The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester uni accomodation 2014

Hi, I should be starting Leicester in September to read English and History.
I have no idea what halls to apply for! I know john fosters is the nicest but I've read that GMS is the most sociable?
I want to be catered with my own bathroom as well
Any help is appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theuniversalsigh
Hi, I should be starting Leicester in September to read English and History.
I have no idea what halls to apply for! I know john fosters is the nicest but I've read that GMS is the most sociable?
I want to be catered with my own bathroom as well
Any help is appreciated!

I'm considering putting Leicester as my firm to study Geography. I was thinking John Foster - I also want my own bathroom, but not bothered about being self catered or catered!
Was GMS the older styled halls?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
They are all equally sociable. If you want to be catered with your own bathroom the best bet is JoFo.
Original post by Rachel Wyles
I'm considering putting Leicester as my firm to study Geography. I was thinking John Foster - I also want my own bathroom, but not bothered about being self catered or catered!
Was GMS the older styled halls?

Yeah, slme of them look abit grotty on the outside but it is student acom after all! Literally everywhere on tsr is saying that john fosters is unsocial, what do you think?
Original post by LeicesterStudent
They are all equally sociable. If you want to be catered with your own bathroom the best bet is JoFo.

So I should ignore gossip about jofo being unsociable?
where would I likely be if I applied to gms for catered ensuite?

thanks for the help
I dunno then if quite a lot of people are saying that then it suggests something, but I guess it just depends the people you are put with... you gonna put John fosters down?
I may, being as I want to be catered and ensuite, I guess it's hit and miss with who you're put with
Reply 7
When people talk about it being social it tends to be the size of the block/flat you live in.

Jofo is set out in flats of 4/5 whereas Beaumont is set out in corridors of say 20/30 people over two floors. Although jofo flats mix it doesnt tend to match up to the large numbers in Beaumont blocks.

If anyone wants ensuite you will be on a small corridor/flat, all the larger blocks tend to be filled with premium single rooms. If you want to be with large numbers I would put shared bathrooms, you have done it all your life and will 2nd 3rd year, plus you save a few hundred!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I would prefer to have a self-catered ensuite.

Is Gilbert, Murray and Stamford the option that includes all the renovated houses that have been turned into student accomodation?! Because the one we were shown round was amazingly spacious and lovely
Original post by Hart1995
When people talk about it being social it tends to be the size of the block/flat you live in.

Jofo is set out in flats of 4/5 whereas Beaumont is set out in corridors of say 20/30 people over two floors. Although jofo flats mix it doesnt tend to match up to the large numbers in Beaumont blocks.

If anyone wants ensuite you will be on a small corridor/flat, all the larger blocks tend to be filled with premium single rooms. If you want to be with large numbers I would put shared bathrooms, you have done it all your life and will 2nd 3rd year, plus you save a few hundred!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want ant to be catered with an ensuite in possibly gms. Will the corridors have less people then if I have my own bathroom?
Reply 10
Does anyone know if you can apply for accommodation now? or we still have to wait? also do you have to firm it before you apply
So I should ignore gossip about jofo being unsociable?

Yes.
JoFo has a modern / non-traditional layout; somehow that is considered "unsociable" by some.
Original post by angelxox
Does anyone know if you can apply for accommodation now? or we still have to wait? also do you have to firm it before you apply

Firm before you applying :smile:
Original post by just a dad
Yes.
JoFo has a modern / non-traditional layout; somehow that is considered "unsociable" by some.

Any info on gms? Like where I'd be if I had catered ensuite?
Reply 14
I want ant to be catered with an ensuite in possibly gms. Will the corridors have less people then if I have my own bathroom?

Well you won't be on a large corridor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by just a dad
Yes.

Its the numbers which makes it less sociable not how modern it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelxox

I've firmed it but don't know how to apply, does anyone know whether we can apply yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Rachel Wyles
I've firmed it but don't know how to apply, does anyone know whether we can apply yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont apply for a few months yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Is John foster the only place with self catered en suites?
Reply 19
I'm living in catered JoFo premium plus ensuite at the moment and honestly I don't understand this whole thing about it being unsociable, I get on with the other people in my flat amazingly, and with the girls in the flat on the same floor. We don't always hang out, or go to meals together but I am living with a bunch of them next year. Having said that I have a friend who lives in another block and they organise to go to meals as a massive group, so honestly it is up to who you get put with! At the end of the day, it's what you make of it, I spend a fair amount of time in Bowder Court (which is officiall part of GMS I think) and that's corridoors of 6, 3 storeys and for some of them I'm the only one who they're friends with outside Bowder! You'll get to know people through your course and you'll end up going to see them whereever they live because all of the accomodation is within walking distance in Oadby, so honestly just pick a type of room you like and go from there, don't worry about the social aspect, all of the sites are as social or non social as you make them/want them to be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending