The Student Room Group

Camp America

I've been looking into doing Camp America next summer (2015) before I move to uni. I was wondering from anyone else that's gone to camp using Camp America, how much it all cost in total? I've read through the Camp America website and terms and conditions and it says it should cost around £790 in total but I've been reading other peoples posts and they've said it's worth it but you should expect to pay much more but haven't specified how much more. Could any one give me more info on the total costs please? Thanks ☺️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

I went to camp through BUNAC, I believe it to be almost identical to Camp America. There are a few 'hidden costs' - you have to pay around Β£600-800 to the company and then the rest of the costs come from your wage at camp as they pay a certain amount to the company, eg BUNAC. This results in you getting paid less than your American counterparts.

A bit demolishing but given that you've had to get over there it's not a bad deal. Expect to earn around $1500 for 8/9 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Oxtooner
Hi there,

I went to camp through BUNAC, I believe it to be almost identical to Camp America. There are a few 'hidden costs' - you have to pay around Β£600-800 to the company and then the rest of the costs come from your wage at camp as they pay a certain amount to the company, eg BUNAC. This results in you getting paid less than your American counterparts.

A bit demolishing but given that you've had to get over there it's not a bad deal. Expect to earn around $1500 for 8/9 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, thank you. I'm guessing the hidden costs are like the doctors medical note, visa etc...

From what I've read on the Camp America website, you earn around half of that going through them (they take your wages to cover other costs).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly I'd say to go with a different company than Camp America - I didn't have a good experience with them though that could be rare. I was circulating from early november and still hadn't heard anything by january, so I went to a recruitment fair where I found out that most camps only want people who are over 21 and/or have an actual qualification in their skill. Even to be the camp photographer (going round taking pictures of the campers) they wanted you to work as a freelance photographer as a career.

I'm in Scotland, so the costs may be slightly different, but it was going to cost me a good Β£1000 - I wouldn't have even broken even with the pocket money, I'd have lost money. I know that you don't go for the money, however I wasn't overly keen on losing money. The visa cost Β£120, plus the travel to/from the embassy (I would have had to go to Belfast), travel to/from the interview, travel to/from recruitment fairs if you go to them, the police check, the medical check, the travel costs to/from the airport before/after going to America plus the required $600 support funds you need to have.

I ended up not going because of the disastrous recruitment fair and because I got unconditional offers to go to uni so I did that instead. Just be careful that you know what you're getting into and have at least an extra Β£500 to what they say you need.
Reply 4
Original post by peedie pixie
Honestly I'd say to go with a different company than Camp America - I didn't have a good experience with them though that could be rare. I was circulating from early november and still hadn't heard anything by january, so I went to a recruitment fair where I found out that most camps only want people who are over 21 and/or have an actual qualification in their skill. Even to be the camp photographer (going round taking pictures of the campers) they wanted you to work as a freelance photographer as a career.

I'm in Scotland, so the costs may be slightly different, but it was going to cost me a good Β£1000 - I wouldn't have even broken even with the pocket money, I'd have lost money. I know that you don't go for the money, however I wasn't overly keen on losing money. The visa cost Β£120, plus the travel to/from the embassy (I would have had to go to Belfast), travel to/from the interview, travel to/from recruitment fairs if you go to them, the police check, the medical check, the travel costs to/from the airport before/after going to America plus the required $600 support funds you need to have.

I ended up not going because of the disastrous recruitment fair and because I got unconditional offers to go to uni so I did that instead. Just be careful that you know what you're getting into and have at least an extra Β£500 to what they say you need.

Ah thank you so much!
Sorry that you didn't get to go, how disappointing! I'll have a look at different companies now also, you've made it so much clearer..
That's so helpful, thank you for your help :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by peedie pixie

I have a completely different experience just to add to yours. So both sided of the coin. I applied in August, had my interview, was ready to place for 2 days and got an invitation for a skype interview, had my interview a week later was placed. I paid around Β£700, Β£100 for visa. I'm 18 and don't have that much experience and all the photographers at my camp just studied photography at college or are studying photography at uni. I've got about Β£2000 saved so far to spend in the US and travel to and from the airport is being helped out by friends and family. Like anything, it works for some and not for others. People's parents get angry with CA that they didn't get placements, but at the end of the day if you need your parents to complain, does that really show you can spend 3 months looking after kids away from home? CA doesn't guarantee a placement, they just help and they do have high rates of placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also recommend CA. Although the recruitment fairs weren't the best, as log as you have a strong application then you'll most likely get placed. They're incredibly helpful with their site, their vidros and customer service and I only have experience with photography at school and I've just been placed as a camp photographer in NYC. The good and bad points to all the companies and your bound to hear the horror stories and fairytales to each one. Just shop around :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by smudge_moon
I have a completely different experience just to add to yours. So both sided of the coin. I applied in August, had my interview, was ready to place for 2 days and got an invitation for a skype interview, had my interview a week later was placed. I paid around Β£700, Β£100 for visa. I'm 18 and don't have that much experience and all the photographers at my camp just studied photography at college or are studying photography at uni. I've got about Β£2000 saved so far to spend in the US and travel to and from the airport is being helped out by friends and family. Like anything, it works for some and not for others. People's parents get angry with CA that they didn't get placements, but at the end of the day if you need your parents to complain, does that really show you can spend 3 months looking after kids away from home? CA doesn't guarantee a placement, they just help and they do have high rates of placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exciting! I hope aslong as my application is strong and I get it in early then things should hopefully run smoothly.. I have experience in teaching dance, cheerleading and gymnastics so I'm riding on that.. How long did you have to wait between applying and getting an interview if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by nataliecsutton
I would also recommend CA. Although the recruitment fairs weren't the best, as log as you have a strong application then you'll most likely get placed. They're incredibly helpful with their site, their vidros and customer service and I only have experience with photography at school and I've just been placed as a camp photographer in NYC. The good and bad points to all the companies and your bound to hear the horror stories and fairytales to each one. Just shop around :biggrin:

That's so true! Congratulations on being placed. I'm guessing you got your place online then if the recruitment fairs weren't so good? When did you send off your finished application? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my finished application by October last year and thats also when I got interviewed. But I was RTP for ages from about November to February, so it takes a lot of time but be patient. Would defiantly reccomend emailing camps though as thats what got me placed and I absolutely adore my camp.
Reply 10
Original post by nataliecsutton
I had my finished application by October last year and thats also when I got interviewed. But I was RTP for ages from about November to February, so it takes a lot of time but be patient. Would defiantly reccomend emailing camps though as thats what got me placed and I absolutely adore my camp.

Ah okay, thanks for your help, I hope you have the best time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! Got RTP in October, and I'm still waiting...
I applied at the start of august, paid my application fee on August 6th then had my interview on September 12th (I think, that's when my interviewer started doing hers for this season, so it wasn't a long wait but allowed me to gather all forms and certificates to strengthen my application and to think of answers to possible questions :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I applied at the start of august, paid my application fee on August 6th then had my interview on September 12th (I think, that's when my interviewer started doing hers for this season, so it wasn't a long wait but allowed me to gather all forms and certificates to strengthen my application and to think of answers to possible questions :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You weren't messing around then haha, I think I'll go with CA and do what you did in getting everything sorted ASAP which will hopefully increase my chances of getting placed, thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha yup! are you apply for this year? Because they're closing applications soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Haha yup! are you apply for this year? Because they're closing applications soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking to apply for summer 2015 (before I move to university) so I'll start my application this August ready for next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome, I found the applications open the night before it said it would, so see if they are, because you'll be in there a bit quicker and will get first pick of interviewers in your area :wink: (hope that doesn't sound mega keen, but they do get a sudden rush of people in the first week, so it gets you in quick)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Awesome, I found the applications open the night before it said it would, so see if they are, because you'll be in there a bit quicker and will get first pick of interviewers in your area :wink: (hope that doesn't sound mega keen, but they do get a sudden rush of people in the first week, so it gets you in quick)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll keep a look out, they're meant to open August 1st so I'll just keep checking it out in the days leading up, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, did you end up going in summer 15?
Original post by PearJosh
Hey, did you end up going in summer 15?

hey, yeah I did! I went with Americamp in the end, are you applying for this summer?

Quick Reply

Latest