The Student Room Group

Do selfies on dating sites turn girls off?

I have read on some websites that apparently women hate when men post selfies on dating sites, which is pretty hypocritical if it's true because all women post are selfies.

Can anyone shed light on this?

IMO one argument is that you don't want your friends posted onto a dating site without their permission. Selfie is the most discreet way

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Just take topless pics. I wouldn't take any girl on a dating site too serious tbh. They expect 1000 word essay on why you like them, ain't nobody got time for that.
Reply 2
Women do not just post selfies.

Anyway - no, wouldn't give a damn. And the obvious solution if you don't want to post your friends in is to just cut out the part of the picture you are in.
Reply 3
Can't you just post a photo of yourself that someone else took? I'd have thought this was what most people do for a photo...

I don't use dating sites, but if a guy I met had pictures he'd taken of himself in front of a mirror on his Facebook, I'd be a bit put off. I don't understand why people take selfies and post them online, I only take selfies if a friend wants to see how I've got my hair and make up for a night out.
Reply 4
Original post by Alpha brah
Women do not just post selfies.

Anyway - no, wouldn't give a damn. And the obvious solution if you don't want to post your friends in is to just cut out the part of the picture you are in.

This information would be useful if you were actually a female.

Anyway OP you're overthinking it mate. Post what you want, spread your personality across that page don't confine yourself to what you think people will find attractive.
Original post by syrettd
Can't you just post a photo of yourself that someone else took? I'd have thought this was what most people do for a photo...

All well and good saying that, but my group of friends aren't really the type to take photos much...
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
All well and good saying that, but my group of friends aren't really the type to take photos much...

That's what we're like. We don't have many photos whatsoever. We just can't be arsed with turning everything into a photoshoot like some girls do. Wastes time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Couldn't you just say 'Hey mate, I'm making a dating profile and need a picture, here's a camera'? Me and my friends aren't the sort of people that take photos either, but when my friend made her dating profile I took a picture for her.
Original post by syrettd
Couldn't you just say 'Hey mate, I'm making a dating profile and need a picture, here's a camera'? Me and my friends aren't the sort of people that take photos either, but when my friend made her dating profile I took a picture for her.

No. Mainly because I really, really hate contrived photos.
Reply 9
No. Mainly because I really, really hate contrived photos.

But that's what selfies are. At least if someone else takes the photo there's no mirror in the picture/weird twist of your arm as you try and get your phone out far enough to get the shot.
Original post by syrettd
But that's what selfies are. At least if someone else takes the photo there's no mirror in the picture/weird twist of your arm as you try and get your phone out far enough to get the shot.

I don't do selfies either.*

*aside from those taken to track progress.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Reply 11
I hate those group photos girls take. A massive group in a line with all of them jutting out their arses and doing duckface with **** cocktails.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Read an article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2532522/THIS-perfect-online-dating-picture-men-youre-female-THIS-photo-success.html)

that:

Zoosk study finds women get 60% more attention if photo is taken indoors

Men get 19% more attention if theirs is taken outside

Full-body photos boost both sexes success by 203%

Men get 8% fewer messages if they put up selfies

Writing using :-) smileys gets 13% more responses - but :smile: gets 66% fewer

Talking about kids and exes gets men more messages but women fewer

Reply 13

If you can find an article that isn't the Daily Fail I'll read. Sorry I just refuse to read anything by that paper I wouldn't even use as toilet paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by datpiff
If you can find an article that isn't the Daily Fail I'll read. Sorry I just refuse to read anything by that paper I wouldn't even use as toilet paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

God seriously. I don't like DM, but if you read it all the statistics are by an independent called ZOOSK. ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending