The Student Room Group

Who is MORE oppressed - a woman wearing a burka or a woman wearing near to nothing?

Imagine a situation where both woman choose of their own accord (not coerced or pressured by anyone) to wear what they like. One woman chooses to cover up her whole body and face except her eyes with a burka. Another woman chooses to wear mini skirts and heels and low cut tops every day. Which would you say is more oppressed (if oppressed at all) and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One is submitting to God, the other to society imo.
Why would anyone CHOOSE to cover everything but their eyes?
Reply 3
Depends on what the intention is for the scantily clothed person.
Reply 4
If done by own choice then surely neither

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

so men don't stare at her innit
Original post by iamintorture
Imagine a situation where both woman choose of their own accord (not coerced or pressured by anyone) to wear what they like. One woman chooses to cover up her whole body and face except her eyes with a burka. Another woman chooses to wear mini skirts and heels and low cut tops every day. Which would you say is more oppressed (if oppressed at all) and why?

Neither. It is their free choice.
Reply 7
You'd have to ask the women themselves how they feel, not TSR. If they are truly wearing these things of their own accord, then they are surely not oppressed in the sense you're primarily referring to?

However, I'd say in a manner they are both oppressed because you are placing them within this question without actually giving them independent agency; you are oppressing them by removing their right to have anything outside of what they look like and what they wear. You are requesting they be judged simply by their image. Maybe that's a form of oppression, removing their individuality and space for their own thought. Shrug.
Reply 8
The woman in the burka.
Reply 9
If they made the choice then they aren't oppressed, are they?
Original post by tehforum
so men don't stare at her innit

But surely people are more likely to stare if you're completely covered up. It's like putting a massive sign over your head saying "don't look at me!"... People are gonna notice. Men would be least likely to stare if someone just wore normal clothes.
Reply 11
But surely people are more likely to stare if you're completely covered up. It's like putting a massive sign over your head saying "don't look at me!"... People are gonna notice. Men would be least likely to stare if someone just wore normal clothes.

The stare would be quite different, it inhibits me from checking out her boobs and butt

Posted from TSR Mobile
If both have free will to do and wear whatever they please, how is either party oppressed?

Reminded me of this
Original post by Kiss
If they made the choice then they aren't oppressed, are they?

Exactly what i was going to say

If they are choosing to dress like this then they are not being oppressed. They are doing it out of their own free will
But even if they have chosen to wear whatever, how much of that is free will and how much is societal/religious influence?
Reply 16
You're comparing desperation and objectification to modesty and self worth?
Neither women are oppressed because it was their choice in both cases :confused:

The only thing you need to consider if if there were social influences making the person dress that way, but even then there are lots of social influences telling women to behave immodestly so even then you can't say the woman in the Burqa is more oppressed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iamintorture

let me guess, you study one of the following;

- Womens studies
- Feminist type of study
- Psychology
- Sociology
On the plus side of the burka, you don't have to shave for few extra days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending