Report Thread starter 16 years ago
what did then???

love Katy ***
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally I think nightlife, location and the convenience of nearby shops selling essentials are all integral parts of a university choice. Of course when one comes to chose a university the first thing most people look at is stature, it is only later people realise a realistic choice for them. Once that realistic choice is made, that's when they begin to look at the dorms/accommodation/town/nightlife. I myself would ideally like to go to Imperial College to study Computer Science next year, however London is an expensive place and due to financial difficulties I may end up somewhere like Warwick. At the end of the day most of these universities are fine and offer great teaching, high quality degrees and a fantasic 3 or 4 years of fun.

Good Luck to all on your exam results and I hope your 1st choice universities openly welcome you.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by texan trucker
ya its all true.. if u only miss out on ur grade by 3 or 4 marks.. maybe evn 5,, they mite still take u cos they have to accept ppl can make mistakes
I have a friend who last year wanted to go to Cardiff I think, and had to get ABB, He got ABC and the C was 2 marks off of a B, but Cardiff wouldn't accept him. However some places are much more leniant - thats the worst case I've heard of. He ended up going to Swansea instead (through clearing) and is loving it.
texan trucker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
I have a friend who last year wanted to go to Cardiff I think, and had to get ABB, He got ABC and the C was 2 marks off of a B, but Cardiff wouldn't accept him. However some places are much more leniant - thats the worst case I've heard of. He ended up going to Swansea instead (through clearing) and is loving it.
did he get a C in the essential subject.. wat subject was he goin 4
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I was originally talking about nightlife, not shops.
Don't change the emphasis.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think it all depends on the popularity of the uni, the popularity of the course and the number of people actually achieveing the right grades what I mean is if u apply to a really popular uni for a really popular course and u don't make the grades, they may not be able to take you. However, if you have applied for a less popular course they may still have a place for you even if you don't have quite the right grades Good luck everyone, I hope you all get into your first choice unis
texan trucker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well.. u see.. im guessin they make as many offers as there are spaces.. so if u dont make the grade by a few marks.. they stil have space for u.. unless they give it to sumone else .. no?.. surely they cant give more offers then spaces?!?!?!,, sumone??
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
He wanted to do psychology, but wasn't taking that at A Level as our school doesn't offer it. He was doing chemistry, physics and history, and missed the B in physics by 2 marks.

And universities do make more offers than the places available as they know some people will change there minds and not make the grades. If lots of people don't make grades, and they end up not filling up the course, then they offer those places through clearing.
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey katie, u have the same name as my girlfriend! im going to exeter next year for mech eng and after a bit of searching I found last year clearing page, on here it sated grades BBC when ive been offered BBB so im guessing they would be happy with a bbc, have a look around.....
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ahhhh cool, how'd u find last years clearing grades????

love Katy ***
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
google it! or search the relevent site, unless it is a really popular course, most unis will lower a grade
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.32%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (279)
64.43%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.85%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.39%

Watched Threads