angain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm really excited about going to UEA. Albeit I only have a conditional offer for Economics (L100) course. I've been looking around the internet for reviews and videos detailing uni experience in UEA and I haven't found anything bad about the uni yet. I know it seems odd, but I besides the good, 5 star reviews, I would love to read any negative reviews about this uni to make a reasonable assessment of it before placing it as a firm. But all I'm getting is how awesome this uni is and how it's a cool and fun place to study. I live in Malaysia and I haven't gotten a chance to actually go to UEA for the open day so all I'm counting on is the stuff I read online and experiences related to my by friends who have friends in UEA. So, really guys, no bad reviews AT ALL?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by angain)
I'm really excited about going to UEA. Albeit I only have a conditional offer for Economics (L100) course. I've been looking around the internet for reviews and videos detailing uni experience in UEA and I haven't found anything bad about the uni yet. I know it seems odd, but I besides the good, 5 star reviews, I would love to read any negative reviews about this uni to make a reasonable assessment of it before placing it as a firm. But all I'm getting is how awesome this uni is and how it's a cool and fun place to study. I live in Malaysia and I haven't gotten a chance to actually go to UEA for the open day so all I'm counting on is the stuff I read online and experiences related to my by friends who have friends in UEA. So, really guys, no bad reviews AT ALL?
Only real bad things are that the campus is concrete in the middle although perfectly functional inside and administrative hubs who deal with coursework and timetables can sometimes be a bit useless
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Only real bad things are that the campus is concrete in the middle although perfectly functional inside and administrative hubs who deal with coursework and timetables can sometimes be a bit useless
Hi ive applied for economics too. Is there any way prospective students can see a timetable for their subject maybe one from previous years so they have an idea of the amount of hours in a week?
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There aren't many bad things about UEA to be honest, other than the concrete, so if you don't like that, I'd avoid it (I love it, in a weird way, I'm a huge sucker for old buildings usually, no idea why I picked a concrete jungle :lol:). Um, the LCR can get pretty grim but just go into town or don't go out if you don't want to. That's where you'll find the majority of creepy weird people. And as someone else said, sometimes it takes a while to get coursework back but I don't really have a basis for comparison. Can't comment on the economics department seeing as I don't do economics. :lol: But I know some people got mucked about last year when it came to first year accomodation, so that's not so good. Really struggling to think of bad things about UEA that are down to the uni itself, second year's been pretty rough but that's a combination of workload and external factors that the uni are trying to help out with actually, so that's good

If you're really into clubbing, I guess Norwich isn't ideal. If you like pubs then you're set, but I know people from busier cities find it really boring. I got bored of pretty much all the clubs here after first year.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
There aren't many bad things about UEA to be honest, other than the concrete, so if you don't like that, I'd avoid it (I love it, in a weird way, I'm a huge sucker for old buildings usually, no idea why I picked a concrete jungle :lol:). Um, the LCR can get pretty grim but just go into town or don't go out if you don't want to. That's where you'll find the majority of creepy weird people. And as someone else said, sometimes it takes a while to get coursework back but I don't really have a basis for comparison. Can't comment on the economics department seeing as I don't do economics. :lol: But I know some people got mucked about last year when it came to first year accomodation, so that's not so good. Really struggling to think of bad things about UEA that are down to the uni itself, second year's been pretty rough but that's a combination of workload and external factors that the uni are trying to help out with actually, so that's good

If you're really into clubbing, I guess Norwich isn't ideal. If you like pubs then you're set, but I know people from busier cities find it really boring. I got bored of pretty much all the clubs here after first year.
I'm from London and I'm not bored of it but then I haven't been in town loads, only to the LCR as I prefer it.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm from London and I'm not bored of it but then I haven't been in town loads, only to the LCR as I prefer it.
Someone I met from Manchester was like "Yeah, Norwich clubs are boring". I think I'm bored of clubbing in general, not Norwich specifically. I'm much better at chatting to people than I am at dancing. It's a damn sight better than Aberdeen.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
Someone I met from Manchester was like "Yeah, Norwich clubs are boring". I think I'm bored of clubbing in general, not Norwich specifically. I'm much better at chatting to people than I am at dancing. It's a damn sight better than Aberdeen.
That's possible tbh, and lol yeah I'm rubbish at dancing but I'm beyond caring what people think.
angain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the input guys. Anything else to add? How about their reputation in research? Any UEA-ers willing to share?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the input guys. Anything else to add? How about their reputation in research? Any UEA-ers willing to share?
In all honesty I don't know, but research matters little at undergraduate level.
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a negative review for you. Firstly I should say that UEA seems to be a very strange type of marmite university... Either you LOVE it, like the posters above, or you HATE it and tend to disappear into the abyss, never to be heard from again.

I was studying science so I can't really comment on your department, but generally the science department was great and the teaching was fantastic, if a little light. We had mostly lectures, and whilst tutors were willing to help out of hours it would have been helpful to have had more tutorials for more of the modules. Having said that the timetable was pretty full on already at ~16-18 hours a week, so with tutorials for each module I was studying probably would have taken me to 20-22 hours. But still, it would have been nice.

The worst part of UEA was the accommodation and the drinking culture that went with it. If you're into it, then great you'll have no problems, but if you enjoy/need your rest you will struggle. Though this varies house to house. In my opinion the drinking culture is just obscene and dominates most of what UEA is, though this is probably a trend for a lot of the UK and university in general, there are other universities who more actively engage their students which means they have less time and energy to get paralytic all the time. The theory is that you're all 'grown ups' living away from home and you can more or less do what you want when you want, and that is it. The university has very little interest in taking any responsibility for the disgusting amounts of alcohol consumed on campus, and if you happen to be one of the people adversely affected by it (i.e being kept up all night, every night by drunken teenagers) then they really couldn't care less (it's part of the 'university experience apparently!). Most people in the accommodation office were rude and again disinterested in the fact that it really is the universities responsibility to better manage their students, despite the fact that they are all 'adults'.

Having said the above, after first year you *may* (you're an international student, so you also might well get campus accommodation for the duration of your course) be living off campus, in which case if you choose your housemates well you won't have to worry too much about the above. Assuming you don't end up living near to a bunch of alcoholic students!

I am no longer at UEA and I would not go back unless I could live off campus and only have dealings with the science department. Fortunately and hopefully I won't even have to consider UEA when I apply again; I will be going somewhere better.

Anyway, I'm not here to ruffle feathers, just stating the facts of how I saw the place when I was there. The OP did ask for good and bad reviews...
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SuperCat007)
I have a negative review for you. Firstly I should say that UEA seems to be a very strange type of marmite university... Either you LOVE it, like the posters above, or you HATE it and tend to disappear into the abyss, never to be heard from again.

I was studying science so I can't really comment on your department, but generally the science department was great and the teaching was fantastic, if a little light. We had mostly lectures, and whilst tutors were willing to help out of hours it would have been helpful to have had more tutorials for more of the modules. Having said that the timetable was pretty full on already at ~16-18 hours a week, so with tutorials for each module I was studying probably would have taken me to 20-22 hours. But still, it would have been nice.

The worst part of UEA was the accommodation and the drinking culture that went with it. If you're into it, then great you'll have no problems, but if you enjoy/need your rest you will struggle. Though this varies house to house. In my opinion the drinking culture is just obscene and dominates most of what UEA is, though this is probably a trend for a lot of the UK and university in general, there are other universities who more actively engage their students which means they have less time and energy to get paralytic all the time. The theory is that you're all 'grown ups' living away from home and you can more or less do what you want when you want, and that is it. The university has very little interest in taking any responsibility for the disgusting amounts of alcohol consumed on campus, and if you happen to be one of the people adversely affected by it (i.e being kept up all night, every night by drunken teenagers) then they really couldn't care less (it's part of the 'university experience apparently!). Most people in the accommodation office were rude and again disinterested in the fact that it really is the universities responsibility to better manage their students, despite the fact that they are all 'adults'.

Having said the above, after first year you *may* (you're an international student, so you also might well get campus accommodation for the duration of your course) be living off campus, in which case if you choose your housemates well you won't have to worry too much about the above. Assuming you don't end up living near to a bunch of alcoholic students!

I am no longer at UEA and I would not go back unless I could live off campus and only have dealings with the science department. Fortunately and hopefully I won't even have to consider UEA when I apply again; I will be going somewhere better.

Anyway, I'm not here to ruffle feathers, just stating the facts of how I saw the place when I was there. The OP did ask for good and bad reviews...
Afraid all universities have a drinking culture, all have party halls where students like to stay up drinking, pretty much all have bars and clubs on campus. Some universities though give you the option to live in quiet halls but with halls becoming more and more oversubscribed they often stick other students in them as well.
Kaylaleigh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SuperCat007)

To me it sounds like you just had a bad experience that isn't wholly representative. I don't find any problem in getting rest besides my own imsomniac problems and even on LCR nights noise doesn't tend to be a problem after 11pmish cos everyone's buggered off by then. It could just be constable terrace though, but I don't find myself getting disturbed ever - if anything the alarm clocks from the people's rooms adjoining mine give me the most complaint for noise! The drinking culture seems pretty standard here, I wouldn't say it's any worse than anywhere else and I have plenty of friends who don't enjoy drinking but still have plenty to do/don't find the drink culture to be a problem.

Did you put your name down for a room swap? One thing I will say I don't like about the accomodation office is the refusal to let you swap into an empty room elsewhere, I don't see the issue as you're only moving rooms not taking up another, but if it's not on a room swap basis they don't want to know. Which is odd given the number of empty rooms they had this year.
Apocrypha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only downside of UEA is that Essex is better

See you on derby day lads.
italian_girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, I got an offer for International Relations and European Politics, can someone comment on this course and department?
I can't decide between UEA and Bristol... Thanks in advance!
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably the only downside is that it looks like the place where Abby Martin is most likely going to spend the rest of her life.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kaylaleigh)
To me it sounds like you just had a bad experience that isn't wholly representative. I don't find any problem in getting rest besides my own imsomniac problems and even on LCR nights noise doesn't tend to be a problem after 11pmish cos everyone's buggered off by then. It could just be constable terrace though, but I don't find myself getting disturbed ever - if anything the alarm clocks from the people's rooms adjoining mine give me the most complaint for noise! T]he drinking culture seems pretty standard here, I wouldn't say it's any worse than anywhere else and I have plenty of friends who don't enjoy drinking but still have plenty to do/don't find the drink culture to be a problem.[/B]

Did you put your name down for a room swap? One thing I will say I don't like about the accomodation office is the refusal to let you swap into an empty room elsewhere, I don't see the issue as you're only moving rooms not taking up another, but if it's not on a room swap basis they don't want to know. Which is odd given the number of empty rooms they had this year.
This! I know people who either don't drink or don't go clubbing or both and they are still having a good time.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To me it sounds like you just had a bad experience that isn't wholly representative. I don't find any problem in getting rest besides my own imsomniac problems and even on LCR nights noise doesn't tend to be a problem after 11pmish cos everyone's buggered off by then. It could just be constable terrace though, but I don't find myself getting disturbed ever - if anything the alarm clocks from the people's rooms adjoining mine give me the most complaint for noise! The drinking culture seems pretty standard here, I wouldn't say it's any worse than anywhere else and I have plenty of friends who don't enjoy drinking but still have plenty to do/don't find the drink culture to be a problem.

Really? They turned so many freshers down for a place in halls because they said they were full. I think the reason they won't let you move rooms unless on a room swap then its probably because that's their official system for doing it and someone could get in trouble if its not done officially.
Kaylaleigh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really? They turned so many freshers down for a place in halls because they said they were full. I think the reason they won't let you move rooms unless on a room swap then its probably because that's their official system for doing it and someone could get in trouble if its not done officially.
there were a few empty rooms in constable and a handful of my friends said they had empty rooms in their flats too, and mary chapman had at least one whole flat which was empty - although I realise some people may prefer private housing to mary chap just for closeness to uea if nothing else...

I was surprised when I heard that from 2013 entry, international students were no longer guranteed accomodation for the full time of their course, just 1st year like everyone else, how can this be so when they're building new accomodation, are they expecting to have larger student numbers from next year?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
there were a few empty rooms in constable and a handful of my friends said they had empty rooms in their flats too, and mary chapman had at least one whole flat which was empty - although I realise some people may prefer private housing to mary chap just for closeness to uea if nothing else...

I was surprised when I heard that from 2013 entry, international students were no longer guranteed accomodation for the full time of their course, just 1st year like everyone else, how can this be so when they're building new accomodation, are they expecting to have larger student numbers from next year?
wow thats weird, that definitley didn't happen in my year. I know they were hoping to be able to offer some Home/EU students the opportunity to stay on in halls if they wanted to.

how is your first year going?
Kaylaleigh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wow thats weird, that definitley didn't happen in my year. I know they were hoping to be able to offer some Home/EU students the opportunity to stay on in halls if they wanted to.

how is your first year going?
Good Last term was a little poo at times but this semester has been 100 x better. It's weird to think it's nearly over and I have as much time off as I've just been here... I think next year will definitely be better!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed