The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by INTit
Which programming languages to learn depends on what you want to create.
Do you want to create desktop/business applications, 3D games, websites ? They all have languages best suited to them.

Heres an approach you can take. Using free software to learn web development, which is the easiest coding to get into.

Download and install:
http://www.easyphp.org/easyphp-devserver.php
This is a free and very easy web server setup I've seen.

Text editor with syntax highlighting for writing code.
http://www.pspad.com/en/

Follow the tutorials on here in this order:
http://www.w3schools.com/

HTML,

CSS,

JAVASCRIPT,

PHP

SQL.

The first 2 in the list are the basics the other 3 are more advanced. You will likely need to use google to supplement those tutorials especially if you get stuck. Or post questions on here.

I'll be using them all too thanks 👍

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Reply 61
What I did:
Went on udemy, looked for the video course I wanted and then searched for coupons, found a coupon and applied it and then taught myself from there.

What I used for coding:
www.koding.com - An online based IDE, it allows you to code on the cloud for free! You get your own virtual private system (VPS for short). You can use it for any language due to you getting a VPS, and therefore being allowed to install any software you like. The advantage to koding is you can code from anywhere, you also don't need to install any software on your PC.
Reply 62
Why do people love coding so much, you think?
Reply 63
Original post by Shepway
Why do people love coding so much, you think?

'Code' runs everything technical - from digital watches to modern TVs.

Imagine if we did not program - we would have a bunch of hardware stuff that could not function!

When dealing with technology, programming languages are a necessity even if they are often overlooked they represent a significance in the way we do things. You wake up and use your microwave oven, pressing the 'quick preheat' button sends a message, to radiate you bacon ASAP.
Reply 64
Original post by Grecko
'Code' runs everything technical - from digital watches to modern TVs.

Imagine if we did not program - we would have a bunch of hardware stuff that could not function!

When dealing with technology, programming languages are a necessity even if they are often overlooked they represent a significance in the way we do things. You wake up and use your microwave oven, pressing the 'quick preheat' button sends a message, to radiate you bacon ASAP.

Honestly... That's not why I code, maybe why you code but not why all of us code. I code because it gives me the power to create something, and then destroy it, oh yeah, I also like seeing people using my products.
Reply 65
Original post by Aaron8976
Honestly... That's not why I code, maybe why you code but not why all of us code. I code because it gives me the power to create something, and then destroy it, oh yeah, I also like seeing people using my products.

What do you mean by "my products"?

"maybe why you code but not why all of us code." - Does this include the guys over at IBM or Oracle?

But I do concur with your premise to a certain extent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
If you just straight out copy tutorials, you won't learn, but more rely on the tutorial as you've just been copying down without actually learning.

Always make your own programs and try your best to solve things with out C&P.
Reply 67
Original post by m93100
Hi I recently got interested in coding. I just want to learn this as a hobby and I know it will take many years and I am alright with that.

But so many websites are giving different directions on which programme language to learn. Can anyone give me a detailed approach on what to learn first - the basic and then how to improve the knowledge. Thank you. :smile:

I would recommend codeacademy.com. They have very good tutorials taht explains everything to you.

A great site where you can create cool things out of HTML, CSS and Javascript is codepen.com. Have a look and see how people have done things, its really inspirational :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by Grecko
What do you mean by "my products"?

"maybe why you code but not why all of us code." - Does this include the guys over at IBM or Oracle?

But I do concur with your premise to a certain extent.

I enjoy watching people use the things I create.

Not everyone creates things because they're useful or needed in today's society, some people create things because they simply see it as 'cool' and are passionate about it such as myself. Those guys at IBM and Oracle will most likely have different reasons for them coding compared to each other, everyone is different.

I believe there is no fun in creating something you're not passionate about.
Reply 69
Original post by gandall
I would recommend codeacademy.com. They have very good tutorials taht explains everything to you.

A great site where you can create cool things out of HTML, CSS and Javascript is codepen.com. Have a look and see how people have done things, its really inspirational :biggrin:

Thank you, I'll have a look at that. :smile:
Reply 70
No it doesn't make you a bad programmer, what you're stating is often called 'snippets'. They're pieces of code that you can edit freely.

A good programmer is someone who is good at creating solutions for a problem.
Reply 71
Books, books and more books. Before you get started, you need the proper fundamentals or else you'll just be messing around, not knowing what you're doing, which can be quite frustrating.

Effort is better spent in properly knowing what you're doing and making a design, working it out rather than debugging for hours on a problem that could have been solved if you'd studied a little.

Oh yes and here's some other great advice: write a different program every day and commit yourself to that.

This is a course similar of what I had in freshman year and it's of utmost high quality: Harvard's Computer Science 101:

Lecture series (includes all videos and course material):
https://cs50.harvard.edu/weeks

First lecture:
https://video.cs50.net/2016/fall/lectures/0?t=0m3s

He explains everything that has to do with programming, from the very basics of understanding what data is, what information is and how it is processed, to understanding algorithms and their efficiency. This can save you headaches if you notice that your randomly written program inexplicably hogs your CPU up to 100% and there's seemingly nothing you can do about it - that is, if you don't know how to properly write algorithms and troubleshoot them.

I cannot stress enough that you need the fundamentals first, rather than some random programs.
Enjoy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 571122
Books, books and more books. Before you get started, you need the proper fundamentals or else you'll just be messing around, not knowing what you're doing, which can be quite frustrating.

Effort is better spent in properly knowing what you're doing and making a design, working it out rather than debugging for hours on a problem that could have been solved if you'd studied a little.

Oh yes and here's some other great advice: write a different program every day and commit yourself to that.

This is a course similar of what I had in freshman year and it's of utmost high quality: Harvard's Computer Science 101:

Lecture series (includes all videos and course material):
https://cs50.harvard.edu/weeks

First lecture:
https://video.cs50.net/2016/fall/lectures/0?t=0m3s

He explains everything that has to do with programming, from the very basics of understanding what data is, what information is and how it is processed, to understanding algorithms and their efficiency. This can save you headaches if you notice that your randomly written program inexplicably hogs your CPU up to 100% and there's seemingly nothing you can do about it - that is, if you don't know how to properly write algorithms and troubleshoot them.

I cannot stress enough that you need the fundamentals first, rather than some random programs.
Enjoy.

Hey there! Thanks for your fantastic post, but I can't help but notice this thread is from 2014. Do please take care with thread dates in future. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending