pinkstudent63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently doing an undergraduate degree and I would like to research careers in the government but I have no idea where to start as it is so large, can anyone give me a list of the main areas/jobs available or where to find job descriptions of them? Thank you.
Afoot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't be a leech, public sector workers are all leeches.. and they all hate their jobs, the civil service has a really high suicide rate.
Afoot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arson_fire)
Useful leaches though. Who do you go running to when you have cancer, or your house is on fire, or your kid gets murdered, or the Germans get a bit uppity again, etc
no i don't let them help me, I'm a libertarian so I don't agree with it on a philosophical level, my dad had cancer and didn't go to the NHS and we couldn't afford to treat it privately so he is dead now.
Afoot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whatever. Not really relevant to what the OP was asking about.
Well yeah sorry, but think of it like this, if you were in Nazi Germany in the 30s and someone posted on an internet forum asking to join the Nazi party and you were a jew you might get annoyed. Anyways nvm
MrSupernova
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Useful leeches though. Who do you go running to when you have cancer, or your house is on fire, or your kid gets murdered, or the Germans get a bit uppity again, etc
I doubt the OP is talking about becoming a doctor, soldier or firefighter. They probably want to become a 'civil servant'...
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some of the main government grad schemes are:

NHS grad Scheme
Local government grad scheme
Civil Service Fast Stream

Sure there are others but I can't think of them right now!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Afoot)
Don't be a leech, public sector workers are all leeches.. and they all hate their jobs, the civil service has a really high suicide rate.
Really? whats their suicide rate like?
stewardly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Afoot)
The civil service it self is a necessary evil. Those working there perhaps are not the designers of the system. so they could loosely be blamed. growing up, I never wanted to work as a civil servant cos of the bureaucracy and red tape.
We are all ware that the civil service is a mess and demotivating but I bet you be dumbfounded about the number of applications that flood the Civil servant employers' office daily.
stewardly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pinkstudent63)
I'm currently doing an undergraduate degree and I would like to research careers in the government but I have no idea where to start as it is so large, can anyone give me a list of the main areas/jobs available or where to find job descriptions of them? Thank you.
You might perhaps ask for the details of the civil service budget because if you know who the civil service pays, then you can trace the job they do to be paid or look at the never ending organogram of the government. Hope it helps!!!
Socmyoligy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What pathetic uneducated answers you have been given, OP. Sadly most people have very little understanding of how government works, so they simply resort to spewing Daily Mail garbage when asked.

As you say, the Government is a huge organisation, and that's before you factor in Local Government and the much derided quangos - despite the fact that many undertake extremely important functions, like the Environment Agency.*Having worked in both the private and public sector since leaving Uni ten years ago, I have found the differences to be greatly exagitrated. The idea that red tape and beaurocracy only exist in Government is laughable to anyone that's worked in a large private company. A lot of the red tape also stems from the fact that government organisations have to operate in a fairly transparent way - like having to respond to endless FOI requests and facing massive fines if paperwork is incomplete or missing.*A career in the public sector can be extremely rewarding and, if you're in the right area, reasonably well remunerated. That said, there are massive cuts taking place, so getting in is harder than ever before.*
Socmyoligy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry about the formatting and auto correct spellings. My phone struggles with this site.
pinkstudent63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Socmyoligy)
What pathetic uneducated answers you have been given, OP. Sadly most people have very little understanding of how government works, so they simply resort to spewing Daily Mail garbage when asked.

As you say, the Government is a huge organisation, and that's before you factor in Local Government and the much derided quangos - despite the fact that many undertake extremely important functions, like the Environment Agency.*Having worked in both the private and public sector since leaving Uni ten years ago, I have found the differences to be greatly exagitrated. The idea that red tape and beaurocracy only exist in Government is laughable to anyone that's worked in a large private company. A lot of the red tape also stems from the fact that government organisations have to operate in a fairly transparent way - like having to respond to endless FOI requests and facing massive fines if paperwork is incomplete or missing.*A career in the public sector can be extremely rewarding and, if you're in the right area, reasonably well remunerated. That said, there are massive cuts taking place, so getting in is harder than ever before.*
Employees can get fined? How stressful is working in government?
stewardly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Socmyoligy)

Mr!!!!
Why would you feel an answer is uneducated? when u just noticed that you also has no solution to your messed keypad? We are here to offer our views so u could have perhaps just given your opinion without those unnecessary attacks.
Don't get carried away. if you read my comments well, you will noticed I said it was a necessary evil. Thats just to say that the state machinery will grind to a halt without Civil service !!! this statement never underestimate your role as a civil servant.
Better still the gentle man needed an advice about how to identify the elements of the civil service for his research please that makes you a better person to educate him. let us not rob him of the opportunity to access quality information in this chat room. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (413)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.58%

Watched Threads