Jump from a U grade to an A? Watch

somethingunique
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGameOfScience)
your welcome!! what do you mean by revising then re-revising, do you just mean going over what you did when revising for that particular mock? but surely in order to understand something you have to remember it right? how would you say i try to understand it? making up my questions sounds like a great idea! i'll defo try it out as well as making mind maps and cue cards! so do you take notes on the computer or just make the model answers on it? thank you soo much for the advice!! my main fear is forgetting, i am always scared that i might forget
Yeah I mean going over it again and again, probably topic by topic until you're sure you know it well. (Even the stuff you think you're good at, I always seemed forget everything even the stuff I thought I had nailed. I suppose it's easy to forget since there's so much information to learn!)

No way. I understand things before I remember them (maybe I am just backwards). Are you doing AS or A2 btw? In order to understand things I just read it really slowly, draw pictures of what it would look like in my head, and just piece it together slowly instead of trying to take in the big old chunk of info.

I just make model answers on the computer. You know essp. for long qs that require you to describe/explain a loooong process. I bullet point my answer (sort of as you'd find it in a mark scheme)? You can cut and change your model answers too after doing a mock and looking at an actual mark scheme

PS: Remember to look at the spec. and follow it. I have realised that there's quite a bit of stuff that you don't need to remember. I'm on OCR I emailed the exam office and they said that anything which isn't on the spec can't be directly asked about. So there are some definitions you don't need to know off by heart, just the ones the spec explicitly mentions.

BLABLABLA Sorry- I write far too much. It's not a problem and good luck! You won't forget if you always test yourself (even if you mentally ask yourself qs and answer them)
TheGameOfScience
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by davidtyoember)
Everyone has a hint of genius in them in some way, what I did during march/april was I did past papers but them I got frustrated because I was getting inconsistent grades in biology and I was hitting a kind of ceiling at D/C in chemistry,and so I knew that there must be something I'm not getting.

So what I did from that point is that I did questions in an AS chemistry book that I had and made different kinds of notes (mindmaps etc),answered questions and eventually I got past the ceiling and moved up to the higher grades.

During the time when I was making the improvements I was using some online sources as well so that I could develop better intuitions for concepts etc.

I'm working on a website and a youtube channel to help people with A Level Science, I think it will help provide a platform where people can practice developing their skill/understanding.

i dont think i have even a single hint of genius in me lol, i used to get consistent a's in science at gcse with minimal effort because i understood it so well and i enjoyed it so much and i had a better memory, now i just get b's at most i had a plan of doing past exam paper's and questions using my notes, but i am not sure if that would work? but alot of people said do mindmaps as well, so i am defo going to try that would you say i should put a lot of detail on the mind map or just little detail? i use some online sources but not many though, although i sure as hell might start now especially as you are going to create a utube channel! when you are finished with the website and youtube channel please send me a link i'll subscribe to you! will it be for certain spec's? i really need to develop understanding, i am always confused becaue to be able to understand something surely you need to remember it!
TheGameOfScience
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BukharinKamenev)
Thank you. The main thing I have always found with essays is that it is often useful to argue against the question, that way examiners tend to admire your audacity.
your welcome the only essay subject i do is psych and i have all the pre-made a grade essays for all 24 possible questions that could come up and there is 3 diff topics so that 8 essays for each topic! but all i have to do is remember the essays near enough exactly how they are written, but thats proving so much harder than it sounds
BukharinKamenev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
your welcome the only essay subject i do is psych and i have all the pre-made a grade essays for all 24 possible questions that could come up and there is 3 diff topics so that 8 essays for each topic! but all i have to do is remember the essays near enough exactly how they are written, but thats proving so much harder than it sounds
Trying to predict the question that might come up is advised against by all the exam boards I believe.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iamtitanium)
Ok so I did my mocks, got the results back, and they were horrific. I got a U in chemistry, E in biology, E in maths and a C in psychology, I'm especially worried about chemistry because my target grade is a B (in all subjects actually) and I have 3 months until the real exam. I do believe that anything can happen if you try so I know I can still get a B, but I just don't know how. Any advice? Does anyone know anybody or were maybe themselves in such a situation? I want to carry on chemistry for A2 but I just don't know how I can turn around with an A, or the very least a B.

I know there was a website at gcse which posted Lesson videos and notes on the whole exam board, but does anyone know such a website which would be of use to me now? Is there hope for me???? My exam board for chemistry and maths is edexcel, biology is ocr, and psychology is aqa? Any way I can succeed??

Thank you everyone
Don't overwork yourself - but yeah either get a private tutor - or sleep with the examiner
TheGameOfScience
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Trying to predict the question that might come up is advised against by all the exam boards I believe.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL thats exactly what i did, but my teach and a lot of other people said you can never predict with aqa psych they can ask literally anything.
davidtyoember
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i dont think i have even a single hint of genius in me lol, i used to get consistent a's in science at gcse with minimal effort because i understood it so well and i enjoyed it so much and i had a better memory, now i just get b's at most i had a plan of doing past exam paper's and questions using my notes, but i am not sure if that would work? but alot of people said do mindmaps as well, so i am defo going to try that would you say i should put a lot of detail on the mind map or just little detail? i use some online sources but not many though, although i sure as hell might start now especially as you are going to create a utube channel! when you are finished with the website and youtube channel please send me a link i'll subscribe to you! will it be for certain spec's? i really need to develop understanding, i am always confused becaue to be able to understand something surely you need to remember it!
The level of detail that I put on the mindmaps really depended on what I was trying to understand and remember. I put quite a lot of detal on my biology mindmaps, but not so much on my chemistry mindmaps. i was more inclined to do questions for chemistry after some relatively simple mindmaps.

I have 93 videos on my youtube channel so far, here is the link : www.youtube.com/alevelscientist
BukharinKamenev
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOOOOOOOOOOOL thats exactly what i did, but my teach and a lot of other people said you can never predict with aqa psych they can ask literally anything.
Indeed they can.
TheGameOfScience
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by somethingunique)
Yeah I mean going over it again and again, probably topic by topic until you're sure you know it well. (Even the stuff you think you're good at, I always seemed forget everything even the stuff I thought I had nailed. I suppose it's easy to forget since there's so much information to learn!)

No way. I understand things before I remember them (maybe I am just backwards). Are you doing AS or A2 btw? In order to understand things I just read it really slowly, draw pictures of what it would look like in my head, and just piece it together slowly instead of trying to take in the big old chunk of info.

I just make model answers on the computer. You know essp. for long qs that require you to describe/explain a loooong process. I bullet point my answer (sort of as you'd find it in a mark scheme)? You can cut and change your model answers too after doing a mock and looking at an actual mark scheme

PS: Remember to look at the spec. and follow it. I have realised that there's quite a bit of stuff that you don't need to remember. I'm on OCR I emailed the exam office and they said that anything which isn't on the spec can't be directly asked about. So there are some definitions you don't need to know off by heart, just the ones the spec explicitly mentions.

BLABLABLA Sorry- I write far too much. It's not a problem and good luck! You won't forget if you always test yourself (even if you mentally ask yourself qs and answer them)

noo i think your not backwards!! you are highly intelligent and correct you have to be able to understand, understanding is key! like you said. i am in a2 . omg lol i always try to picture stuff in my head as well, except sometimes i am lazy and i have short attention span so once i get into it i can stop really quickly and i often always try to take huge amounts of info in :facepalm: i have to try that out lol!! i do ocr as well!!:eek: but the thing is they always ask questions that are sometimes not on the spec!! and sometimes they may ask for definitions that are not specifically said but mean the same thing e.g define gene mutation, (which after looking at markscheme is the exact same as the definition for a mutation) -_- is there any definitions you remember from ocr that are not needed? thats nonesense lol you are not writing too much, your helping me out soo much and i thank you so much for that!!:hugs: thank you!! i will defo try to test myself even doing something that is not revision related!
TheGameOfScience
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The level of detail that I put on the mindmaps really depended on what I was trying to understand and remember. I put quite a lot of detal on my biology mindmaps, but not so much on my chemistry mindmaps. i was more inclined to do questions for chemistry after some relatively simple mindmaps.

I have 93 videos on my youtube channel so far, here is the link : www.youtube.com/alevelscientist
ohhhh ok!! thanks i'll subscribe to your channel!
Dylankj96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything is possible they say. If you want to reach your target, you'll have to work extremely hard.
Qymberley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
I got a U in History on one of my essays in December during my AS year. In August I got an A. Anything is possible
Can i ask what grade you got in AS in the end?
The Owl of Minerva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got an E in Bio in my mocks. Got an A at the end. Study hard and be glad you tried your best.

Cheers
ChangeOurWorld
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qymberley)
Can i ask what grade you got in AS in the end?
An A..I already said that, I got an A in August when I got results...
FloRo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my first year I got a U in history on one of the papers, I then retook it the following year and received a B, which was one mark off an A grade.

I revised as much as I could first year, revised for two hours before the second exam and came out with that.

Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ghufran Sorathia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got E in computer science and D in physics and B in maths, is it possible to turn these grades into A's?
Nyla432
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com/alevelscientist

you may find this helpful.

In chem last year I went from an E to a B and in bio i went from a U to an A, I think it's quite possible.

id recommend testing yourself with papers and then studying the topics you didn't quite understand.
I know this comment is a bit old but still... Anyways I just got my results back for a biology test I did and I got a U. Many people were bragging about how they got A's and stuff but I honesty did try. At this point I feel
like I'm not improving! There's just soooo much content!!! Any advice
help!??
_Mikaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hopefully your dreams of avarice have now been punctuated. Maybe you simply do not have what it takes?
U are a disgusting and negative person. Who are you to say they haven’t got what it takes. You need to check yourself and your life because clearly you are insecure about yourself. Don’t spread negativity just because you don’t feel good about yourself. Bounce out of here, ur comment is irrelevant and dismissed.
Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iamtitanium)
Ok so I did my mocks, got the results back, and they were horrific. I got a U in chemistry, E in biology, E in maths and a C in psychology, I'm especially worried about chemistry because my target grade is a B (in all subjects actually) and I have 3 months until the real exam. I do believe that anything can happen if you try so I know I can still get a B, but I just don't know how. Any advice? Does anyone know anybody or were maybe themselves in such a situation? I want to carry on chemistry for A2 but I just don't know how I can turn around with an A, or the very least a B.

I know there was a website at gcse which posted Lesson videos and notes on the whole exam board, but does anyone know such a website which would be of use to me now? Is there hope for me???? My exam board for chemistry and maths is edexcel, biology is ocr, and psychology is aqa? Any way I can succeed??

Thank you everyone
What grades did you end up getting XD
160Alberto
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
I got a U in History on one of my essays in December during my AS year. In August I got an A. Anything is possible
How
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%