within the last 5 years having done astrophysics at Southampton (this being the Math Pt3 Tripos). Unless you mean the Pt3 maths section dedicated to applied mathematics.

KCL - Physics with Theoretical physics (AAA/A*AB)

KCL is very strong for theoretical physics. I'm sure this would be very beneficial for you in terms of environment and the people you'd be surrounded by and might get to work with by the time you're thinking about postgraduate options.

Check out the courses on offer once you get to 4th year:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/structure/name/physics-with-theoretical-physics-msci/alpha/PQR/header_search/
Reply 15
My sisters boyfriend did his degree in Theoretical Physics at UCL, and is now doing his masters at Cambridge (and doing Part III Maths as part of it) and has an unconditional PhD offer from Imperial. So UCL did great for him and I got a couple of friends at UCL currently and they love it there!

All the 'core physics' will essentially be the same anywhere you go, Physics is physics, so you have to look at the optional modules that come in in later years to get a real flavour for what you could study there :P

Hope this helps!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending