jasy15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Briefly outline how enzyme activity is affected by changes in pH, temperature, and salt concentration
Solivagant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We're not here to do your homework for you.

Which bits are you struggling with?
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jasy15)
Briefly outline how enzyme activity is affected by changes in pH, temperature, and salt concentration
As CJG21 said, we're not here to do your homework for you. At least provide your thoughts on the question so we can help you with your understanding. This looks like it can be answered with a quick visit to Wikipedia.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
High change in ph causes it to become denatured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zed963)
High change in ph causes it to become denatured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe pH affects the shape of the active site. Its due to partial charges on the active site. At lower pHs, negative areas are 'blocked' by protons, which reduces the ability of the enzyme to induce a fit around the substrate, reducing enzyme activity.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
I don't believe pH affects the shape of the active site. Its due to partial charges on the active site. At lower pHs, negative areas are 'blocked' by protons, which reduces the ability of the enzyme to induce a fit around the substrate, reducing enzyme activity.
You may be right but as far as my biol 1 knowledge I've been taught that changing the concentration of hydrogen ions disrupts the ionic bonding in the tertiary structure. Causing it to unravel and become denatured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd have thought that pH would affect the ionisation of the amino acids (with charged side chains) within the polypeptide, which would affect the ionic bonds. This could lead to a change in the tertiary structure of the polypeptide, which may or may not, therefore, affect the structure of the active site.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zed963)
You may be right but as far as my biol 1 knowledge I've been taught that changing the concentration of hydrogen ions disrupts the ionic bonding in the tertiary structure. Causing it to unravel and become denatured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by thegodofgod)
I'd have thought that pH would affect the ionisation of the amino acids (with charged side chains) within the polypeptide, which would affect the ionic bonds. This could lead to a change in the tertiary structure of the polypeptide, which may or may not, therefore, affect the structure of the active site.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong, just ignore me
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, I'm probably wrong, just ignore me
The method of bonding isn't really necessary for this question anyway all you need to know is that the extreme pH's usually cause denaturation (irreversible disruption) of enzyme activity. Here a graph representing the average activity levels for an average enzyme at different pH's.
Name:  gcsechem_18part1.gif
Views: 94
Size:  2.3 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (194)
29.71%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (108)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.88%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.81%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.6%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.82%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.22%

Watched Threads