The Student Room Group
If you're a single parent yes. Though you only get CCT if you're working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received CCT for my kids on a pension.
Reply 3
Student parents are entitled to receive child benefit, child tax credit and housing benefit whilst studying full time. There is no need to be working at all to receive these.

If a student (or/and their partner) are working enough hours they can also apply for working tax credit which can supply childcare support. However students can apply for childcare support through their funding body and this is usually in excess of what is available through working tax credit. Students can only receive childcare support from 1 of these sources though (not both).
Reply 4
Original post by RobEllis_UK
Student parents are entitled to receive child benefit, child tax credit and housing benefit whilst studying full time. There is no need to be working at all to receive these.

If a student (or/and their partner) are working enough hours they can also apply for working tax credit which can supply childcare support. However students can apply for childcare support through their funding body and this is usually in excess of what is available through working tax credit. Students can only receive childcare support from 1 of these sources though (not both).

Thanks a lot for the information, very helpful.
Reply 5
You'd only get housing benefit if you're on a low income. Student finance is ignored for tax credits and some is ignored for housing benefit.
Reply 6
I am a full time student and claim CTC and my hubby claims WTC. All but my adult dependent grant is not counted in my tax credits when claiming.
I dont claim HB as we own our own home. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mrsx512
I am a full time student and claim CTC and my hubby claims WTC. All but my adult dependent grant is not counted in my tax credits when claiming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you studying, do you receive NHS Bursary? I will be starting Nursing later this month and I have been awarded Bursary but I don't see my kids and I surviving on that not to mention my rent and commuting from London to Reading campus
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
You'd only get housing benefit if you're on a low income. Student finance is ignored for tax credits and some is ignored for housing benefit.

i am am not been funded by student finance as I will be receiving NHS Bursary. Do you think Child Tax Credits will take into account Bursary award?
Reply 9
Original post by mrsx512

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info?
Original post by joyfull
i am am not been funded by student finance as I will be receiving NHS Bursary. Do you think Child Tax Credits will take into account Bursary award?

You can apply for a reduced rate non means tested loan of just over £2300. You can apply for this through SFE.

Some NHS funding will be taken into account for benefit calculations and some isn't. It's likely you will still receive some housing benefit though if you only have student income but it's unlikely to be the full amount. From what you have said you should definitely get child tax credit though.

make sure you get assessed for parents learning allowance and dependants grants from the NHS as well and also the child care grant if you have registered child care costs.
Reply 11
Original post by RobEllis_UK
You can apply for a reduced rate non means tested loan of just over £2300. You can apply for this through SFE.

Some NHS funding will be taken into account for benefit calculations and some isn't. It's likely you will still receive some housing benefit though if you only have student income but it's unlikely to be the full amount. From what you have said you should definitely get child tax credit though.

make sure you get assessed for parents learning allowance and dependants grants from the NHS as well and also the child care grant if you have registered child care costs.

Great, thanks for the info. I have been assessed for both parents learning allowance and dependants allowance parts of the NHS bursary, just need to sort out the care component.
Reply 12
Original post by Tiger Rag

completely true
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Student-Support/How-does-student-support-affect-tax-credits

Latest

Trending

Trending