The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men past paper question

I was wondering if anyone could comment on these pieces as it would help me immensely. I've been told that quality is better than quantity but I'm still unsure with my work. Also an estimated grade and any criticism would be welcomed. thanks :smile:

John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men

Part (a)
What methods does Steinbeck use in this passage to present Candy?

Candy is portrayed as a weak and cautious character. Steinbeck shows this by immediately telling the reader that he is old, ‘The old man was reassured.’ Steinbeck uses the verb ‘reassured’ in this sentence presenting Candy as being a wary and timid character. This is reinforced by ‘He felt safe now, and he spoke more confidently.’ Which suggests that until he is acknowledged, then he his reserved. Once we learn that Candy has gained more confidence with George, Steinbeck presents Candy’s true nature, he is a gossip. In this passage Candy tells George that Curley’s wife is ‘a tart’. For example, “Yeah. Purty…but-“ and “Well she got the eye.” These are both short sentences showing his confidence however in both sentences there are pauses, implying he has self-doubt. There is repetition of the hyphen to hyperbolize the pause as if he is still unsure whether or not to confide in George. He repeats the phrase ‘I seen her give slim the eye.’ which echoes the point that Curley’s wife is a flirt. Steinbeck presents Candy also as a respectful character as he shows respect for Slim; “Slim’s a jerkline skinner. Hell of a nice fella”. He speaks nicely of slim which could suggest that Slim treats him with respect also. Candy is referred to as ‘the old man’ again towards the end of passage which repeats the point that he is weak. ‘And his ancient dog lifted his head’ could be used as a metaphor to describe Candy.

Part (b)
How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Candy in the novel as a whole to convey important ideas about society at that time?

Steinbeck uses Candy to convey that many people were lonely in society at the time; ‘his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend’ stating that many peoples only company at the time were animals. The animals seem to be a temporary solution to loneliness however we know from section 3 that Candy loses his companionship as the old dog is shot. Steinbeck uses Candy to highlight discrimination at the time. He faces prejudice because of his age and disability; Steinbeck shows this by telling the reader that he is always getting left behind (this could reiterate the theme of loneliness). For example in section 4 of the novel Curley’s wife says “Ever’body out doin’ som’pin. Ever’body! An’ what am I doin’? standin’ here talkin’ to a bunch of bindle stiffs- a ****** an’ a dum-dum and a lousy ol’ sheep”. This shows that it wasn’t only the old that faced discrimination but black people, mentally disabled and women also faced prejudice. The animal imagery used to describe Candy portrays Candy as being lazy and useless. Another important idea about society at the time was the ‘American Dream’ which is conveyed through Candy as well as George and Lennie. Steinbeck conveys that the ‘American Dream’ was important to people in the 1930s as they were suffering from the Great Depression. When George and Lennie tell Candy about the dream, Candy makes the dream seem possible as he offers to help financially; ‘he leaned forward eagerly. “S’pose I went with you guys…How’d that be?” This shows that in society at the time people believed that the American Dream could become a reality however we know that this wasn’t the case as the dream was extremely futile. Candy is an example of the depressing destiny that all others face as the dream will never become a reality.
ten' the rabbits
Original post by mattmejevie
ten' the rabbits

huh?
how do you think Steinbeck uses the character of candy in the novel as a whole to show important ideas about society ?

Steinbeck uses all characters in his novel to symbolise or represent a certain part of society in 10930s of america ,it is his representation of what life was like in that era , although one character that stands out from the rest is candy from the rest of the ranch workers that are portrayed in the story this is because candy is a very significant and important chatter in the novel , he reveals ideas about society at that time such as little tolerance towards people with disabilities , the view on women and a mans tat us in society. however the ranch workers labelled as a swamper” which creates an image of of a general handyman that looks after the ranch which small things , however can not do hardcore labour due to his age and state. In addition Steinbeck also states “his dog is his company and his equivalent of a friend” this clearly suggest that he is incredibly lonely and his only friend is a dog which could be linked due to his age and how the society in america in the 19030s didn't accept people with a certain age , and classified them as ‘useless’ this was linked to age discrimination , many old people were refuse jobs and thereon income of money - poor living standards. However the key word is equivalent” because it has two meanings, one bing that Steinbeck is trying to tell the reader that he is treated in the same way as the dog gets treated or that they both share the same status which is the value of nothing. He describes the dogs movements his anitcent dog lifted hid head and peered about” this mirrors candy , a sense of parallelism. In the novel carson makes it cheat when he insists that candy let him put the dog out of its misery , Candy’s dog serves a harsh reminder of the fate that awaits anyone who outlives his usefulness . though the pet was once a great sheepdog, it was put out to pasture once it stopped being productive . candy realises that his fate is to be put on the roadside as soon as he's no longer useful on the ranch
However furthermore when crooks sneers at the idea of of owning their own place , his answer shows the comfit he gains from his new fiends and the end to looniness we gonna do it .. me and Lennie and George this shows a compelling different side to candy , a side of hope and dreams . this indicted that candy too still contains the dream that seems to be never succeeding despite his age. he is still able to look beyond that , Steinbeck reinforces this as Curley wife targets him we got friends , thats what we got showing the impotence of friends and his level of what he has more than her , when in reality compared to her he has nothing , but both very limited in their position as a whole .
nonetheless , he leaned forward eagerly” into George's and lenses conversation , this could demonstrate parallel to candy’s desire to be in the dream as the adverb eagerly” suggests to the reader how desperate candy is to escape the ranch , forwards” showing how candy wishes to move away from ranch , perhaps showing that he feels trapped by the rancid and needs o break free, the idea of dreams were intrinsic in 1930s , america as the American dream stated , that all men were created equal” and are free to pursuit of happiness , especially considering the bad times of the depression where the were low wages , high unemployment and rife poverty , in Candy’s case . he wants to escape the curliness of the ranch.

what mark would i get for this? out of 15

Quick Reply