This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
B632 - Regulation Review Bill 2014 (Second Reading), TSR Libertarian Party
Regulation Review Bill 2014

A Bill to extend powers to end the insidious creep of regulation in the United Kingdom, without removing regulation that is desirable or necessary.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Regulation Review Clauses
(1) All new regulation shall be subject to review 10 years after it is first introduced.
(i) For the purposes of this act; regulation is defined as all primary legislation and statutes
(2) In the case that the regulation cannot be justified from scratch, then it shall be removed.
(3) This regulation will be reviewed over a number of years and joined with the regular review of recently expired regulation
(4) All existing regulation passed within 10 years before the date of Royal Assent shall be subject to review after it has been in force for 10 years.

2 Body For Review
(1) If the regulation to be reviewed affects the whole country then it shall be passed to relevant parliamentary select committee; and
(2)That the parliamentary select committee shall view and voice any concerns on said regulation;
(3) The select committee shall be made of 20 MP's selected by the current Prime Minister;
(4) The select committee may come to one of three possible conclusions for each regulation;
(i) The select committee deems that the regulation is still relevant;
(ii) The select committee deems that the effects of the regulation cannot be fully seen;
(iii) The select committee deems that the regulation should be repealed or amended;
(5) The following actions shall be followed after the select committee comes to each conclusion;
(i) If the select committee deems that the regulation should be repealed or amended, it shall be subject to debate in the House of Commons;
(ii) If the committee deems that the effects of regulation cannot be fully seen, it may subject it to another review at a later date, decided by the select committee, but must be 5 years or less after the review;
(iii) If the committee deems the regulation to still be relevant, the regulation will be next subject to review 10 years after it was deemed to be still relevant.
(6) If the select committee cannot come to a majority decision on a review, the head of the committee, selected by the current Prime Minister, shall make the final decision.

3 Definitions
(1) For the purpose of this bill regulation is defined as any bill which has ongoing procedures taking place.

4 Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act may be cited as the Regulation Review Act 2014
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately following
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Committees seem to have become the most essential part of British decision making. Seems like seriously lots of paperwork and additional remuneration for little effect. Unnecessary legislation usually gets revoked naturally.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It still seems like an awful lot of bureaucracy to get rid of other bureaucracy. It's an aye from me though, generally speaking.
Spacey368
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seems like a silly idea. Once legislation is in force it needs to stay that way.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spacey368)
Seems like a silly idea. Once legislation is in force it needs to stay that way.
But does it, in the past what has happened is instead of old legislation which is no longer needed or acts against what the government wants has not been revoked, but a second piece of legislation has been used to cover over it, this has led to a build up of laws which counteract each other, which then inevitably leads to loopholes or just a lot of paper work for people involved in law to sift through.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Change the wording of 1(4) to 'All existing legislation will be eligible for review 10 years from it's commencement.

Delete 1(1)(i) if you have section 3.

Section 4(3) needs amending.

Also if there is no notes section outlining examples of relevant bills and arguments (perhaps news articles) arguing why i won't vote for it. In addition i won't vote for it without proper formatting.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Change the wording of 1(4) to 'All existing legislation will be eligible for review 10 years from it's commencement.

Delete 1(1)(i) if you have section 3.

Section 4(3) needs amending.

Also if there is no notes section outlining examples of relevant bills and arguments (perhaps news articles) arguing why i won't vote for it. In addition i won't vote for it without proper formatting.
Ah, most of that was bad checking on my part, but 1(4) was changed to what it is, as it was realised that if every bit of regulation was to be reviewed after royal assent it would cause a huge clog in the system, causing this bill to be ineffective.
Spacey368
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
But does it, in the past what has happened is instead of old legislation which is no longer needed or acts against what the government wants has not been revoked, but a second piece of legislation has been used to cover over it, this has led to a build up of laws which counteract each other, which then inevitably leads to loopholes or just a lot of paper work for people involved in law to sift through.
I somewhat agree with you. That does make a lot of sense. I think we should review each legislation 15 years rather than 10.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm all for getting rid of an 'insidious creep'. Then I saw the bit about the PM choosing the Committee and imagined this under a Michael Gove government. More patronage for the PM.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This has gone to a third reading.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.78%
Pop (108)
23.28%
Jazz (20)
4.31%
Classical (23)
4.96%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.75%
Electronic (37)
7.97%
Indie (74)
15.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise