The Student Room Group

Help gcse english vocabulary

For GCSE english language to get an A* should i learn new vocabulary my vocabulary is not that good and i struggle to find synonyms for easy words. And how many shall i memorise before the exams which are in 3months...
Reply 1
Yes, Id recommend expanding your vocabulary as using the same word over and over will give you no credit. And to be honest Id recommend learning as much as possible :smile:
Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
reading books help a lot too, you will discover new vocabulary and if you don't understand a word, look it up and try to use it...
Reply 3
Original post by RavingBunny
Yes, Id recommend expanding your vocabulary as using the same word over and over will give you no credit. And to be honest Id recommend learning as much as possible :smile:
Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill try my best, how much would you say is minimum i have around 80days before my exams so if i learnt 10 a day this would account to 800 is this enough?
Reply 4
Original post by chocolatesauce
reading books help a lot too, you will discover new vocabulary and if you don't understand a word, look it up and try to use it...

I dont think i will be able to read many books during these 3months on top of everything else, however i am reading a book called, The Wolf of Wall street every now and then.
Counting how many words and learning their definitions is a really awkward way of expanding vocab. Read instead, it helps your vocab, and your grammar, and your spelling :smile:
Reply 6
I began the enlargement of my vocabulary by identifying words that are too rudimentary, then finding synonyms, and then using said synonyms later in conversation (I participate on another forum in which I used to post essays on a specific topic using the words I just acquired). For instance, never, ever ever use the words 'big', or 'small'; use a thesaurus to find more impressive words.

Further, develop the discourse markers you use: e.g., use words like furthermore; further to this; what's more; in addition; elaborating; expounding; additionally; another thing to note is; pertinent to this is; however; conversely; adversely; equally; similarly. Those are a few I abuse :colone:, and they served me well.

Apart from that, just read things that you know are slightly too advanced for you and extract suitable words. Good luck...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Which exam board are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by RavingBunny
Which exam board are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA
Reply 9
I am doing AQA as well how are you revising for it ?
Reply 10
Original post by evans0
I am doing AQA as well how are you revising for it ?

Trying to improve my vocabulary at the moment will start doing past papers soon. Coursework stands at an A.
Reply 11
Watch some Russell Brand interviews, that dude is as verbose as they come.
Try to make it amusing. They like something 'sparky'. That's what I did and the vocab I used wasn't particularly sophisticated, but I got full UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest