PhRose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey, I was just wondering if anyone is doing A level physics and how they are finding it????
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing AS level physics on OCR. Our teacher went really quickly over everything so we've already been taught everything. Now we are just revising until the exams. At first everything was difficult to understand but I'm glad we went over it all quickly because it's getting easier and easier each time we do it.

It's not a lot of content in my opinion but it is difficult to understand some parts of it, however often it's just a case of understanding one thing in a topic, then everything else in that area will make a lot more sense. It's an enjoyable course I think, challenging but it's great when you eventually do get it.
Cantabcyte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
I'm doing AS level physics on OCR. Our teacher went really quickly over everything so we've already been taught everything. Now we are just revising until the exams. At first everything was difficult to understand but I'm glad we went over it all quickly because it's getting easier and easier each time we do it.

It's not a lot of content in my opinion but it is difficult to understand some parts of it, however often it's just a case of understanding one thing in a topic, then everything else in that area will make a lot more sense. It's an enjoyable course I think, challenging but it's great when you eventually do get it.
R u doing OCR B Advancing Physics?
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cantabcyte)
Nope, I'm doing OCR Physics A. It has a topic on mechanics and a topic on electrons waves and photons at AS. The second topic is definitely the more interesting one.
Cantabcyte
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
Nope, I'm doing OCR Physics A. It has a topic on mechanics and a topic on electrons waves and photons at AS. The second topic is definitely the more interesting one.
Intriguing
PhRose
Rep:
?
I would totally agree that you dont learn much and that its just application of knowledge- it is a brilliant subject but definately frustrating whne you dont get the grades you want to
so....I take it that I am the only one doing Edexcel? oh by the way is AQA supposed to be the harder exam board for physics- I dont know someone said that it is
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cantabcyte)
I'm doing OCR B and it's literally the worst thing in the entire known universe. Avoid it like the plague.
iceangel8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PhRose)
I would totally agree that you dont learn much and that its just application of knowledge- it is a brilliant subject but definately frustrating whne you dont get the grades you want to
so....I take it that I am the only one doing Edexcel? oh by the way is AQA supposed to be the harder exam board for physics- I dont know someone said that it is
I'm doing Edecxel!!! Thought I was the only one! How you finding it? I think Unit 1 is okay but we are rushing through Unit 2 and some wave and electricity stuff I can't get round :P
TheGangsterPuppy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also doing A Level Physics for Edexcel. The topics are not particularly hard, what's hard is applying your knowledge in the exam
PhRose
Rep:
?
yeah we have finished unit 1 too and are just trying to get through unit 2
are you planning to carry on at A2
PhRose
Rep:
?
there's barely any factual knowledge you need to compared to stuff like biology
PhRose
Rep:
?
hey, may I also take this opportunity to please request that someone answers physics question under the thread name "viscosity and upthrust"
thank you very much
all help appreciated
pearson1995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have done my AS and am starting my A2 next year. (had to take a year out due to illness).

AS was a *. Haha no seriously I hated it for 3/4 of the year. Then it suddenly clicked and I aced the exams, I got a B overall though because I got a D on the ISA. Im re doing the ISA though next month so fingers crossed

Is it interesting? Yes
Is it hard? Yes
Is it a good A level to have? Yes
Is it the hardest A level science (excluding maths)? Yes, by far IMO.
EPR Paradox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OCR physics is actually quite easy compared to AQA A Physics.
owly1090
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AS. Just got an A - like literally on the grade boundary. I worked hard so was pleased but dropped it and did bio, chem and maths as I was best at those.
owly1090
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AS. Just got an A - like literally on the grade boundary. I worked hard so was pleased but dropped it and did bio, chem and maths as I was best at those.

I did OCR A - I think...
ekpenyongnsa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do CIE physics. At first it all seemed hard because I hated physics and I only decided to do it because my school has few subjects for a levels. Now it is sort of easier because I actually understand the topics unlike when I was in O levels. I think the secret is past papers. And watching some youtube videos have also helped a lot.
Tibbz2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I'm doing OCR B and it's literally the worst thing in the entire known universe. Avoid it like the plague.
I would actually rather castrate myself with a blowtorch than continue on the course at the moment, it's beyond useless :mad:
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tibbz2)
I would actually rather castrate myself with a blowtorch than continue on the course at the moment, it's beyond useless :mad:
I'm so fed up. I really don't hope doing the course jeopardizes my university applications.
Tibbz2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I'm so fed up. I really don't hope doing the course jeopardizes my university applications.
I do love physics and really want to purse a career in it, but this course is seriously challenging me against doing that at the moment!

I hope they don't discriminate due to the course, it's not our fault our schools are useless at choosing a decent course for its students. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (88)
24.51%
No (271)
75.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed