Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Meulensteen sacked, Magath apponted

RIP Fulham
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And we used to think that Al Fayed was ruthless.
mr tim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think Fulham definitely getting relegated. Their 3rd manager this season. Can't keep on sacking managers tbh.

Now 8 managers to be sacked this season in PL.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"While in charge of Wolfsburg during a training camp in July 2008 in Switzerland Magath declared after a team lunch that training would be canceled for the day. Instead the players would be rewarded with coffee and cake at a nearby location with the provision that the players retain their training attire just in case. As the players prepared to board the gondola that took them up the mountain to the coffee house their delight was soon replaced with horror as Magath told them they would get there by running the full 2362 meters. They ran for two and a half hours straight up the hill with Magath running right behind the team. Their star striker Grafite collapsed before the end and had to be carried down the valley on a stretcher while other players broke down in tears as they reached the summit where they were finally able to enjoy their coffee and cake."

He sounds absolutely mental.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great. Now he can stand in at Man Utd for a bit lol.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty crazy. Sacking two managers in one season is brutal. They will go down regardless of who the manager is. Too many old players that are living off of old hype.
DannyW94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not a Fulham fan but that's actually a complete joke. Just as he appeared to be pulling the team together over the past 2 games. PL is a bit of a farce this year with all the manager sackings.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
"While in charge of Wolfsburg during a training camp in July 2008 in Switzerland Magath declared after a team lunch that training would be canceled for the day. Instead the players would be rewarded with coffee and cake at a nearby location with the provision that the players retain their training attire just in case. As the players prepared to board the gondola that took them up the mountain to the coffee house their delight was soon replaced with horror as Magath told them they would get there by running the full 2362 meters. They ran for two and a half hours straight up the hill with Magath running right behind the team. Their star striker Grafite collapsed before the end and had to be carried down the valley on a stretcher while other players broke down in tears as they reached the summit where they were finally able to enjoy their coffee and cake."

Oh my lard haha. Thought they would reach the summit when there was nothing actually there. Now that would be cruel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He was always going to be useless.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

What a legend!

This guy is going to be hilarious
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a surprise tbh. He got abit too confident that he'd do well as number one having experienced success at United and I don't think he fully adjusted to that transition. He's a fantastic coach but management is a different world. He showed his inexperience in media interviews (talking about Morrison) and despite the result at Old Trafford and at home to Villa, just never got them going.

If he wants to work as number one, maybe go to the Championship and re-build abit away from the limelight.
Abdullahi_3487
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by little_tom)
Meulensteen sacked, Magath apponted

RIP Fulham
I like fulham and to be honest with you i fear the worst for them
munelsteen was a great man; took on all fergie experience
mr tim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reliably informed that Meulensteen hasn't been sacked. Still 'head coach'. But Magath '1st team manager'. Hence no mention in FFC statement

Naturally, FFC expect that severance package will be agreed with Meulensteen but for now he is 100% still under contract with club ...
https://twitter.com/SamWallaceIndy/s...34423946104832
https://twitter.com/SamWallaceIndy/s...34685809086465

So he hasn't been sacked, yet
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

It worked though! They won the league that season. And it can't have been that hard if a guy in his 50s could do it with them.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think Al Fayed knew exactly what he was doing getting out when he did. Their squad has been in decline for a long time now and this season feels sort of inevitable, really.

Hope Meulensteen get another shot somewhere decent anyway. Thought he came across pretty well and from what I heard may have been starting to turn things around. Terrible job for him to have taken in hindsight.
CameronHayward
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's ruthless but you can't argue that they've actually gone and made a really good appointment. Dunno if it will be enough to keep them up though
little_tom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Meulensteen was no better than Jol.

It actually is a good move. He's on an 18 month contract. If they get relegated I'm sure a manager of that quality will be able to bring them back up within a season. Imo, Fulham are probably entertaining this possibility.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There was still no point in sacking him. The window just closed and he hasn't had a chance to use the players he bought. They should have signed Magath after canning Jol.

I hope that they finish last.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NathanW18)
Pretty crazy. Sacking two managers in one season is brutal. They will go down regardless of who the manager is. Too many old players that are living off of old hype.
Hi there! Zamperini (Palermo chairman) wants a word, he changed manager 5 times last season, both Gasperini and Sannino (who is in charge now) were sacked twice. Massimo Cellino, who looks set to take over Leeds is also notorious for this kind of thing, although he seems to have calmed down recently, or maybe he was just distracted by his war with local government...

Agree with the second part though, Fulham were always going to struggle when relying on players like Duff, Riise, Parker and Sidwell (amongst others) who are all well past their best, which for some of them wasn't exactly brilliant in the first place.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Hi there! Zamperini (Palermo chairman) wants a word, he changed manager 5 times last season, both Gasperini and Sannino (who is in charge now) were sacked twice. Massimo Cellino, who looks set to take over Leeds is also notorious for this kind of thing, although he seems to have calmed down recently, or maybe he was just distracted by his war with local government...

Agree with the second part though, Fulham were always going to struggle when relying on players like Duff, Riise, Parker and Sidwell (amongst others) who are all well past their best, which for some of them wasn't exactly brilliant in the first place.
I have no idea how I haven't heard of that chairman. Sacking 5 managers in a season is ridiculous. He is either insane or making very bad recruitment decisions.

That's the main problem. I look at their first team and they're all old players that are coming to the end. They're well known and people assume that they'd be able to put some results together. It just hasn't been the case. I don't think any of them were amazing. Apart from Berbatov and Duff. The rest were all second rate players.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads