The Student Room Group

help: Stockholm University - applying for BSc degree

Hello everybody!
Could somebody tell me if is it hard to get into a degree at Stockholm University as a free-mover?

First of all I should say I'm Estonian/Spanish (so, EU citizen), but I have done my high school in Brazil, finished in 2010, (and I studied in a very high-standard kinda special high-school, military style), so I don't have high grades from my high school, it was pretty much hardcore. But at the same time I studied a technical course in Industrial Informatics and Industrial Automation (how's that called in English? it's like 3 years, plus 1 year internship), having good grades there. Plus I'm medalist of Astronomy and Astronautics' Olympics (should I add that on my application?). Then I've moved to Spain and have been working on retail till now.

My worries are: I don't have a clue how much I need to get into the Stockholm University, I want to study there Business Administration and Political Science or Global Management, and I'd like to ask somebody that studies there to give me tips and some light because I'm pretty lost, I just know I have to translate all my documents and transcripts into English and apply for TOEFL exam (freaking out already because of it, let's say I've never studied English in my whole life and have been autodidact).

I wanna know how hard it is to get into the University. I can't even tell how my grades are yet because I don't have a clue how to convert from Brazilian system to the Swedish one.

Tack for who answer me! :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by deborahc
Hello everybody!
Could somebody tell me if is it hard to get into a degree at Stockholm University as a free-mover?

First of all I should say I'm Estonian/Spanish (so, EU citizen), but I have done my high school in Brazil, finished in 2010, (and I studied in a very high-standard kinda special high-school, military style), so I don't have high grades from my high school, it was pretty much hardcore. But at the same time I studied a technical course in Industrial Informatics and Industrial Automation (how's that called in English? it's like 3 years, plus 1 year internship), having good grades there. Plus I'm medalist of Astronomy and Astronautics' Olympics (should I add that on my application?). Then I've moved to Spain and have been working on retail till now.

My worries are: I don't have a clue how much I need to get into the Stockholm University, I want to study there Business Administration and Political Science or Global Management, and I'd like to ask somebody that studies there to give me tips and some light because I'm pretty lost, I just know I have to translate all my documents and transcripts into English and apply for TOEFL exam (freaking out already because of it, let's say I've never studied English in my whole life and have been autodidact).

I wanna know how hard it is to get into the University. I can't even tell how my grades are yet because I don't have a clue how to convert from Brazilian system to the Swedish one.

That's not the best place to ask in my opinion, TSR is aimed at British students or EU/international students that want to study in the UK. I don't think there are many people here who have studied there.
Reply 2
Hello everybody!

http://www.fek.su.se/en/Education/Bachelors-programmes/How-to-apply/

You need to apply via universityadmissions.se by 15 April.

There seems to be a fair amount of information on how to apply on that site (universityadmissions.se) as well. There is an email address for you to use to ask questions about applications on the Stockholm site, on the right sidebar. http://www.fek.su.se/en/Education/Our-programmes/Bachelors-programme/Bachelors-Programme-in-Business-Administration-and-Political-Science/

I should be applying to Copenhagen myself as a non-Dane during the next few weeks, so I understand your stress level!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ronove
http://www.fek.su.se/en/Education/Bachelors-programmes/How-to-apply/

You need to apply via universityadmissions.se by 15 April.

There seems to be a fair amount of information on how to apply on that site (universityadmissions.se) as well. There is an email address for you to use to ask questions about applications on the Stockholm site, on the right sidebar. http://www.fek.su.se/en/Education/Our-programmes/Bachelors-programme/Bachelors-Programme-in-Business-Administration-and-Political-Science/

I should be applying to Copenhagen myself as a non-Dane during the next few weeks, so I understand your stress level!

I know, I've read everything there already and already mailed them but still waiting for an answer.
Are you applying for a bachelor's in Denmark? How are you feeling about your grades?
My worries are more about it because I'm like spending lots of money on official translations Portuguese-English (astronomical values), TOEFL exam (240€), and all that stuff, and I'm betting everything on it, and I'm sooo afraid that I fail then because I don't know if my grades are gonna be good enough for them. And can't even compare because brazilian grades are very different and I can't find any brazilian thread about it, going to study abroad by there is not really popular... and less to SWEDEN hahahaha

I was thinking about applying for Norwegian colleges as well, since it's also free for us
Reply 4
I know, I've read everything there already and already mailed them but still waiting for an answer.
Are you applying for a bachelor's in Denmark? How are you feeling about your grades?
My worries are more about it because I'm like spending lots of money on official translations Portuguese-English (astronomical values), TOEFL exam (240€), and all that stuff, and I'm betting everything on it, and I'm sooo afraid that I fail then because I don't know if my grades are gonna be good enough for them. And can't even compare because brazilian grades are very different and I can't find any brazilian thread about it, going to study abroad by there is not really popular... and less to SWEDEN hahahaha

I was thinking about applying for Norwegian colleges as well, since it's also free for us

I'll be applying for Medicine, so yeah, undergraduate.

My situation is slightly different I think, because I speak Danish and therefore can look at the guidance they use for judging my qualifications, and my qualifications are from an EU country, therefore they have more info on them. There's a thing called eksamenshåndbogen which tells them how to translate my grades, and there's enough info on there for me to think I stand a pretty good chance of getting in right away. The main problem is that the GPA required has been going up each year recently and you can't do anything to change your GPA in Denmark, so once I'm shut out I'm shut out - unless the GPA required drops again. It all depends on the GPAs of those applying in any given year and where my GPA falls within them.

The info for Brazilian qualifications in eksamenshåndbogen is lacking in comparison - there's no direct Brazilian-to-Danish grade translation table or anything. Just a lot of guidance for them to do their own research and make their own decision. All you can do is apply and see what they say. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Hanover
That's not the best place to ask in my opinion, TSR is aimed at British students or EU/international students that want to study in the UK. I don't think there are many people here who have studied there.

There are a few of us lurking about here... and I've even studied the 1st term of Political Science in Stockholm...

Back to the OP - I suggest you start with asking for your Brazilian grades to be assessed here: http://www.uhr.se/sv/Information-in-English/Qualifications-recognition/

Although I know Political Science is taught in English at Stockholm Uni, I don't know about the other subjects you mention. If any of them are taught in Swedish, you will also need to prove your language knowledge by sitting the TISUS: http://www.su.se/svefler/tisus/2.23810/tisus-test-in-swedish-for-university-studies-1.90668

Even my son (educated in the UK, but Swedish as 1st language) would have to sit this exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending