The Student Room Group

HELP - Self studying GCSE Latin or Business Studies - URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I'm in Year 10 and I have been doing GCSE Art since September so I am a 1/4 of the way through the course. I've found that the workload is HUGE and I don't really get on with my teacher as he hates the style of Art that I'm doing, and it is really dragging my other subjects down. So this week I had had enough and decided to ask the Head if I could drop, and she was sympathetic but said that I couldn't just drop it as I'm only doing 8 GCSE's.

However, I think that she would agree to me dropping it and self-studying GCSE Latin or Business Studies instead, but I'm not sure which to go for. If it helps, I am predicted A/A* in all my GCSE's. I haven't ever studied either subject before, so it would be starting from scratch but I'm motivated and willing to put in about 3-4 hours each week, so would I be able to get A/A* in either?

How easy is each subject? At our school we don't have a Latin teacher, but we do have a Business Studies one, so he could maybe help me a bit....

What do you think?

Any thoughts will be very appreciated!

Lucy x
Original post by italyforart

I haven't ever studied either subject before, so it would be starting from scratch but I'm motivated and willing to put in about 3-4 hours each week, so would I be able to get A/A* in either?

How easy is each subject? At our school we don't have a Latin teacher, but we do have a Business Studies one, so he could maybe help me a bit....

What do you think?

Ok, so I did Latin at GCSE back in 2008 (might be a bit outdated). But I found it pretty hard, I got a B but A*/A in everything else.

Now like any language doing it from scratch would be quite difficult, Latin is a treacherous beast and I am not sure which syllabus you have. I had four exams, comprehension, translation (short + long), literature (Virgil, Cicero, Pliny) and background.

I would argue it is the hardest of all GCSEs and it is why many schools have dropped it; finding anyone to teach you is a massive challenge. Self-teaching is inadvisable. Do you know anyone who has a decent knowledge of Latin?

Now my opinion is business studies would be far easier, but that is only because the concepts would be more familiar and easier to learn/pickup.

Ultimately it is which one you find the most interesting. But think hard before choosing Latin, it is fantastic but difficult.
Reply 2
I'm currently studying Business studies (in year 10), and currently enjoying it :smile: It's really helped me understand so much more, with words that have come up in the news and made go " What does that mean?" which now, I'm totally clear on and helps me with other subjects aswell, like citizenship .

There is however, tons of words you gotta learn and memorise, alot of words. But really, its not that hard to remember. Business studies also includes finance, which may seem difficult but actually is just simple addition and subtraction! Easy peasy right?

Things I've currently studied are: What an Entrepreneur is, Starting your own business, Recruiting employees and how to get yourself a good job ( really helpful ), Product, promotion, Finance, Branding + MORE.

I would definitely say go with Business, even though I have never studied Latin, I'm definite business would help you in so many ways and would be easier , as it has helped me alot, like making me actually think about business in the future.

I also do art, which is extremely demanding and stressful, which I would swap for double business, yeah I'm serious.

Go for Business, and good luck in everything else!!

Dee

Quick Reply

Latest