Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
    Thank you
    Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.
    Thanks so much.
    I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    Thanks so much.
    I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused
    Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.
    I have been told it would either stay normal or would be reduced. My question was aiming towards understanding why the latter could/would be true.
    But it is comforting that you had the same confusion as I had. Nonetheless it is nice to have a plasuable explanation. thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2014

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.