Worth getting a private tutor for AS Biology? Crap teacher?

Watch
Venus fly trap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So my AS biology teacher is bad. She doesn't actually teach us anything in class at all and is often away, so I have to make the notes out of the textbook and self teach the course. We also have our ISA coming up, and have been given absolutely no guidance what so ever. I have come to loathe the subject.

I feel like I'm excelling in my other subjects, but when I do a past paper in biology I lose so many marks on "how science works" and terminology/wording, as we haven't been taught any of this, and it isn't in the textbook.

I thought about getting a tutor to help, but as they can be so expensive I didn't know if it would be worth it.

Any advice on private tutors/ AS biology/ coping with rubbish teachers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Learn the mark schemes! What I do is go through exam questions with the book as help. Once I've finished I write out exactly what the mark scheme says for that question. This helps a lot with general questions about structures (proteins, lipids etc), because they are likely to come up again and again, so if you learn what the mark scheme requires you know exactly what to write and how much if a similar question comes up.
Venus fly trap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TajwarC)
Learn the mark schemes! What I do is go through exam questions with the book as help. Once I've finished I write out exactly what the mark scheme says for that question. This helps a lot with general questions about structures (proteins, lipids etc), because they are likely to come up again and again, so if you learn what the mark scheme requires you know exactly what to write and how much if a similar question comes up.
Thanks! And yes mark schemes are so useful. It's just the data type questions that I always fall down on...
pamplemousse1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Venus fly trap)
(Original post by TajwarC)
^ This. Also look through the specification to see what you may be missing out. My teacher is brilliant but she tends to not cover the whole specification. This also helps with terminology as it often asks for definitions of certain words you need to be including
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pamplemousse1)
^ This. Also look through the specification to see what you may be missing out. My teacher is brilliant but she tends to not cover the whole specification. This also helps with terminology as it often asks for definitions of certain words you need to be including
ooh yeah forgot about the spec. Print it out and tick things off when you know them inside out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads