username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
Thank you
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
Thank you
Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.
username459260
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.
Thanks so much.
I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
Thanks so much.
I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused
Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.
username459260
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.
I have been told it would either stay normal or would be reduced. My question was aiming towards understanding why the latter could/would be true.
But it is comforting that you had the same confusion as I had. Nonetheless it is nice to have a plasuable explanation. thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads