Gory German GCSE !!

Watch this thread
lovaticfordemi
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
so i chose english, english lit, maths, core science, rs, geography, history, spanish and german for GCSE.

German(closely followed by Geography) is by far the hardest, but i enjoy it(which sounds odd). Im not very good at German but i really want to be, im predicted a D by the end of year 10 and a C by the end of year 11 .. this isn't a chance in hell im getting that(no offence to those that do), its just that 1. i want to get into oxford and 2. why cant i get an a* ? nothing really is stopping me, i recently did my first controlled assessment and im pretty sure i got at least a B(TOUCH WOOD).

but german is very hard, all those verb tenses, grammar, inversion(verb, sentence, subject). honestly! does anybody have any tips ?? yes i have a revision but can i have like "stories" for example, how were you at gcse german ? were you getting c's in little tests but then out of the blue got an amazing final grade ?

thank you
DezzMezz
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I have done German since Year 8 and am now nearing my final IGCSEs.
Yes, German is tricky to get your head around because of all the cases and genders etc. but all it requires is careful study and revision. Once the difficult bits early on are mastered, it becomes much more simple. Persevere and spend more time nailing the key grammatical points.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
People learn languages very differently. I found that for learning grammar, it helped to split verbs into chunks that had to be put together and to write these chunks in different colours to get used to mixing and matching them correctly.
Another invaluable method is speaking loads! If your school does an exchange, try to go on it. They're such great help.
I also found reading dual-language books useful. For GCSE, I read children's books with english down one side and the foreign language down the other.
Watching TV or listening to the radio (even with subtitles) helps. As you advance, maybe start watching things in German with German subtitles to help you have a good ability in listening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads