The Student Room Group

Sex when on your period?

How do you guys feel about having sex when you/your partner is on their period? I feel I'm ready to have sex (first time) but I'm just nervous about the whole idea of the extra blood and gunk, and I wouldn't have thought that guys would actually like getting their junk all bloody (even if wearing a condom)
Reply 1
If she showers just before there's no mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
All that ends up happening, if anything, is there's a tiny bit of blood on the sheets and then some on the condom/his penis/his fingers. I've never encountered anyone who thought it was a big deal, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd let them know beforehand though if it isn't obvious.
It's up to the couple. I think I'd be down with it but I'd be fine not to if my partner wasn't cool about it. This video might explain a little about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-zK9yLotg it's one of her older videos but the info is the same and she's a sex-ed teacher/sex+ movement advocate so you can trust her.
Reply 4
'I shall swim from the river of blood, but not drink from it.

In all seriousness though if it is your first time then just wait a few days until your period is over.
Yeah I'm cool with it. I did so recently. It took me a long time to try and make my girlfriend feel comfortable about it and let her know that it didn't bother me. Your sheets will get messy but it's not that bad. I'm also that kind of person who still doesn't mind "drinking from it" as the above poster mentioned... condoms also not necessary (providing other protection is used)
(edited 10 years ago)
Sex in the shower if your woman is on the blob, and then wash your feet!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Wouldn't bother me, go for it.
If the flow is heavy then I'm too uncomfortable any way :P Honestly I'd feel a bit squeamish, but if you wash beforehand and put some extra sheets down there shouldn't be a problem. Some women report it feels better :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by flyyoufools
It's up to the couple. I think I'd be down with it but I'd be fine not to if my partner wasn't cool about it. This video might explain a little about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-zK9yLotg it's one of her older videos but the info is the same and she's a sex-ed teacher/sex+ movement advocate so you can trust her.

Thanks for the link! I just watched and that was really helpful
Reply 10
I didn't put extra sheets down or anything and there was no blood leakage, although there was a bit on him. I don't think I was in the heaviest part though, maybe on my last day. Some guys can be squeamish about sex on your period, so definitely mention that you're on your period before going for it.
Reply 11
Ive never done it myself, never fancied the idea but Ive heard other girls say it isnt too bad. If youre worried about the mess maybe you could look into soft cups? They have a similar design to the contraceptive cap so unlike with tampons and reusuable mensural cups you can wear them during sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never done it. I'd be too embarrassed about blood getting everywhere, I wouldn't be able to relax with the worries about how I'm gonna get the stains out!
My initial reaction is no but I hear it helps with cramps.
Reply 14
Nothing wrong with it at all. I've always had period sex, however, it's pretty much the only time I ever use a condom - it can, after all, get a little bit icky down there.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd do it, I don't think it's that big a deal. Put some extra sheets down or a cushion you don't mind having to wash, that sort of thing. Not a biggie.

Obviously always tell the guy though. I fully understand guys having a problem with it, but if I was a guy, I think I'd want sex more than I'd resent having to give my dick a quick shower.
Reply 16
Original post by gemmam
Ive never done it myself, never fancied the idea but Ive heard other girls say it isnt too bad. If youre worried about the mess maybe you could look into soft cups? They have a similar design to the contraceptive cap so unlike with tampons and reusuable mensural cups you can wear them during sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that anything like a diaphragm, don't they need to be fitted?
:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
:lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut::lolwut:

Lol in all seriousness though, in my opinion, that is just EWW, but that's just me. :colondollar: Lol I haven't started my gender reassignment yet but if I had to have menstruational intercourse (which I wouldn't!) then I'd much rather have the pen15 and the girl with the period than be the girl being ****** whilst on my period. But maybe that's just because I feel squeamish just at the thought of me having ordinary sex, let alone whilst on my period! :K: Lol I personally wouldn't have sex with a girl on her period, but hey, I'm bi, which is what guys are good for: having sexy butts and not having periods. :wink: :lol:

I'M KIDDING (sort of :wink:)- I go for the love too of course. :love: And so should you, if you and your gf are in love and she feels comfortable with the idea then go for it, just don't do anything that you guys don't want to do of course. :gthumb:

But no, I wouldn't do that. I don't have a problem with others doing it as long as they don't tell me about it! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The fit is not as important as it is for diaphragms.

Getting back to the original question, some partners don't like it, some positively do like it, and most don't care. You need to talk to him to find out which he is.

But if you're not comfortable with the idea, you need to postpone the date: losing virginities can be stressful enough without any extra worries. Whenever you go for it, agree that either can say 'enough for now' without any problems from the other.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Is that anything like a diaphragm, don't they need to be fitted?

Soft cups dont need to be fitted you can just buy a pack from Boots or online. Diaphragms and caps need to be fitted as they need to be a tighter fit as theyre used as contraception whilst soft cups are only for saintry protection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest