Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Population:11m

Always qualify

Champions 2004

+ the Greeks know how to party, Holloway has a big Greek/Cypriot community and they went spare in 2004!

Great guys! Apparently the Greek clubs in Marylebone didnt shut for 4 days
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
2004 was probably the best win I've ever seen by a team. Sadly, they'd probably be frowned upon these days though for the way their main aim tended to be stopping the other team playing.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
2004 was wonderful for them, but it was more of a case of them being hard to break down than a decent attacking force. The Euros is an easier tournament to win than the World Cup, though. 2004 wasn't the finest year for any sides, really: France were appalling, Spain weren't yet the force they became, Portugal had the pressure of being at home.
mrderp28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
2004 was wonderful for them, but it was more of a case of them being hard to break down than a decent attacking force. The Euros is an easier tournament to win than the World Cup, though. 2004 wasn't the finest year for any sides, really: France were appalling, Spain weren't yet the force they became, Portugal had the pressure of being at home.
Germany and Italy were turd. Netherlands were turd. England was England.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mrderp28)
Germany and Italy were turd. Netherlands were turd. England was England.
Exactly. Although, we should have beaten Portugal. Czech Republic were quite strong back then as far as I can recall.
trrr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of my least favourite teams. I was gutted when Portugal didn't win the Euro's back in 04.
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They got lucky.

They got through 2nd in their group, on the 5th tiebreaker criteria over Spain.
They then won their 3 knockout games games 1-0. One of which with a goal in extra time.
They didn't play any of the consistently strong European teams, e.g Germany, Italy or the Netherlands.

I'm not saying that they didn't deserve to win, because at the end of the day you can only play who you're drawn against. It does just seem a bit lucky if I'm honest.
I was glad though. Obviously didn't want Portugal to win after what happened in the quarters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
32.61%
No (31)
67.39%

Watched Threads