cecehjerte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have been set the following question: To what extent is "a victory masquerading a defeat" an accurate assessment of the Munich Putsch? I don't entirely understand what the quote is saying, does it mean that it was a defeat which turned out to be a victory/triumph for the Nazis? Didn't they use it as propaganda? If someone could help me, I would be very grateful. Additionally, do you think that the putsch was a necessary precondition to the Nazis gaining power?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
hisengsoc_galpal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi! That is tricky i agree :/
I intrepret masquerading as hiding or masking so maybe its asking something along the lines of...
Was the victory of the munich putsch, in terms of propaganda, hiding its true false depiction of a flawed system/political group?
Maybe im not sure aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
cecehjerte
Rep:
?
Ah okay thanks!
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cecehjerte)
I have been set the following question: To what extent is "a victory masquerading a defeat" an accurate assessment of the Munich Putsch? I don't entirely understand what the quote is saying, does it mean that it was a defeat which turned out to be a victory/triumph for the Nazis? Didn't they use it as propaganda? If someone could help me, I would be very grateful. Additionally, do you think that the putsch was a necessary precondition to the Nazis gaining power?
While the Beer-Hall Putsch in 1923 was a failure, with Hitler having insufficient support from the Army and police, resulting in his attempted takeover of Munich being easily crushed, Hitler gained much political advantage from the episode: he won the respect of other right wing nationalists for having courage to act and he turned his trial into a propaganda success for both himself and the Nazi cause. His sentence of five years, the minimum stipulated by the Weimar Constitution, which was reduced to 10 months appeared to be an act of encouragement on the judiciary’s part. The Munich Putsch was a failure but it led to an increase in Hitler's base of support, hence it was, to an extent, a failure turned victory - Hope this helped
cecehjerte
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foreverneek)
While the Beer-Hall Putsch in 1923 was a failure, with Hitler having insufficient support from the Army and police, resulting in his attempted takeover of Munich being easily crushed, Hitler gained much political advantage from the episode: he won the respect of other right wing nationalists for having courage to act and he turned his trial into a propaganda success for both himself and the Nazi cause. His sentence of five years, the minimum stipulated by the Weimar Constitution, which was reduced to 10 months appeared to be an act of encouragement on the judiciary’s part. The Munich Putsch was a failure but it led to an increase in Hitler's base of support, hence it was, to an extent, a failure turned victory - Hope this helped
Ah thank you so much!! That clarified so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads