Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Star Trek's ethnicities:

Jews = Ferengi and Vulcans
Christians = United Federation of Planets
Muslims = Klingons
Chinese Communists = Romulans

It is claimed that Gene Roddenberry was a 33rd-degree Scottish Rite Freemason and that he that he was not fond of Hollywood's Jewish elite. Nevertheless, both Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish, and Nimoy's split-fingered Vulcan salute represents the "Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_salute

"Kirk" means "church" in Scottish: "The Kirk is an informal name for the Church of Scotland, the country's national church."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk

Interesting?
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What? I'm a Trekkie, what have you done?! I don't even...why? This makes no sense :lolwut:
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would Muslims be the Borg?
lil huni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't say I've ever really thought about this aspect of it before. But you're right, it is interesting.
pierz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
idk I always thought the various species were representations of shades of humanity. Ie Ferengi's = Greed, Vulcan = Emotional apathy, Klingon = Violence, Romulan = Deceit and finally Federation being a representation of what humanity can be, in its purest form blah blah
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lil huni)
I can't say I've ever really thought about this aspect of it before. But you're right, it is interesting.
No it's not. It's a load of nonsense that he's made up or trawled off the basement of Google.
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
Star Trek's ethnicities:

Muslims = Klingons

It is claimed that Gene Roddenberry was a 33rd-degree Scottish Rite Freemason and that he that he was not fond of Hollywood's Jewish elite. Nevertheless, both Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish, and Nimoy's split-fingered Vulcan salute represents the "Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands..."

"Kirk" means "church" in Scottish: "The Kirk is an informal name for the Church of Scotland, the country's national church."

Interesting?
Your reading something that is not there.

Rather I think there is a loose connection between our traits and the species.

The Federation is kind of Marxist and represents compassion and fairness.

Klingons are imperialist but believe in honor above all else (Japanese Empire).

Ferangi are clearly greedy and represent wall street.

Romulans do have a Stalinist devotion to the state.

Vulcans are logical, they represent science.

Species 8472 represent Nazis, entering their realm violated their genetic integrity and they stated that the galaxy will be purged for it.
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
Star Trek's ethnicities:

Muslims = Klingons

Interesting?
no not really. Full of tripe actually, you realise that muslim jew and christian are religions not races/ethnicities and communist is a political regime right?

seeing as Roddenbury had a black lead and a russian and a japanese man on his origonal show and a multiracial kiss to boot.

(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
What? I'm a Trekkie, what have you done?! I don't even...why? This makes no sense :lolwut:
Thank you. Least its not just my brain that cant incorporate this babble.

No they're an aspect of the Illuminati or something like that
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
no not really. Full of tripe actually, you realise that muslim jew and christian are religions not races/ethnicities and communist is a political regime right?

seeing as Roddenbury had a black lead and a russian and a japanese man on his origonal show and a multiracial kiss to boot.

Thank you. Least its not just my brain that cant incorporate this babble.

No they're an aspect of the Illuminati or something like that
The Borg don't represent any political philosophy, there is none that has their structure (bee like) and none that desire perfection.
AdamskiUK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol, many plus, much rep
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The Borg don't represent any political philosophy, there is none that has their structure (bee like) and none that desire perfection.
i was being facetious
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can believe the bit about the Vulcan salute
Source.

Not sure about the rest but the Daleks were based on the Nazis.
RogueBlossom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Klingons remind me of Vikings and other pre christian European barbarians.

The Vulcans remind me of civilised Europeans and Asians.

The Farengi remind me of yuppies and tories.
Yawn!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did some research into this a while back.

Apparently The Klingons in TOS represented the Soviet Union, which is why they were the main adversary in the 60s. This is also why by the time of TNG, Worf was on the Enterprise crew, and why Klingons began to be seen in a more positive light, to symbolize the changing relationship between the West and the Soviet Union/Russia. ST6 was a metaphor for the fall of the Soviet Union (Explosion of Praxis/Collapse of Communism), and the subsequent coming together of two former adversaries after a long period of Cold War (both in ST and the real world).

The Cardassians represented Nazis. I also heard the same thing about the Ferengi representing Jews, but not sure if it's true or just some anti-Semitic opinions.

Interestingly, I've never heard of any metaphor for Vulcans/Romulans, but I've always found the parallels between Vulcans/Romulans similar to Indians/Pakistanis. Vulcans being Traditional/Spiritual/Ancient/Dress sense/General pacifism but violent when needed. Romulans being the offshoots who left Vulcan after a conflict (Partition)/Formed a somewhat paranoid and aggressive society/Still have issues with Vulcans (TNG: Unification 1 and 2). Surak being a metaphor for Gandhi. Vulcans having arranged marriages and traditions (TOS: Amok Time).

Of course that's just my reading of it, but it's interesting that Roddenberry had an Indian friend who he served with in WW2, who later became the inspiration for Khan Noonien Singh, and Noonien Soong. So maybe there is something to it.....or maybe it's just coincidence.

Either way, I've put too much thought into this, and I'm clearly a loser.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well this is...interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dr Pesto
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
Well this is...interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a load of *******s with no basis in fact, is what it is.
dean.stanston
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
erm...isn't this as accurate as saying that Klingons are played by black actors because black people are more belligerent? Note that they're not by and large, for persons who don't watch Star Trek.

but Roddenberry was racist, when he had both an Afro-American and a Japanese-American as part of his cast, eh? how many other major US TV shows had that at the time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads