The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Interview for Primary Education 5-11yrs

Hello.

Got my interview invite today. So happy.

Have you been on an interview there for this degree?
What happened in the day?
Were the maths and English test gcse standard?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Never been to Kingston so any info is definitely welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey, I went to an interview last week :smile:

You'll get a welcome talk, explaining what the course is all about and how it it all works, and a chance to ask questions.

Then there's a Maths test, very simple Maths, just like the sample questions Kingston sends out with the interview email.

Then a literacy text where you have to mark spelling and grammar errors on a passage, and write a short passage about the qualities which make a good teacher.

Then there's a group task about the qualities which make a good teacher again. And then individual interviews, it's all very relaxed.

Some individual interview questions were, as far as i can remember.....

What qualities do you possess which make you a good teacher?
What do you look for when you go into a classroom/school?
What are your personal weaknesses?
Talk about some current education issues?
Why should we give you a place?

Hope that helped, and hopefully see you in September :biggrin:
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by itselle
Hey, I went to an interview last week :smile:

You'll get a welcome talk, explaining what the course is all about and how it it all works, and a chance to ask questions.

Then there's a Maths test, very simple Maths, just like the sample questions Kingston sends out with the interview email.

Then a literacy text where you have to mark spelling and grammar errors on a passage, and write a short passage about the qualities which make a good teacher.

Then there's a group task about the qualities which make a good teacher again. And then individual interviews, it's all very relaxed.

Some individual interview questions were, as far as i can remember.....

What qualities do you possess which make you a good teacher?
What do you look for when you go into a classroom/school?
What are your personal weaknesses?
Talk about some current education issues?
Why should we give you a place?

Hope that helped, and hopefully see you in September :biggrin:

Hello :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it :smile:

Did everything start on time? I ask because I'm travelling from Sheffield to London St Pancras -> From there to Vauxhall on tube -> From there to Norbiton. How did you get there is you don't mind me asking :smile:

I've not received a Sample Maths test with Email - I may ask for info on the test and they might send it me :smile:

Oooh what was the group task like, what was involved?

Did you get offered a walk round campus or did you take yourself around? I'll probably have a few hrs to check everything out. What were your overall thoughts on Kingston? I have never been but so excited :smile:
Reply 3
Hey,

I did my undergrad at Kingston so I know it really well, and live just down the road.
I love it there, of course, why else would I have applied to go back :P

The math test is really really simple, i wouldn't worry about it. It's common sense really!
The group talk is about qualities in teachers and how to determine what it the most important. They're looking for communication skills, listening, reasons and speaking in front of people etc. Not so much the content of what you're doing.

Yes, everything started bang on time, and I would give yourself about 20 mins to find the building/room. Thats quite a journey to be doing before 9am, or are you travelling the next day?? I'd also go vauxhall to Kingston then get the 85 bus from Cromwell road to Kingston University its more reliable than going to Norbiton.

Where else have you applied?
Original post by itselle
Hey,

I did my undergrad at Kingston so I know it really well, and live just down the road.
I love it there, of course, why else would I have applied to go back :P

The math test is really really simple, i wouldn't worry about it. It's common sense really!
The group talk is about qualities in teachers and how to determine what it the most important. They're looking for communication skills, listening, reasons and speaking in front of people etc. Not so much the content of what you're doing.

Yes, everything started bang on time, and I would give yourself about 20 mins to find the building/room. Thats quite a journey to be doing before 9am, or are you travelling the next day?? I'd also go vauxhall to Kingston then get the 85 bus from Cromwell road to Kingston University its more reliable than going to Norbiton.

Where else have you applied?

I applied to Kingston because I like the fact it is not in a busy city area but is close to one if you know what I mean :smile:

The tests I'm sure I'll be fine with. Group discussion sounds like something I am going to shine in :smile: Whippee!

I was planning on travelling to London St Pancras - Tube to Vauxhall then train to Norbiton and yes all before 12pm when the Interview process starts!. I will arrive at London St Pancras at 10:15 - what would you suggest I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

PS I have a interview at Canterbury Christ Church the week after; awaiting decision from Winchester, Middlesex and Northampton :smile:
Reply 5
Ah your interview starts at 12pm! Mine started at 9am!!

Tube to Vauxhall, train to either Kingston or Putney, then 85 bus to Kingston University :smile:

Good Luck!!!
Original post by itselle
Ah your interview starts at 12pm! Mine started at 9am!!

Tube to Vauxhall, train to either Kingston or Putney, then 85 bus to Kingston University :smile:

Good Luck!!!

Hey thanks for tips. I'm going to catch a train from St Pancras to Kingston and walk to Unit - will have enough time and think it'd be nice to check out the area.

Prepping answers now to questions. Weaknesses oh dear procrastination might be one of them ha ha May I ask which you highlighted? I always got told to turn a weakness/negative to a positive lol
Reply 7
It's about a 45 minute walk up the Hill to the University! And it is up-hill. You'd be better catching the 85 from Cromwell Road bus station.

I told her I had to really push myself to be organised. I think it's always better to be honest, they like that. They'll be looking for you to be honest but tell them how you're going to combat your weakness!
Original post by itselle
It's about a 45 minute walk up the Hill to the University! And it is up-hill. You'd be better catching the 85 from Cromwell Road bus station.

I told her I had to really push myself to be organised. I think it's always better to be honest, they like that. They'll be looking for you to be honest but tell them how you're going to combat your weakness!

Thanks for the tip. I may just get a taxi :-D

That is one of my weaknesses and also over analysing work. Too much can affect a lesson plan for eg!

Am excited to see the Uni and go through the interview process. Fingers crossed :-D Thanks for replying :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Kingston University’s Official Q&A on The Student Room!

We will be live on this forum weekdays from Monday 24th February - Friday 28th February, 10.00am to 5pm to answer all your questions about Kingston University and life as a student here.

Staff will be on hand all week to answer your questions, from application and admissions, through to funding queries and accommodation options. The Compact team will also be on hand to tell you more about the support packages they offer if you meet certain criteria. Finally you will have the opportunity to chat with our fabulous ASK US Ambassadors and Alumni who will be on hand to share their experiences and top tips with you about student life at Kingston and their experiences after graduation!

We look forward to chatting with you so please ask away!

Click here to ask your question in our Q&A forum.

I look forward to reading your questions,
Teddy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending