Advice for a student whose parents don't help financially.

Watch
hcriches
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all,

So about my situation, my father used to run his own company which ended up going in to liquidation, since then he has managed to get a decent job with a good wage, the only problem is that he cant afford to assist at all for uni.

I've just been told by student finance that I'm getting the bare minimum in support rom them.

Currently I'm looking after my girlfriends baby in Australia so I don't have time to get a job (he's 1 month old and was an unexpected birth, we didn't know until 3 hours before he was born that she was pregnant) so any money I had saved has now gone.

I know my course is a full on one with at least 35 hours a week, so what are your suggestions in getting any source of finance for uni.

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Harry
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Harry probably best to get a normal job watch your baby grow up and then think about university
hcriches
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Harry probably best to get a normal job watch your baby grow up and then think about university
Sorry maybe I should have clarified, the baby isn't mine, he's from a prior relationship and the father is no longer around. So I've just been helping raise him whilst I'm still in Australia, when I go to the UK my girlfriend and the baby are staying here.

The entirety of my maintenance loan only just covers the cost of rent (that assuming I get given the cheapest one that I have applied for, it is also the cheapest accommodation the uni has to offer)

This will be my second time at uni, I dropped out during my first year to try and help my fathers company, which as you can see didn't work out. I've been lucky enough to be offered another spot at the university, after asking for the past three years, so this is really my last chance to go to the university that I want to.
gingersnap777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow... that's a lot to deal with. From my understanding you should be able to go back to student finance and say that you're an 'unsupported under 25' (I can't remember what the actual term is) but I have no idea what the actual criteria for that are and whether, despite your parents' real inability to pay, you would fit them. Read up on the small print so that you know your rights!
You should definitely ask the university you are planning on going to if they have financial aid options as well.
But I would fight that corner/explore all funding options rather than relying on getting/holding down a job - for one thing, the job market is unstable if your course is several years long and, for another, you can't know how much time your course will actually take up until you're doing it.
Hope that helps.
hcriches
(Original post by gingersnap777)
Wow... that's a lot to deal with. From my understanding you should be able to go back to student finance and say that you're an 'unsupported under 25' (I can't remember what the actual term is) but I have no idea what the actual criteria for that are and whether, despite your parents' real inability to pay, you would fit them. Read up on the small print so that you know your rights!
You should definitely ask the university you are planning on going to if they have financial aid options as well.
But I would fight that corner/explore all funding options rather than relying on getting/holding down a job - for one thing, the job market is unstable if your course is several years long and, for another, you can't know how much time your course will actually take up until you're doing it.
Hope that helps.
Thanks I will have a look in to it, I may give them a phone call and see what happens, I mean they are here to help at the end of the day. It's the same course at the same university that I attended before, and it was really full on, every day was usually 9-5 with maybe an hour or two gap in the day. The only type of job I could have held down would have been a weekend one, but even then keeping that would be hard as well as doing the amount of work that the course required.

I've emailed the universities finance team a month ago, and I've not got a response yet, (I re sent another message around 2 weeks ago). I guess I could always try and make people websites etc as that's a skill I have but again it's only a reliable way if I actually get the business!
gingersnap777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hcriches)
I guess I could always try and make people websites etc as that's a skill I have but again it's only a reliable way if I actually get the business!
I wouldn't suggest it as a way to try and fully support your degree, but if you have skills like that you could always try freelancing on somewhere like Elance.com. I used that site to earn money as a freelance copywriter during my gap year and it can add a little to your income - more if you get lucky. You could always hit it hard to build up a reputation while you're at home with the baby and see how far you get (you can charge more once you're established). I'd recommend it because it really lets you take on only what you can handle at a given time. Never know, might help!
stevey226
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How does one not notice they're 9 months pregnant?
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are you paying for someone elses kid if youve got your own money troubles. Tell the father of the kid to step up. Get a part time job or something?
Xamanus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Damn thats a **** load to deal with. Im gonna stop blowing up money on clubs and start saving.

Good luck and hope you get sorted.
cantevendeal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If your father still earns over the limit for you to receive no funding then isn't there any way that he could support you at all? Or does he have debts from the companies liquidation?

My parents earned literally £100/year over the threshold for me to receive any funding and they supported me the whole way through uni...

However, I do understand that people manage their money differently and it shouldn't be on you to have to account for the consequences.

Unfortunately there aren't many ways to secure extra funding but if I was you I'd look into:

- Part-time job (your best option)
- Heavy budgeting
- Search for bursaries, scholarships etc.
- Student overdraft
- Other forms of credit (more risky and worth avoiding if possible)

I hope that helps in some way!
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your reasons for being in Oz and how long you've been there could compromise your right to any student funding.
Check it out.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will the girlfriend not get benefits to help look after the child?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (79)
37.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.7%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.66%

Watched Threads