Computing vs Computer Science

Watch this thread
Froodle
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have chosen between 2 universitys, Bangor University Computer Science (offer BBC) and University of Leicester Computing (offer BBB) I like both uni's.
Bangor are offering be a £1500 bursary if i make them my firm choice.
I love both the coding aspects and the networking and Hardware and theoretical sides of computing, i am unsure which to choose from. Any ideas?
The topics i took in college are physics, maths for science, and computing
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Froodle)
I have chosen between 2 universitys, Bangor University Computer Science (offer BBC) and University of Leicester Computing (offer BBB) I like both uni's.
Bangor are offering be a £1500 bursary if i make them my firm choice.
I love both the coding aspects and the networking and Hardware and theoretical sides of computing, i am unsure which to choose from. Any ideas?
The topics i took in college are physics, maths for science, and computing
I can't claim to be an expert on either, but I always assumed that Computing is more about developing hardware and software systems whereas Computer Science is much more theoretical and mathematical. If you're more interested in the coding/networking/hardware side of things, Computing sounds like a more sensible choice.
Froodle
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I can't claim to be an expert on either, but I always assumed that Computing is more about developing hardware and software systems whereas Computer Science is much more theoretical and mathematical. If you're more interested in the coding/networking/hardware side of things, Computing sounds like a more sensible choice.
Odd i have heard to complete opposite as far as the coding part is concerned, (which is the main part of computing i love although everything else does interest me greatly)
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Froodle)
Odd i have heard to complete opposite as far as the coding part is concerned, (which is the main part of computing i love although everything else does interest me greatly)
The only way you'll be able to tell is by having an in-depth look at the course content on the websites or in the prospectuses. Imperial's course is called Computing rather than CS but it definitely fits the definition of CS, so you can never really tell. They're often used interchangeably, despite the separate ideas people may hold on them.
TSR561
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Damask-)
The only way you'll be able to tell is by having an in-depth look at the course content on the websites or in the prospectuses. Imperial's course is called Computing rather than CS but it definitely fits the definition of CS, so you can never really tell. They're often used interchangeably, despite the separate ideas people may hold on them.
Yep, exactly. Its code is G400, same as all the other CS courses, so surely the course itself must pretty much be the same, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (12)
32.43%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (12)
32.43%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
5.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
5.41%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
16.22%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise