The Student Room Group

How did you succeed in your uni interview?

I have one tomorrow. Grateful for any last-minute tips for success. If you got an offer after an interview, what things did you do that you felt helped you secure that offer?
Reply 1
Original post by pip-dipdab
I have one tomorrow. Grateful for any last-minute tips for success. If you got an offer after an interview, what things did you do that you felt helped you secure that offer?

Prepare some questions to ask the interviewers after the interview.
Think about body language... Sit back in your chair, use your hands to express yourself, look them in the eye.
Don't stray off topic (something I'm often guilty of).
Show your passion for the topic.

Be confident, ignore that little voice telling you that you will fail and good luck!!!
Reply 2
General tip really: Remember that you have plenty of time to answer their questions, so take your time to answer their questions. Make sure to give a good thought for your answer (but don't take too much time for it) and also listen clearly to the interviewer's question. Don't do unnecessary movements like shaking your legs or moving around too much, just sit comfortably and think in positive way. Be confident and honest with your answers :smile:

For what course and uni? It's not medicine at Brighton, by any chance, is it?
The best thing to do is to remain calm and think before you answer the questions. Organise your answer into a framework rather than blurt out whatever comes into your head.
If you don't know something, tell them you don't know but then also attempt to explain it. ( Don't blag an answer that you don't know, they can tell. Say something along the lines of " I don't quite know, but from a logical/ whatever point of view, I would think this means...."
SMILE AND MAKE EYE CONTACT. make sure your hands aren't sweaty before a handshake.
Keep your hands still and on a table/ lap. Try not to fidget.
Don't mumble- speak clearly.
Even if you're not feeling confident, fake it- Back straight, solid gaze, and when you answer a question that you know, phrase it as an answer rather than a question ( e.g. don't sound like your answer is a question ( when your vocal pitch goes higher at the end of the statement)
Make sure to engage each interviewer with equal measures of eye contact, research the uni and the course and most importantly be enthusiastic :smile:
Original post by Pip1309
Prepare some questions to ask the interviewers after the interview.
Think about body language... Sit back in your chair, use your hands to express yourself, look them in the eye.
Don't stray off topic (something I'm often guilty of).
Show your passion for the topic.

Be confident, ignore that little voice telling you that you will fail and good luck!!!

Yeah, you go into the interview thinking all these things, and then when they ask you a question you completely forget about body language and stuff and just crap yourself when you don't know the answer. :lol:

Just relax, you'll be fine. Go over your PS a few times before you go in.
Reply 6

I prepared by thinking of questions they were likely to ask and just considered what things I might say up if they asked those questions. Obviously, you shouldn't plan out answers too much, or it will sound over-practised and not spontaneous or anything, but having some idea of points can calm you down a little because you sort of know what to expect and feel vaguely like you know what to say. Practise with teachers, friends and family members a little if you can.

Be enthusiastic - convince them - look them in the eye, try not to fidget too much, sit up straight, and try not to gabble your words out. They know you are nervous and will obviously take that into account but don't let your nerves prevent you from showing yourself at your best.

Don't panic too much if they ask something that's difficult. You can always ask them to repeat or rephrase the question, or just stall for time by saying something like "that's a tricky/good/interesting question." Remember they are not trying to trip you up, but want to get the best out of you.

It's okay to have a slight sense of humour, or show personality and that kind of thing. You don't have to be robotically answering their questions. I remember talking about a certain book in my interview near the beginning and the interviewer told me he actually taught a module on that himself. Inside I completely freaked out, but because I managed to laugh and say "oh, no pressure then!" he also laughed a little and I felt a whole lot more comfortable knowing that it wasn't like a terrifying formal grilling. They really aren't trying to scare you and most of the interviewers are probably really lovely and friendly.

Most of all I'd just say take your time, keep calm and be enthusiastic! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest