Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ive lost the other thread, so im gonna write my question again.

does any one know exactly how clearing works?

do i have to wait till august the 14th before doing something or can i do anything now.

love Katy ***

Read this: http://ucas.com/getting/clearing/index.html

ReputationRep:
    i did, but its a bit too genral. i really need stuff on what are the chances of durham still wanting me, even if i dont gte my grades and stuff like that.

love Katy ***

Ahh, sorry. Best thing would be to contact Durham. When I went to one of their post-application open days, someone did ask what would happen if they didn't get the grades... they said it depended on individuals.

ReputationRep:
    hmm thats interesting.

Say you don't get your grades by 1 (ABC instead of ABB), but the marks for the subject you want to study (in my case maths) are really high. In all likelihood this would be an advantage, because it would show the university how determined and talented you are.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    so baisicly ring up and beg them, and they'll prob have me on a different course, and then ill swap in the first week.

its just annoying having to wait till august to know what im gonna b doing in october, and if im gonna have to take a year out id prefer to know a bit futher in advance than the beggining of september!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, where u wanna go to do maths???

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    hopefully sheffield if I get ABB, otherwise its edinburgh for ABC, after that im dead!

ReputationRep:
    oo, i needed AAA. i've jsut worked out that i have to get 5 marks out of a possible 28 for workings where i didnt get the finnal answer correct to b in with a chance for my a in maths???

now would b a good time to find religion and the exam marker. btw exam marker if by some freaky reason your reading this, center 68510 no:556. please take pitty its friday the 13th, and we didnt do half the syllabus.

love Katy ***

Rah, I needed AAB for Durham.

ReputationRep:
    seems a popular university, its not far away from where I live really (Newcastle).

The reasons I didn't like it, its an old city, the nightlife in the city is an oxymoron. I prefer a bit more up to date myself. Although its a nice place, don't get me wrong, you can go to the cathedral every single day and see the venerable Bede and St. Cuthberts!

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on what your used to, newcastles get a great nightlife, so to you durham would b really crap. but to someone like me who lives in the middle of knowwhere, and the only nightlife we get is infront of the telly! we have pubs, but no clubs so even durham is an improvement. and i couldnt really move to a big city, im sooo naive id probably get mugged. but if your used to living in a city you know what types of places to avoid.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    and to the unregistered rah person, are you going to durham or did u turn the offer down?

love Katy ***

Well if you don't get any of your offers, clearing means that you ring up and beg virtually every other uni in the country whose lines aren't blocked by millions of people doing the same, and hopefully one which is half decent will take you.

ReputationRep:
    well, im not sure I agree with u gregg.

I mean there might be people who have perhaps aimed a little bit too high, and were unlucky not to get their grades. Like me for example, (ABB and ABC). Now say if I got ACC, i would be more appealing (although i do say so myself ) to a university than a person who had grades CCC.

I guess it all depends on the person.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    oh I forgot to reply to u katie,

Newcastle can be quite dangerous if you have never been before. I mean everybody has their scare stories, but I bet its not half as bad as london is. If anybody has ever been to Newcastle they must have been to baja beach club or blu bambu. Those places are fun nights out, but dangerous if you don't look after yourself.

I agree with you, I would probably prefer to stay in a big city. Considering we have the most profitable TESCO (not biggest, still makes most money) in the whole of the UK just 5 minutes walk away from my house I don't think I could exchange that for your local spa.

Kind Regards,

It is stupid to choose a Uni based on nightlife.

ReputationRep:
    not stupid, but shortsighted.

I personally think shortsightedness and stupidity come hand-in-hand.

I need AAB for Durham, not got a chance of getting it now haven't had time to read all this thread, did ne1 come to the conclusion that durham mite still let us in even if we don't get the right grades? I so wanted to go!!!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.