Do humans always need someone to worship or hold in awe?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Throughout history we have rarely had a time we haven't held another human or a personification of a human (such as Jesus/God) in awe or worshipped them.

Even now we have this: Obama, the Queen, celebrities, etc. In the past it has (and still now to some extent) been religious figures, monarchs, political leaders, and so on.

It's like it's programmed into us to find a fellow human (whether real or imagined) to worship. Like we need someone "better" than us (in wealth, fame, talent or abilities) to look up to.
letspretend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, I don't watch much TV or anything but it's good to have people to look up to and people you aspire to have qualities of. At the end of the day, though, you are you and nothing can change that. You're a separate human being but I think it's natural and a good think to want to inherit others' qualities. We all desire companionship and I guess that's just part of it.

To be as staunch as to say you can't have idols is a bit dumb in my opinion because life isn't as black and white as that and if it was, it would be incredibly mundane and boring.
TheGameOfScience
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Throughout history we have rarely had a time we haven't held another human or a personification of a human (such as Jesus/God) in awe or worshipped them.

Even now we have this: Obama, the Queen, celebrities, etc. In the past it has (and still now to some extent) it has been religious figures, monarchs, political leaders, and so on.

It's like it's programmed into us to find a fellow human (whether real or imagined) to worship. Like we need someone "better" than us (in wealth, fame, talent or abilities) to look up to.
from a biological point of view,(if its real) they have the best genes which we desire, in order to pass it on to your offspring so that they can be the best, its only human nature for us to want or desire someone better than ourselves. e.g- you may like a celeb because he has very good facial aesthetics and fame, so you want your future kids, to be or have them same features.
awe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know about worship, because I've met people who don't seem to care about me at all. But definitely hold - I'm not a touchy-feely person really, so strangers coming up just to embrace me... gets annoying, yeah.

I'm hilarious.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by TheGameOfScience)
from a biological point of view,(if its real) they have the best genes which we desire, in order to pass it on to your offspring so that they can be the best, its only human nature for us to want or desire someone better than ourselves. e.g- you may like a celeb because he has very good facial aesthetics and fame, so you want your future kids, to be or have them same features.
Not sure I agree - not every celebrity/leader/worshipped throughout history has had the "best genes" - some have probably had poor genes in comparison to their flock of worshippers.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, it's not necessary or attractive. It's cringeworthy really. Humans don't need anyone to "look up to".
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Humans who do great things or become great will more often than not always attract people who believe that greatness itself is something to be attained. For example, how can you watch Enter the Dragon and not want to be like Bruce Lee kicking and punching with such power and grace? Almost every teenage boy has tried to emulate Bruce Lee.

How can you watch the Caped Crusader (Batman) and not go to bed at night and dream of wandering through the dark streets in search of criminals and gangsters. We all want to emulate such people, or at least we all have done at some point in our life. They don't have to be super great. They could be a famous poet who wrote a stiring poem or a philosopher who wrote some controversial stuff (mine is Friedrich Nietzsche). It could be your own mother and father. We all look up to our betters, and some say rightly so. It is healthy to do so, at least in moderation.
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think humans like to have someone they can look up to and see as omniscient in order to feel safe. Even atheists. I think we created the concept of god in order to answer the questions that cannot be answered. Typical humans. Always wanting to know everything
jco19
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Our society demands structure, discipline and order. Governments especially demand this. Exalted leaders represent these ideals so people are conditioned to admire them. But most people never question why they admire them. You could ask a Chinese taxi driver why he has a little picture of Mao in his taxi. He'll probably say because Mao brings good luck. Why does Mao bring good luck? Because Mao was good for China. Why was Mao good for China? They'll repeat what they learned in history class.

Why do we need the Queen? The usual answer is that it's 'culture/history/tradition' and because 'it represents stability'. So basically, this certain family has a hegemonic position over British society and has done so for a long time ... therefore ... don't change it, cause, y'know, it's a part of us now, can't change it now. If I was in House of Windsor I'd be toting that line too.

What about Barack Obama? Clearly Americans should respect him, after all he is the first half black president, and this matters because clearly this is making a difference for impoverished black Americans, right? Never mind the multi-billion dollar NSA surveillance program, yes a lot of brown people in the Middle East are being bombed by drones, yes Detroit is still falling apart, but hey that's ok. Because the president is half-black and the first lady looks great in J Crew.

Basically most humans are sheep and the powerful herd them for their benefit. No, we don't need to worship anyone or anything. But there will always be someone who will encourage you to think otherwise - either because they're a blind follower or somehow it benefits them.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see any reason to believe that "it's programmed in us to find" someone like that. Perhaps it's simply the case that there always is someone like that.

Most people are not the wealthiest, most famous, most talented person in the world, so there are always real people to look up to and use as role models. The "whether real or imagined" needn't be there, because there is always someone real who may hold such a position in any given person's mind.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Yes. We need to place our attention somewhere.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Worship? I don't 'worship' anybody but take people on their merits, achievements, potential and character.

Clearly though there are leaders, and the following leaders are able to build up has solid foundations in gang and tribal theories, and sure, it's part of human nature.

The examples of monarchs, political leaders and religious leaders in my eyes are all actually politics though, as they are trained in being political leaders, from the simple body language of standing on the left-hand side of photos, to the more complex issues such as verbal discourse. There's no denying that they are natural leaders, but they are well-trained leaders.
TheGameOfScience
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure I agree - not every celebrity/leader/worshipped throughout history has had the "best genes" - some have probably had poor genes in comparison to their flock of worshippers.
loooool mots of them do, but your forgetting that the masses have been dumb down and think that the fact that these 'worshipped' people are famous means that they have good genes and thus want their offspring to inherit that fame
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. I believe that the old power structures of Christianity in the West have largely been replaced but not done away with. We now have a mix of political and cultural (celebrity) subservience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.32%

Watched Threads