cooldudeman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Says to find integer solutions but I only got a non integer. I took a guess about them being perfect squares and not perfect 4ths because if I cant find any solutions if I said they were. What am I doing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cooldudeman)
Says to find integer solutions but I only got a non integer. I took a guess about them being perfect squares and not perfect 4ths because if I cant find any solutions if I said they were. What am I doing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check your factorization!
cooldudeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Check your factorization!
? It works out

Posted from TSR Mobile
BabyMaths
  • Study Helper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
? It works out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since you're looking for integer solutions I'll post my thoughts.

Solving the quadratic in y and rearranging gives 6y+1=\pm\sqrt{(2x^2)^2+9}.
cooldudeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by BabyMaths)
Since you're looking for integer solutions I'll post my thoughts.

Solving the quadratic in y and rearranging gives 6y+1=\pm\sqrt{(2x^2)^2+9}.
I kinda forgot to mention that there was a hint saying that I should factorise the RHS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
firegalley246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you've done anything wrong - you've managed to prove that there are no integer solutions!

I'm not sure about the reasoning that 3y+2 and 3y-1 are perfect squares though - how did you deduce that?

Here's my take:
Spoiler:
Show

gcd(3y+2, 3y-1) = gcd(3y-1, 3) = 1, which means that both 3y-1 and 3y+2 are fourth powers of integers. But there are no fourth powers that differ by 3; hence there are no integer solutions.
cooldudeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by firegalley246)
I don't think you've done anything wrong - you've managed to prove that there are no integer solutions!

I'm not sure about the reasoning that 3y+2 and 3y-1 are perfect squares though - how did you deduce that?

Here's my take:
Spoiler:
Show

gcd(3y+2, 3y-1) = gcd(3y-1, 3) = 1, which means that both 3y-1 and 3y+2 are fourth powers of integers. But there are no fourth powers that differ by 3; hence there are no integer solutions.
Yeah I considered the fourth power thing but got no values too. I thpufht that x^4 can be written as (x^2)^2 so taking x^2 as one term being squared therefore the terms on the other side are perfect squares. But I just resorted to doing that because the fourth power thing got me no values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
? It works out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, you're right - I was too tired when I looked at it
firegalley246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by davros)
Sorry, you're right - I was too tired when I looked at it
No worries - doing it with squares, I'm sure you would have got most of the marks on the question (if it was in an exam) because it's correct; though doing fourth powers just lets you immediately spot there's no integer solutions, rather than doing squares which gets you only a rational solution.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems your fundamental argument is that since (3y+2)(3y-1) is a perfect square, 3y+2 and 3y-1 must both be perfect squares.

I don't see why this is true; it's certainly not true that if AB is a perfect square, then A and B must be perfect squares.
cooldudeman
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
It seems your fundamental argument is that since (3y+2)(3y-1) is a perfect square, 3y+2 and 3y-1 must both be perfect squares.

I don't see why this is true; it's certainly not true that if AB is a perfect square, then A and B must be perfect squares.
I skipped the part where im meant tp say that 3y+2 and 3y-1 are coprime to each other.

Let h=hcf(3y+2, 3y-1). By a therom h is a factor of (3y+2)-(3y-1)=1. Which means there exists an integer x st 3=xh. So h has to be equal to 1. Since h could be either 3 or 1 but looking at 3y+2 and 3y-1, it cant be 3.
Since 3y+2, 3y-1 are coprime a therom states that they are perfect squares if (3y+2)(3y-1) is a perfect square.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise