izzyvivs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
how many A*s would I need for Oxford or Cambridge university?
I'm hoping to get 9*s and 1A this summer, but keep hearing stories of people with 11A*s not even getting interviews.
My grandad went to Oxford to read Classics and it's something I've wanted to do my whole life as well.
Any tips/advice??
Short Story Long
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got 3. There is really no set number, they look at much more than GCSE results.
izzyvivs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Short Story Long)
I got 3. There is really no set number, they look at much more than GCSE results.
ahh right
Did you do lots of extra-curricular activities?
Short Story Long
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by izzyvivs)
ahh right
Did you do lots of extra-curricular activities?
No, not really. My course isn't hugely popular like PPE ect., so they put a lot of empahisis upon A2 predictions and AS's (as all uni's do) and the interview (along with written work).
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Getting few A*s doesn't mean you can't get into Cambridge and getting tons of A*s doesn't mean you will get into Cambridge. It's only one part in the selection process.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends on what you want to do. its mostly A level results that they look at but more demanding and popular courses like medicine they will look at gcse results, so practically: the more A*s, the better.
izzyvivs
Rep:
?
I'm hoping to study either classics or modern languages then a conversion degree to law
How popular are these choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by izzyvivs)
I'm hoping to study either classics or modern languages then a conversion degree to law
How popular are these choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
law had 5 applications per place last year: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/

look at the relevant uni websites, they will detail each course they offer and the amount of applicants.
HawkEyeArcher
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't possibly ask what is popular in Oxbridge. Everything in Oxbridge is popular and you gotta be prepared for the competition.

Else, I think law is fairly common subject, chosen by students. If I judge by my Uni at the moment, modern languages are also very popular. Classics on the other hand is Oxbridge-special subject I think, at least under that name?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
37.34%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.13%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (8)
5.06%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (37)
23.42%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.19%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.86%

Watched Threads