why bother being moral

Watch
Saark
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
this is a serious question, im not really into philosophy or anything like that, but I have never understood the whole being moral thing. Basically if I am evil and no body finds out then why does it matter? I mean its not like karma is gonna get me as that is bull**** and I dont think there is a god nowdays, so really why be moral? Not like its going to affect me
MangoFreak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you mean to think evilly (and this seems most likely to me considering how impossible it would be to act evilly and not have anybody notice), then sure, why not?

If you mean to act according to such thoughts, I would suggest that you should act morally because it feels nice to, but obviously you don't have to agree with that. Do it because there's always the possibility that, one day, you're going to need somebody's help/love/attention, and if you've been evil they might not give it (the really good people will give it regardless, because they give it for the first reason).

To take your logic to perhaps a wild extent, why continue to attempt to survive? If you kill yourself you won't feel any pain or loss or regret, it would be easier, it would cost less, so why not? Not like it's going to affect you.
letspretend
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
-.-
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A sense of morality and the compellence to practice such etiquettes is essentially nature's rule book. It is what prevents societal constructs within our species from collapsing and chaos reigning.
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can never do anything in total certainty that you won't be found out, except think.
Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Evolutionary benefits, i.e psychological egoism, we are moral because it is beneficial.
Human beings are social animals and morality is neccessary for us.
Why not? Why should you have the right to be immoral to others?
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Saark)
this is a serious question, im not really into philosophy or anything like that, but I have never understood the whole being moral thing. Basically if I am evil and no body finds out then why does it matter? I mean its not like karma is gonna get me as that is bull**** and I dont think there is a god nowdays, so really why be moral? Not like its going to affect me
Interest. You always do that which is in your interest.
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Are you Shaw?)
Evolutionary benefits, i.e psychological egoism, we are moral because it is beneficial.
Human beings are social animals and morality is neccessary for us.
Why not? Why should you have the right to be immoral to others?
Your kinda missing the point, you have just given a reason why the whole being moral thing exists, it provides a collective evolutionary benefit, umm I dont really care that much about society or that, like I shop in primark and that and honestly i just dont care about paying more for clothes so bangledeshi girls can go to school , just dont give a **** and most other people dont lol. The question isnt about having a right to do anything is it? Well because nothing bad happens if Im immoral to others, so why not do it if I can gain?
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Copperknickers)
You can never do anything in total certainty that you won't be found out, except think.
thats a pedantic argument, you dont not walk out the house out of fear of being shot do you? the chances are so low its just silly to even account for the possibility its a waste of your brain energy
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mockery)
A sense of morality and the compellence to practice such etiquettes is essentially nature's rule book. It is what prevents societal constructs within our species from collapsing and chaos reigning.
Just because something is in nature doesnt mean it is right, most people would say that nature is ****ed. What is inherently bad about chaos anyways?
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by MangoFreak)
If you mean to think evilly (and this seems most likely to me considering how impossible it would be to act evilly and not have anybody notice), then sure, why not?

If you mean to act according to such thoughts, I would suggest that you should act morally because it feels nice to, but obviously you don't have to agree with that. Do it because there's always the possibility that, one day, you're going to need somebody's help/love/attention, and if you've been evil they might not give it (the really good people will give it regardless, because they give it for the first reason).

To take your logic to perhaps a wild extent, why continue to attempt to survive? If you kill yourself you won't feel any pain or loss or regret, it would be easier, it would cost less, so why not? Not like it's going to affect you.
Ok so you discredited your first point already, yeah so if I can get away with it the second point doesnt stand and those 'really good people' (i know lots of them) are just cows for milking, idiots and lots of em end up depressed killing themselves, if nature is so good why set these people up for such misery?

No wrong, cos I enjoy my life, so I wouldn't do that, pretty fked up that u assume my life is a cost not a benefit.
HaQ_mAn_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also wonder about this, if you dnt believe in God or any supernatural power such as Karma etc. why be good? Where do your morals come from? Whats the point of them?
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter to you. If you do bad things to other people you will be punished.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
I also wonder about this, if you dnt believe in God or any supernatural power such as Karma etc. why be good? Where do your morals come from? Whats the point of them?
Morality predates all claims of gods/religions, research have shown that babies are natural moral beings with the basis being empathy. It's a natural instinct which of course some people such as Roman catholics Adolf Hitler, (trained orthodox priest) Stalin, and 'the suffering of the poor is something beautiful' Mother Teresa lack.
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Morality predates all claims of gods/religions, research have shown that babies are natural moral beings with the basis being empathy. It's a natural instinct which of course some people such as Roman catholics Adolf Hitler, (trained orthodox priest) Stalin, and 'the suffering of the poor is something beautiful' Mother Teresa lack.
Just because something is natural doesn't make it right..
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Saark)
Just because something is natural doesn't make it right..
Just because something is written in an ancient book by primitive people and amended and manipulated for years doesn't make it right...
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
Go hang out with Friedrich Nietzsche (I know he's dead ), he had a lot to say about morality. This is a "summary" of his idea of 'slave morality' (what the majority of people hold) :

Because they lack the strength, the courage and the guts to attain most of the best of what life has to offer, weak people develop a "sour grapes" attitude toward power, wealth, and success in general, and instead extol the virtues of restraint, patience, consideration for others, altruism, meekness, willingness to suffer without complaint, etc. The only way they can feel any self-worth at all is by insisting to each other that somehow accepting being losers makes them superior to the folks calling the shots. Slave morality is, to Nietzsche, a sickening rationalization of weakness.
But what you're posing doesn't seem to question morality in general, it's more a philosophical dilemma. You've basically reorganised the question "If I commit a sin and no-one finds out, does it matter?" to which I cannot think of a concrete answer I am stuck in two mindsets unfortunately !!!
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Just because something is written in an ancient book by primitive people and amended and manipulated for years doesn't make it right...
Just because pigs **** doesnt make them cats, why are you spouting irrelevant statements at me?
Saark
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inexorably)
Go hang out with Friedrich Nietzsche (I know he's dead ), he had a lot to say about morality. This is a "summary" of his idea of 'slave morality' (what the majority of people hold) :

But what you're posing doesn't seem to question morality in general, it's more a philosophical dilemma. You've basically reorganised the question "If I commit a sin and no-one finds out, does it matter?" to which I cannot think of a concrete answer I am stuck in two mindsets unfortunately !!!
He sounds like a wacko conspiracy theorist how can he speak on the behalf of all those people who like his sour grapes? He can't so he is just putting words into their mouths, not even once.
Copperknickers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Saark)
thats a pedantic argument, you dont not walk out the house out of fear of being shot do you? the chances are so low its just silly to even account for the possibility its a waste of your brain energy
Depends what it is you have done wrong.

Anyway, there are plenty of reasons to be moral: many serious breaches of morality are criminal offences, they are socially unacceptable, and they are bad habits which are likely to harm you. Some breaches of morality in some situations are unlikely to affect you adversely, but generally speaking its better to be moral for your own benefits, because morality is in essence what is socially acceptable to the majority of people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.33%
I'm not sure (59)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.18%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.37%

Watched Threads