Colin Series...going off on a tangent!

Watch
abra-cad-abra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hi were doing macluarin series and taylor expansions, only really maclaurin ones as were looking at derivatives at 0.

Anyhow, we did sinx and cosx but not tanx. And when i asked my teacher, he said its too hard and you wont need to know it.

So could anyone explain how to find the maclaurin series for tanx such that it is in closed form.

Or atleast a good method for working out each term rather than repeated differentiation which i have found to be very tiresome already after the 5th derivative. Is there a recurrence relation between the derivatives?

I understand the closed form involves Bernoulli's function so I assume I would not be able to find the general term with just FP2 knowledge?

Thanks
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abra-cad-abra)
hi were doing macluarin series and taylor expansions, only really maclaurin ones as were looking at derivatives at 0.

Anyhow, we did sinx and cosx but not tanx. And when i asked my teacher, he said its too hard and you wont need to know it.

So could anyone explain how to find the maclaurin series for tanx such that it is in closed form.

Or atleast a good method for working out each term rather than repeated differentiation which i have found to be very tiresome already after the 5th derivative. Is there a recurrence relation between the derivatives?

I understand the closed form involves Bernoulli's function so I assume I would not be able to find the general term with just FP2 knowledge?

Thanks
There are numerous approaches.

If you google "tangent maclaurin series" or "maclaurin series for tan x" you'll find numerous links to different ways
abra-cad-abra
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)

If you google "tangent maclaurin series" or "maclaurin series for tan x" you'll find numerous links to different ways
what way do you think could be approached with my knowledge. Something that a step question could be based off perhaps?
abra-cad-abra
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)

also if i differentiate a series. is it necessarily the differential of the sigma form of the sum

so if i differentiaed sinx. when looking at it in its maclaurin expansion i can differentiate the general term to get the general term of cosx expansion

is this true for any series? so d/dx SIGMA f(r) (r=0 to r=inf or n) is equivalent to SIGMA f'(r) (r=0 to r=inf or n) ???
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what way do you think could be approached with my knowledge. Something that a step question could be based off perhaps?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1019661
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
also if i differentiate a series. is it necessarily the differential of the sigma form of the sum

so if i differentiaed sinx. when looking at it in its maclaurin expansion i can differentiate the general term to get the general term of cosx expansion

is this true for any series? so d/dx SIGMA f(r) (r=0 to r=inf or n) is equivalent to SIGMA f'(r) (r=0 to r=inf or n) ???
(Sorry, I'm not normally so lazy with suggestions but I've had a long day and turning in soon, so Google seemed the best answer for suggestions to be honest )

Personally I would just use the repeated differentiation method to get the tangent series but there are other methods such as tan x = sin x / cos x so sin x = (cos x)(tan x) then you can multiply series and compare coefficients (like you do with polynomials!).

You can differentiate a series within its "radius of convergence" so a series like sin x that converges for all values of x can be differentiated to give you the cos x series etc.

You can also go the other way via integration, but obviously that introduces an arbitrary constant so you need a bit more information like the value of the function at 0 to pin down that constant
Blazy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Or atleast a good method for working out each term rather than repeated differentiation which i have found to be very tiresome already after the 5th derivative.
You can save a bit of time when you make it to the second derivative...

f(x) = \tan(x)
 f'(x) = \sec^2(x)
 f''(x) = 2\tan(x)\sec^2(x) = 2f(x)f'(x)

From here on, just keep using product rule, e.g.  f'''(x) = 2[f'(x)]^2 + 2f(x)f''(x) = 2[f'(x)]^2 + 4[f(x)]^2f'(x) etc etc
ThePerfectScore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can't do it with A-level maths.
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThePerfectScore)
You know knowing PerfectScore

Posted from TSR Mobile
abra-cad-abra
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePerfectScore)
what can you do it with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (885)
42.67%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed