?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
how old are you ?
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you can afford to fork over £250 a month, you can afford to fix a few problems on a used car.

I've been looking on autotrader tonight actually... you can get some silly nice cars for less than a grand with not many miles on the clock.
jusdorange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
ok having looked at marmalade it's not a great deal ...

you would be better off getting a private deal, vauxhall do 0pc interest for example

and personally I would either get a new or nearly new car

safety is a big deal for me , and as you mentioned newer cars are much safer , id feel more reassured behind the wheel

and newer cars have cheaper insurance premiums

it's not a big deal if you lose your job, decent companies give you a break from payment , then just take car back if it's over 6 months

depends how much you value that.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
There's a whole lot of overthinking going on there and some of your (dis)advantages simply aren't. Go for a cheap used car and use a fraction of the extra cash to keep it serviced.
fluttershy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the safety side, you really won't find much of a difference between a brand new car and one up to around 10 years old. My car is nearly 5 years old, and is a 10 year old design, yet is still one of the safest on the roads (5 star Euro NCAP safety rating). The only real safety advances in recent years have been in terms of driver aides, but most of them are only on high end cars.
Second hand cars can even be safer, as by going for something slightly older you can often afford a better model and spec, so can end up with safety features that are not common brand new cars at the lower end of the market.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just took a quick look at it, compared it against the Fiat 500 from them and a PCP deal direct from Fiat which I had quoted a few weeks back.

Marmalade vs Fiat, essentially you do get your first year insurance for free. I suppose for the average 17-18 year old with no NCB that is worth around £1500-2500 for a new Fiat 500 could even be less if you take up a black-box scheme which is what Marmalade offers as well. If you go through Fiat obviously there will be the insurance to pay however interest rates are lower, you can get it for a lower deposit, also you could get up to £2000 off the list price on some and some dealers will provide you with the options for a lot less than list price. Unless Marmalade is passing on those savings as well I don't see it to be a better deal unless you live in an area where insurance is really out of this world.
jusdorange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
I just took a quick look at it, compared it against the Fiat 500 from them and a PCP deal direct from Fiat which I had quoted a few weeks back.

Marmalade vs Fiat, essentially you do get your first year insurance for free. I suppose for the average 17-18 year old with no NCB that is worth around £1500-2500 for a new Fiat 500 could even be less if you take up a black-box scheme which is what Marmalade offers as well. If you go through Fiat obviously there will be the insurance to pay however interest rates are lower, you can get it for a lower deposit, also you could get up to £2000 off the list price on some and some dealers will provide you with the options for a lot less than list price. Unless Marmalade is passing on those savings as well I don't see it to be a better deal unless you live in an area where insurance is really out of this world.
Marmalade is not a good deal

They only give you the first £1250 of insurance (check yourself with a london post code at 18 years old)

and their APR is crazy

I can't see it being of any benefit vs private
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.11%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.48%

Watched Threads