LeeshaR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

Bit of a random one really.

I would love to study medicine but my circumstances are strange ...

I'm looking for advice on how I could possibly stand a chance of getting into a medical school.

I'm 26, married with 2 children and have worked for the past 8 years in adult social care and 2 years in a GPs surgery prior to that.

I left school with 'ok' GCSE's (all B-C's) and started college doing a BTEC in engineering. I didn't complete the course due to personal reasons therefore didn't get my qualification. I have since studied NVQs in admin etc, nothing relevant.

I'm trying to find my way in to medicine but not sure what's best. Are there any mature students with similar circumstance that have got in? If so how?
Would people suggest completing A Levels in Bio, Chem and Physics or would an access course be better? Which one? My local college do a health access course but I'm not sure this would be enough.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this and please be brutally honest.

Thank you!
Sparticon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not a mature student but this might help.

If you have a good degree then you could apply as a graduate to do medicine at uni. If you don't have a degree then doing another degree before applying would be one way to get in, but it would be quite a long route to take (~8 years for both degrees I think) and quite expensive. You could also do an "Access to Medicine course" - link to a useful PDF here. Those are qualifications you do which allow you to apply to a medical degree without having met the high school entry requirements.

I'm not sure about unis in England but I think that up here they like mature students to have the high school requirements when they apply, so you would probably have to do some sort of course (Access course or another degree) before applying to a medical degree.

Hope this helps a little bit!
LeeshaR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for your advice. I've checked the link out. It says what I thought it would ... That GCSE's are still just as important even as a mature student.
So think I will now retake the 3 main GCSE's (English, maths and science) and aim for A* in them all and study an access course at the same time and aim for distinctions. Then go from there.
I'd do night school for the access and distant learning for the GCSE's.
Then it may have to be a degree before applying (if I don't get in).
Sparticon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well good luck with it whatever you decide to do in the end! It's probably also worth your while getting in contact with universities and asking them what they'd recommend you do - they're the ones that make the decisions in the end after all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads