The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Women are less intelligent than men.

The title is a belief that I personally believe in. Yes, intelligent women exist, but they are less in number.

Statistics exists for a reason, they give us a chance to make important and useful generalizations. Male Engineers outnumber female Engineers, because men are inclined towards engineering as they are more intelligent on average.

It's why I laugh at the idea of feminism, both genders are not equal. Society organized it's way like this because society is run by two sects of similar organisms with completely different hormonal profiles, societal trends will correlate with such hormonal profiles.

-Men are more likely to take risks; Men will dominate the business world.
-Women are safer drivers than men; men will be involved in more car accidents.
-Men are more hungry for sex than women; there will be more male rapists.

These things pan out by themselves, no one is forcing it. Both genders are fundamentally different with different drives and levels of ambition.

Scroll to see replies

vaginas are a social construct.
Original post by thejamie99
The title is a belief that I personally believe in. Yes, intelligent women exist, but they are less in number.

Statistics exists for a reason, they give us a chance to make important and useful generalizations. Male Engineers outnumber female Engineers, because men are inclined towards engineering as they are more intelligent on average.

It's why I laugh at the idea of feminism, both genders are not equal. Society organized it's way like this because society is run by two sects of similar organisms with completely different hormonal profiles, societal trends will correlate with such hormonal profiles.

These things pan out by themselves, no one is forcing it. Both genders are fundamentally different with different drives and levels of ambition.

I would argue just because the genders are different doesn't mean they're not equal.

Also, statistically girls tend to do better in exams, but may go on to do less academic subjects, not because they're less intelligent but just because of their interests. SOME women, not all, are not career driven as they're more focused on a family. I would argue intelligence manifests itself in ways other than engineering and business acumen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Laura Duggan
I would argue just because the genders are different doesn't mean they're not equal.

Also, statistically girls tend to do better in exams, but may go on to do less academic subjects, not because they're less intelligent but just because of their interests. SOME women, not all, are not career driven as their more focused on a family. I would argue intelligence manifests itself in ways other than engineering and business acumen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exams aren't much of a measure of intelligence these days, they're closer to reflecting how many hoops you're willing to jump through.
Reply 4
Completely agree with you, not only are men and women biologically different, it is instinctual by the fact that women are more emotional and better in verbal skills. Years ago nature shows how men use to hunt for food, whilst women would take care of the child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Men and women are completely different. They are not equal.
I think in GENERAL you have a point. I've met some extremely smart women but I would perhaps be inclined to agree with you that there are more smart and successful men than smart and successful women. That said, I do think there's an equal spread of intelligence albeit in different ways.
Original post by puma21
Exams aren't much of a measure of intelligence these days, they're closer to reflecting how many hoops you're willing to jump through.

Oh because you have the ability to make such an assumption? If it were males who performed better you most definitely would not be so willing to discredit that statistic. So transparent.

OP, firstly, learn basic psychology, there are no gender differences in IQ. Also learn some basics about causality, more men are engineers for an abundance of reasons, not because they are more intelligent.

And secondly, learn some basics about feminism. Learn the basics of equality, which is about equal opportunities, equal rights, not the suggestion that men and women are completely equal in every aspect.

Jesus, educate yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Seathestars
I think in GENERAL you have a point. I've met some extremely smart women but I would perhaps be inclined to agree with you that there are more smart and successful men than smart and successful women. That said, I do think there's an equal spread of intelligence albeit in different ways.

Smart and successful is not mutually exclusive....
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Smart and successful is not mutually exclusive....

I agree entirely. Models being a prime example.
Original post by Elmi
Completely agree with you, not only are men and women biologically different, it is instinctual by the fact that women are more emotional and better in verbal skills. Years ago nature shows how men use to hunt for food, whilst women would take care of the child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So hang on, you're saying women are better at verbal skills? So then to you, what is intelligence?

And please, do not attempt to use evolutionary psychology in such a primitive way, it's painful to see.

The how how I see it is that feminism is not about making the two genders equal, it's about giving those intelligent women equal chances and the break from being judged at first sight.

Well yeah it's sad because I tend to see more intelligent men than intelligent women. But intelligent women exist (in fact there are loads of them :rolleyes:), so it's important that people don't just make assumptions and automatically think a woman is inferior to them when they see one just because of the gender. It's not like every single woman is dimmer than any man.

Also, why engineering? Yes it requires quite a lot of brain power, but linguistics, the reasoning behind law, philosophy,... other sciences, ...? Some people are just not interested.

I think the correct thread title should be " There are more intelligent men than intelligent women".

Do you really think that it's fair for those women who do not fit in the "girlish stereotypes" to be grouped into your "women"? So what if genders are different? Some people who are just in their own category.
(edited 10 years ago)
considering jobs out there, is it beneficial form someone to be intelligent? i think not.
Original post by Seathestars
I agree entirely. Models being a prime example.

.... Agree to an extent but don't see why people always assume models are stupid.

You can be smart, but more beautiful.

Also some food for thought for those who always use the deduction that 'more men are successful than women, so men are smarter'

More white people are successful than black people in the US, so are white people smarter...?
.... Agree to an extent but don't see why people always assume models are stupid.

You can be smart, but more beautiful.

Also some food for thought for those who always use the deduction that 'more men are successful than women, so men are smarter'

More white people are successful than black people in the US, so are white people smarter...?

Again, I agree. That said, if you make your income off modelling, you're not exactly using any intelligence except knowing you can cash in on being good looking.

Also your last point is an interesting point, even if it was meant to be rhetorical. As it so happens I've looked at this and white people in the US have higher IQ's than black people. I don't think race is the deciding factor in that though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

Actually I believe there was a scientist (albeit no longer a very popular one) who found that black males had higher testosterone levels than white males which then leads to Caucasians having higher IQ and black men more likely to be highly strung and prone to violence.
Original post by sjaan
Men and women are completely different. They are not equal.

So?
Reply 17

Where even to start? This is such a mess.
We live in a male-dominated society, and basically always have. This is because thousands of years ago, as men were stronger and babies came out of females, that men should go out and work and women should stay home with their families. Then men became educated, whilst women were too busy trying to raise a family. This led men to write religious texts and create philosophies, such as the bestselling novel, the Bible.
Now the majority of these writers and philosophers held a great sense of entitlement, and believed that they were superior in all ways (race, family, sex, you name it). They morally had no qualms with owning slaves, public executions, and also dominating and sexualising women.
This book spread like wildfire, and pretty soon, people all over the world were brought up to it's teachings that women were the inferior sex. This led to them being sexualized, demoralized and basically treated as property. Going back to the start, we can see that this all started with men and women deciding that they have different functions in order to live more effectively.
Addressing your points:
-Women are not less intelligent than men. They have had less opportunities than men education-wise, and have also been discouraged from becoming learned. Men don't hear the phrase "I would hate to date a man that is smarter than me" uttered by females across the west, but women hear it all the time. This, coupled with women being so over-sexualised by society that many place their worth on how men find them, forces them to "act dumb" or not try as hard at school as their male counterparts.
-Men are not more inclined towards engineering, it's that women, as I mentioned are discouraged from careers in science by scoiety, and encouraged to do jobs such as office work, or being stay at home parents.
Women are less likely to take risk because women have less confident. This is because of men. With feminism, women will feel equal to men, and will therefore match the success of males in the business world.
-Men are not that much more hungry for sex than women, men are just taught that they are entitled to sex, and that women are mere sexual objects so it is okay to rape them. Also, women are taught that they should keep their sexual feelings to themselves, lest be labelled a slut and shamed by society.
** also it seems a lot like you're justifying rape by men wanting to have sex when rape is caused when people become so selfish that they're willing to completely abuse another person to get what they want. if they want an illegal way to shoot their load, they can just hire a prostitute and the deed could be done between 2 probably horny, consenting adults. but it's not really about the sex. it's about degrading women to no more than sexual objects**
These ideas are being forced EVERY SINGLE DAMN DAY you literally have no idea what you're talking about so kindly remove your fedora sporting head from your own arse, wipe the **** out of your eyes and actually think about things. Like, perhaps from other people's perspectives.
Jesus christ.
Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:
I think it is a fact that nowadays men tend to be on average better in some particular subjects than women. Not very sure if it says something about intellegence and capabilities though..

Latest

Trending

Trending