The Student Room Group

Age difference

I'm 22 years old, he's 42 years old. Could it work? I really like him and he said he likes me too. He's got 3 kids that live away from him and he seems like an all round nice guy. Met him at a club and been texting.

Scroll to see replies

His kids could be older than you :lolwut:

He could quite easily die in your 40s.
Could it work? Sure it could.
Is it practical? No, not particularly, but it depends on what you want out of life. If, for example, you're wanting children of your own, this could cause complications depending on his point of view. It's something you'd really need to discuss with him
That could work but could be awkward with the kids. How old are they? My best friend's dad remarried to a girl who was 21 when my friend was 17. It was hella awkward for her because she was so close to her own age. If the kids are pretty young then it shouldn't be an issue at all. Age isn't really the issue in relationships [unless someone's underage or the difference is extreme, like 18 and 98 or something] I've met a lot of couples with age gaps that were perfectly happy.
It's not so much the age difference but if he has gone through the kid stage and you haven't, I'm guessing you two will have a fairly different outlook on life...that could be the main issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Short term yeah probably but years later....who knows.
Reply 7
probably not in the long term
Reply 8
depends what you want I guess. as people said, it could be fun short term. Maybe not so much long term unless you have exceptional circumstances.

I'm questioning why a 42yr old was in a club :O people do that?
Original post by marinaim
I'm questioning why a 42yr old was in a club :O people do that?

I regularly see 50+ year olds out on friday nights, makes me wanna stay in tbh ¬_¬

But to OP, that's just drama waiting to happen imo. It could work, but like it's been said, highly unlikely it actually will. And this might just be my bias but anyone over 40 and still clubbing has got to have issues
Reply 10
Original post by alexschmalex
I regularly see 50+ year olds out on friday nights, makes me wanna stay in tbh ¬_¬

But to OP, that's just drama waiting to happen imo. It could work, but like it's been said, highly unlikely it actually will. And this might just be my bias but anyone over 40 and still clubbing has got to have issues

Oh actually I do remember on halloween two old men standing on the side watching everyone. Must be fun watching young girls in inappropriate outfits fall around haha. creepy.

If they were attractive and well-off and non-creepy I'd totes do it though. If i'd met them clubbing they'd fail non-creepy though.
Reply 11
does the pope **** in the woods?
Reply 12
As someone with an older partner, if you click with him then why not? I don't believe age matters that much at all, half of couples get divorced so it's a bit pointless saying he could die when you're young when half of couples lose their partner through splitting up.
Reply 13
Original post by marinaim
Oh actually I do remember on halloween two old men standing on the side watching everyone. Must be fun watching young girls in inappropriate outfits fall around haha. creepy.

If they were attractive and well-off and non-creepy I'd totes do it though. If i'd met them clubbing they'd fail non-creepy though.

Basically, the way these things tend to pan out is very simple - if the old guy looks young and is relatively good looking; he can get away with almost anything. Most girls will think "he looks 25, ergo he's not really 40"

If he looks his age, it's always creepy. You don't tend to get good-looking rich single guys out looking for young girls in clubs, because there is simply no need. They can go to a more appropriate target-rich environment and be successful without risking their dignity.

I have friends who have big age gap relationships - marriages with children even.
Original post by Anonymous

he said he likes me too.

Met him at a club and been texting.

<Mental note> - girls really are as simple as the stereotypes suggest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm 22 years old, he's 42 years old. Could it work? I really like him and he said he likes me too. He's got 3 kids that live away from him and he seems like an all round nice guy. Met him at a club and been texting.

I have a Brit expat friend that is 58 and his partner from Thailand is 25, he has 2 kids that are both older than her, he been with her for 7 years now.

Have another Belgian expat friend that is 62, his partner from Wales is now 30, been together for 13 years now I think as they also have a 12 year old daughter. He does have 2 kids that are in their late 20s from a previous relationship.

Have another one, he is an American expat that just turned 50 over the weekend, his partner is 27 from Philippines. They have 2 kids aged 2 and 7. He was trying to hook me up with his sister-in-law a few weeks ago LOL.

Relationships generally work based upon the work you put into it rather than things like age or race or whether you have an Oxbridge degree or not. As long as there is some compatibility and maturity then it should generally work.

Myself I will be 38 this year, have 4 kids that are aged between 20 and 3.

Recently started a relationship with someone who is 25, there certainly are issues like all relationships, we are used to rather different lifestyles as our career simply are at very different stages and what she earns in a year I make in less than a month. She will probably want her some kids in time to come, I have somewhat decided after 4 kids and as much as I love them I kind of had more than enough, oh well will cross that bridge when I get to it. There are some things that I just have absolutely no clue what the hell she is on about at times and there are stuff I do that she won't be approving off or rather she would have done it differently. However it is a fairly interesting relationship as I choose to put the work into it and to celebrate the differences rather than seeing it as a bad thing.

5 years ago when I met her while I was on conference and she on holiday, I wouldn't have ever thought we would be in a relationship and haha I didn't know she liked me either but after that gave her a chance and no regrets :smile:

Perhaps you could do the same, cross the bridge when you get to it and when you do find some differences see it as a good thing and celebrate it rather than fret about it. Perhaps you could give it a go and see if it is your thing, if it doesn't work out then you could always use it as one of the many life experiences.
Well yeah it could work .... But the kids will hate you :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Alfissti
I have a Brit expat friend that is 58 and his partner from Thailand is 25, he has 2 kids that are both older than her, he been with her for 7 years now.

Have another Belgian expat friend that is 62, his partner from Wales is now 30, been together for 13 years now I think as they also have a 12 year old daughter. He does have 2 kids that are in their late 20s from a previous relationship.

Have another one, he is an American expat that just turned 50 over the weekend, his partner is 27 from Philippines. They have 2 kids aged 2 and 7. He was trying to hook me up with his sister-in-law a few weeks ago LOL.

Relationships generally work based upon the work you put into it rather than things like age or race or whether you have an Oxbridge degree or not. As long as there is some compatibility and maturity then it should generally work.

Myself I will be 38 this year, have 4 kids that are aged between 20 and 3.

Recently started a relationship with someone who is 25, there certainly are issues like all relationships, we are used to rather different lifestyles as our career simply are at very different stages and what she earns in a year I make in less than a month. She will probably want her some kids in time to come, I have somewhat decided after 4 kids and as much as I love them I kind of had more than enough, oh well will cross that bridge when I get to it. There are some things that I just have absolutely no clue what the hell she is on about at times and there are stuff I do that she won't be approving off or rather she would have done it differently. However it is a fairly interesting relationship as I choose to put the work into it and to celebrate the differences rather than seeing it as a bad thing.

5 years ago when I met her while I was on conference and she on holiday, I wouldn't have ever thought we would be in a relationship and haha I didn't know she liked me either but after that gave her a chance and no regrets :smile:

Perhaps you could do the same, cross the bridge when you get to it and when you do find some differences see it as a good thing and celebrate it rather than fret about it. Perhaps you could give it a go and see if it is your thing, if it doesn't work out then you could always use it as one of the many life experiences.

Very helpful this. And I agree the more work you put in it the more you get out of the relationship.
Reply 18
Jeez, how thin are your options for you to think a 42 year old with 3 kids of baggage is a good catch?

...in much the same way that a dog likes fresh meat.

Under exceptional circumstances where the two people have got to know each other and grown attached over time...yeah I'd say a 20 yr age gap is something that can be overcome.

As others here have said though, why a man that old and with kids is going to a club is unlikely because he's looking for a relationship, it's because he wants sex and for him a 22yr is a pretty good catch in that respect, something which probably wouldn't be attainable to him for very much longer.

Quick Reply

Latest