Back To School
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A friend of mine was telling me that Europe is an imaginary continent that is technically in Asia as they are on the same tectonic plate. Is this true? Are places like France, Germany Russia etc... in Asia?
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Back To School)
A friend of mine was telling me that Europe is an imaginary continent that is technically in Asia as they are on the same tectonic plate. Is this true? Are places like France, Germany Russia etc... in Asia?
Some places like Russia are in both continents.
Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
a load of poo
Back To School
Rep:
?
(Original post by 391iady)
Some places like Russia are in both continents.
Yeah I know that. But technically speaking, is Europe really a continent or did we just make it up? Aren't European countries on the same tectonic plate as Asia?
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They are both on the Eurasian plate I think, but then couldn't it go both ways? Maybe Asia is in Europe
Darkseid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Back To School you go.
lor771
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both Europe and Asia are on one plate - the Eurasian Plate. Continents aren't always defined by tectonic plates, as India and Saudi Arabia are on their own plates but still part of the continent of Asia.
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Continents are a load of bull in general tbh.
This video sort of explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34
KICHMYARSE
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i dont know the technicalities and dont want to, but its nice to know that you can actually reach the capital of south korea from spain or portugal by train.
Back To School
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidnightDream)
They are both on the Eurasian plate I think, but then couldn't it go both ways? Maybe Asia is in Europe
But the Asian continent was established first because it has its own tectonic plate. Apparently white Europeans wanted their own continent separate from the Asians and created Europe, which is imaginary and is really Asia.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is Asia in Europe?

Is Britain in Eurasia?

Is Iceland?
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But the Asian continent was established first because it has its own tectonic plate. Apparently white Europeans wanted their own continent separate from the Asians and created Europe, which is imaginary and is really Asia.
okay I see
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. The boundaries of continents has nothing to do with tectonic plates, it is just another way to separate regions. There are many tectonic plates, some correspond to a single continent others share continents and some have no continent at all.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Europe is not in Asia :facepalm:
Back To School
Rep:
?
(Original post by flyyoufools)
Continents are a load of bull in general tbh.
This video sort of explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34
Thanks, great video! So he was right then.
Back To School
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aoide;46332394[B)
]No. The boundaries of continents has nothing to do with tectonic plates,[/B] it is just another way to separate regions. There are many tectonic plates, some correspond to a single continent others share continents and some have no continent at all.
According to the video that has been posted, in geology, continents are described by means of tectonic plates.
Back To School
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Europe is not in Asia :facepalm:
Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.
Well I guess it's how humans have chosen to define a continent. I don't think to be a continent something has to be on its own tectonic plate...

Regardless, claiming Europe is in Asia clearly isn't true.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see why that tectonic plate 'belongs' to Asia and not Europe. The terms Asia and Europe existed before people really knew anything about tectonic plates. So Asia doesn't have 'it's own' tectonic plate, it's the Eurasian plate.

So no, Europe is not in Asia. It's in Eurasia. If you are going to consider them the same continent (which does make sense, and in fact they do consider them a single continent in many countries), then Eurasia is the accepted name rather than saying Europe is part of Asia.
jonnny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KICHMYARSE)
i dont know the technicalities and dont want to, but its nice to know that you can actually reach the capital of south korea from spain or portugal by train.
Or Inverness
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads